is dual pipes possible? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

is dual pipes possible?

One more question for those of you out there, im doing some heavy mods on my wee because i've been riding it for a decade now and grown just a little bored (love the bike still) but can't afford another bike at this time. I've always loved either an under tail or dual pipes on bikes for the obvious symmetry, after putting a delkevic system on my bike last summer it seems like it needs a power commander or similar tuner anyways because it's running noticeably rich. question is with tuner anyways would it be possible to dual pipes a 650? and then tune it, because, i know they likely problem is to low pressure at the muffler, or furthermore if i were to constrictor down the pipe diameter would that mitigate that pressure problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Yes, dual pipes can be done. Already done. And don't be so sure you have to tune the engine. Unless you go with a full race setup including head, mid, and muffler pipes you probably won't be changing the tuning much.

It is going to require some fabrication. I would check on SVrider.com to see if there are some SV650 guys there that have some information that would help. I would say more of them have done it than DL owners.
Big B and Hatchi like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #3 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 06:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I'll give you my original dual pipes free if ya want to come pick em up, also give you a referral to the local fabricator that made my 2 into 1 pipe

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019

post #4 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OydnaR View Post
I'll give you my original dual pipes free if ya want to come pick em up, also give you a referral to the local fabricator that made my 2 into 1 pipe
did your bike feel any different when going down the the single pipe? is it the same diameter of exhaust pipe now because i would assume you have quite a bit more back pressure not?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
TiForce USED TO do a dual can full system for the SV650, but not aware of anything currently in production or specifically for the DL650... Realistically, any muffler shop that does custom systems can probably fab something up for you...

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #6 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 08:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

FYI, the 6th gen VFR800 came stock with a dual undertail exhaust. There was one company (2 bros?) that made an aftermarket exhaust that only used one muffler, the left side was just there for appearance, it wasn’t even connected.

I saw pics from another guy made a “dual exhaust” for his DR650 - except the left side was actually just a muffler shell for a tool tube inside.

Just a couple ideas if you’re going for the looks/symmetry thing.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
FYI, the 6th gen VFR800 came stock with a dual undertail exhaust. There was one company (2 bros?) that made an aftermarket exhaust that only used one muffler, the left side was just there for appearance, it wasn’t even connected.

I saw pics from another guy made a “dual exhaust” for his DR650 - except the left side was actually just a muffler shell for a tool tube inside.

Just a couple ideas if you’re going for the looks/symmetry thing.
I feel like I have seen a few of the tubes done for the DL650, around on here. Usually with PVC tubing on the off-exhaust side, perhaps under the pannier racks. Looked like they might be pretty decent for things like tools. Can't remember any specifics about any of the threads, but you should be able to find them with a bit of searching.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granvillan View Post
is it the same diameter of exhaust pipe now because i would assume you have quite a bit more back pressure not?
There really isn't much back pressure with the stock system. Not saying there isn't a way to gain power, but the biggest power gains are when you install a full system from the exhaust port back. Just replacing the mufflers to an aftermarket "high flow" type won't net much power gain. Weight loss is probably a bigger benefit. Making it into a two outlet system will add weight.

But it does look good!

If I were going to do this to a first gen DL 650 I would get a couple DL 1000 mufflers. Either stock or aftermarket. Get the hardware to mount them like the factory did on the 1000. Then figure out where/how you want the connector pipe to run. Get one bent at a muffler shop. Cut into the side of the mid pipe and weld in the new pipe. Then make it fit the DL 1000 muffler.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #9 of 11 Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Other than looks and sound I doubt there is much positive power gain on your monetary investment. You will also be adding weight.

As for under tail I like the looks of under tail exhaust but after having a Ducati 848 with dual under tail Termignoni after about 30 minutes you a$$ was roasting. Form not on I'll continue to like the look but opt for conventional positioning.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granvillan View Post
did your bike feel any different when going down the the single pipe? is it the same diameter of exhaust pipe now because i would assume you have quite a bit more back pressure not?
yep, got ride of the 3k rpm lean spot without remapping

feels a lot faster, but because of the loud exhaust I now have ($27 Thrush Cherry Bomb), I did have to add an 8" insert to quiet it to NH legal limits 92db @ idle,

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode