No neutral light... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MAZ4ME
  • 1 Post By Sprocket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-22-2018, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

No neutral light...

So I finally had enough of not having a neutral light and started to look for a cause. Pulled the dash thinking it might be a blown bulb and found they run leds
Checked the connection for the gear position indicator and that seemed fine, no frayed or burnt wires
Pulled the sprocket cover off and pulled out the gear position indicator. Gave it and the pin a clean, out it back together and still no green neutral light. I’m a bit stumped now. Is there any way to test the gps?

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Jay
K6 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

It may not be the GPS, you'll have to diagnose this. A wiring schematic(shop manual), a 12V test light, and an inexpensive volt/ohmmeter is all you need.
I realize my bike is a different year/model Vstrom than yours, but just as an example: Power runs from my battery -->Main fuse-->Signal fuse-->Neutral Indicator LED-->GPS neutral contact--GPS ground.
1st thing I'd do is check all the fuses with a 12VDC test light. As you have no other issues in your post, you can eliminate the main fuse((it's in the starter relay) as a problem. At the GPS one wire terminal will have voltage coming FROM your neutral LED with the key in the on position. If no voltage is present you could have a blown signal fuse, open LED, or wiring issue. If voltage is present everything on the supply side of the switch can be eliminated as a cause. Another GPS wire terminal will be ground. If you place your test lamp between the GPS powered terminal and the ground terminal, key on, the test lamp should light. If not, suspect a GPS ground circuit problem. To test the GPS neutral contact, place one ohmmeter lead on the GPS signal wire terminal, the other on the GPS ground terminal, and s
Simply, you have power to the Neutral LED, then to the GPS looking for ground, which is only available in the GPS neutral position. Your specific wiring diagram may be different, but that's the gist of it. Good luck.
Dashing likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-23-2018, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
It may not be the GPS, you'll have to diagnose this. A wiring schematic(shop manual), a 12V test light, and an inexpensive volt/ohmmeter is all you need.
I realize my bike is a different year/model Vstrom than yours, but just as an example: Power runs from my battery -->Main fuse-->Signal fuse-->Neutral Indicator LED-->GPS neutral contact--GPS ground.
1st thing I'd do is check all the fuses with a 12VDC test light. As you have no other issues in your post, you can eliminate the main fuse((it's in the starter relay) as a problem. At the GPS one wire terminal will have voltage coming FROM your neutral LED with the key in the on position. If no voltage is present you could have a blown signal fuse, open LED, or wiring issue. If voltage is present everything on the supply side of the switch can be eliminated as a cause. Another GPS wire terminal will be ground. If you place your test lamp between the GPS powered terminal and the ground terminal, key on, the test lamp should light. If not, suspect a GPS ground circuit problem. To test the GPS neutral contact, place one ohmmeter lead on the GPS signal wire terminal, the other on the GPS ground terminal, and s
Simply, you have power to the Neutral LED, then to the GPS looking for ground, which is only available in the GPS neutral position. Your specific wiring diagram may be different, but that's the gist of it. Good luck.
Thanks mate I値l give it a go!

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Jay
K6 650

post #4 of 5 Old 12-26-2018, 12:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

At the gauges, the wire that provides voltage to the neutral light also provides voltage to the speedo/tach backlighting. So, if the backlighting of your gauges is working, you can be pretty confident the problem is either with the neutral light LED itself or the ground (earth) side of the neutral light circuit.

Here's a way to verify that the neutral indicator light is not burned out. At the big connector on the left side of the bike near the front of the fuel tank cowl (it's in a black rubber boot), locate the blue/black-stripe wire, and with ignition switch on, short that wire to ground (bare metal on the frame). That completes the circuit to the neutral indicator light, so it should light up. Don't decouple the connector; come in from the back side of it with a needle probe. If this test lights the neutral indicator LED, the problem is probably in the ground path.

The ground path for the neutral light circuit passes through a diode in the turn signal/side stand relay (adjacent to the fuse box) before it gets to the GPS. If you can verify continuity through the gear position switch between the blue wire and the black/white wire with the transmission in neutral, I would suspect a faulty diode in the relay. Or, it could be as simple as a corroded contact between the relay and its socket. Be sure the ignition switch is off before you decouple the connector to the gear position switch or remove the relay.

Good luck.
Dashing likes this.

Blue 2007 DL650
post #5 of 5 Old 12-26-2018, 08:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just because its an LED doenst mean it cant go bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode