I Delkevic'ed My Wee Today - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-01-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Hmm
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I Delkevic'ed My Wee Today

I was kind of skeptical about a Delkevic exhaust for my K8 Wee but after receiving it, the thing looks like there is quality in their manufacturing. I went with the 14" carbon fiber system and after getting it on the bike, I was really happy with the looks of the thing. The carbon can seems to match up with my flat black paint job really well. I need to source 3 replacement pipe clamps in stainless to replace the clamp on the front header and the 2 on the back pipe. The ones that came with the system don't quite squeeze down enough to totally seal the connections. They aren't loose enough to spit or tick with exhaust but I would be happier with replacing the system clamps to get things nice and tight. The sound is great. I pulled the baffle out and rode it and did not think it was too loud. After a bit, I will decide if that baffle should go back in or not. Overall, very pleased with the fit and finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delkevic.jpg (588.3 KB, 51 views)

Bill
I been down around Houston Texas where the sun shines most of the time.

2008 Wee current
2014 Spyder RT LTD current

Past - Yamaha 850, Honda Nighthawk 700, Honda GL1200, Yamaha FJ1200, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Honda GL1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-02-2018, 06:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Good looking bike. I had the same color 2008.

Is there still the crossover tube that connects one header to the other under the engine? I never understood what that is for. The two headers enter the collector a few inches further downstream.

2014 One Thou Pow!
post #3 of 21 Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Hmm
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshbar View Post
Good looking bike. I had the same color 2008.

Is there still the crossover tube that connects one header to the other under the engine? I never understood what that is for. The two headers enter the collector a few inches further downstream.
Yes there is a crossover tube just like the stock exhaust. I'm not sure what the crossover is for either but I know a lot of stock exhausts on bikes have them along with the aftermarket stuff.

Bill

2008 Wee current

Past - Yamaha 850, Honda Nighthawk 700, Honda GL1200, Yamaha FJ1200, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Honda GL1800

post #4 of 21 Old 12-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
Yes there is a crossover tube just like the stock exhaust. I'm not sure what the crossover is for either but I know a lot of stock exhausts on bikes have them along with the aftermarket stuff.

Might be to equalize back-pressure?
Bill Brickley likes this.

Ed Jones
VN Veteran 69 101st AB
STOC # 5950
AMA Life Member

2013 DL650A Adv. (Weester)
97 ST1100 (Shasa) SOLD

Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...... ;>)
post #5 of 21 Old 12-03-2018, 03:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have the SS version on my '11 Wee. I found only 1 of the clamps insufficient. I contacted Delkevic and they sent me their next smaller clamp and although they said it would be too small it worked to my satisfaction. I didn't use the supplied sealant. I laid a bead of it and another product. Once cured the other product did not shrink as much and was more flexible. Time will tell I guess.
I do not find the sound too much different with or without the baffle, so I left mine in (so I wouldn't lose it, HA!).
I first ordered the 9" can. Now that can is painfully loud!
This is the first aftermarket exhaust I have ever put on a bike. I was only looking/listening for a different sound. It is a bit too loud but I like it.

Sp56

Last edited by Southpaw56; 12-05-2018 at 02:19 AM.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-03-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Hmm
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw56 View Post
I have the SS version on my '11 Wee. I found only 1 of the clamps insufficient. I contacted Delkevic and they sent me their next smaller clamp and although they said it would be too small it worked to my satisfaction. I didn't use the supplied sealant. I laid a bead of it and another product. Once cured the other product did not shrink as much and was more flexible. Time will tell I guess.
I do not find the sound to much different with or without the baffle, so I left mine in (so I wouldn't lose it, HA!).
I first ordered the 9" can. Now that can is painfully loud!
This is the first aftermarket exhaust I have ever put on a bike. I was only looking/listening for a different sound. It is a bit too loud but I like it.

Sp56
I rode on the highway a bit the afternoon after the installation. The next morning I checked the front clamp and could not find any exhaust gas around the header pipe. I guess that heating it up on the road may have expanded things and taken care of the slight leak. That is really good to know that Delkevic came through for you with the smaller clamp. I put my baffle back in yesterday after putting in 150 miles and finding it wearing on me a little. I will check and see how it sounds on my next ride. One thing I liked was the sound without the baffle when I closed the throttle all the way coming to a traffic light. It reminded me of a big Ducati even though my bike is just a 650. I always wanted a Ducati just based on the sound but I spent a hell of a lot less on this bike and this exhaust. Those stainless pipes are turning a beautiful shade of gold too.

Many thanks to all of the forum people who contributed to my decision to buy the Delkevic exhaust.

Bill

2008 Wee current

post #7 of 21 Old 12-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I installed the 14 inch oval on my 07 Wee and couldn't be happier. I went with polished SS. I too tried without the baffle and found it most annoying. Overall quality is great. Easy installation. No increase in power but much improved sound. I like the looks much more than the stock plastic shield. I was tempted to go with the carbon fiber look but others claim it discolors with age.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-04-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Hmm
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Willy Winky View Post
I installed the 14 inch oval on my 07 Wee and couldn't be happier. I went with polished SS. I too tried without the baffle and found it most annoying. Overall quality is great. Easy installation. No increase in power but much improved sound. I like the looks much more than the stock plastic shield. I was tempted to go with the carbon fiber look but others claim it discolors with age.

Oh come on Winky. Don't rain on my parade!!

Bill

2008 Wee current

post #9 of 21 Old 12-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry man, didn't mean anything by it. I read the complaints on the SV forum but it was from a long time ago. Apparently the carbon fiber was a bit too thin. They may have added a bit of thickness to quiet the complaints. The folks at Delkevic were very helpful when I asked about reducing the sound by a few decibels. Initially I felt it was a bit loud, even with the baffle but after a few rides I find myself enjoying it. The carbon looks perfect on your bike. Mine is a lighter grey metallic. I felt that the polished stainless looked best on mine. After a year of riding I love this pipe more than ever.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-06-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Hmm
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I was just joking with you bud. No offense taken. Glad you are liking your Del as much as I am liking mine.

Bill

2008 Wee current

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode