Headlights not Working - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hatchi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Headlights not Working

I am having an issue with my 2007 vStrom Headlights going out? I would have thought it was the bulbs themselves but the hi beam light on the control panel doesn't even come on when you turn them on and off make me thing something else. I rode it last night about 25miles with no problems. On my way back turn it on lights won't come on at first, I rode like 500 yards blipped on for 3 sec then. Off. I rode home with emergencies on the whole way lol. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2018, 12:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

The tiny starter switch contacts can overheat from all the headlight current going through them. Here are some good contact cleaning instructions from BlackLab:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/maintena...ance-pics.html

The other problem area is the four connectors above the radiator that get soaked with water from the tire. One of them carries the headlight power. Clean the pins, spray them down with acf50, then slide a piece of old inner tube over them leaving the aft end open and the front end tie wrapped closed.

Install the H4 dual headlight relay from Eastern Beaver as a preventative:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
realshelby likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2018, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Unfortunately a well known and documented issue, fix the issue and then install headlight relays.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 5 Old 11-21-2018, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
^ what they said. Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit is worth many pennies of sanity in the long run. When it arrives, pop the relays off (the black rectangles) and hit the pins with a wad of dielectric grease. They should last a long, long while.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
post #5 of 5 Old 11-23-2018, 03:14 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode