LED headlights, now a VR concern - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 Old 12-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidator View Post
The series regulator, for bikes not using the available 400W for loads, reduces heating of the stator by approximately the ratio of actual load to 400W. (Why this is so likely require's an EE's understanding. Because the current remains pulsatile with the series regulator, its RMS value almost tracks its average value.) For a design close to the edge of failing, and frequently on the wrong side of that edge, the heating reduction makes a big difference in longevity. See the Arrhenius equation for why this is so.
Disclaimer -- wiring and circuitry and how electricity works are, to me, second only to synchronizing 2+ carburetors on the same engine in terms of the Dark Arts.

Over the summer, I had my Strom in for the stator and tappet recall. I am the third owner of my bike. How would I know if I have one of those doohickeys connected to a thingamabob, or if none present, what should I install* to help extend the stator life?

*or have installed. I did install one of those video doorbells on my house, all by myself, this past weekend and it actually works. I even successfully used a multimeter to measure voltage at the doorbell button so I knew which wiring diagram to follow at the transformer. However, this is the extent of my talents with electrical stuff.
FirePig likes this.

2013 DL650A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 12-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePig View Post
The post above by Trepidator mentions a recall on stators. I don’t remember hearing of this before. What years are covered? I have a 2008 DL650A.

Within this list can be found the recall letter for the stators on 2012-2016 Wee bikes.

It should be noted that this letter claims that the "stator may have insufficient heat resistance due to the assembly process", which is a falsehood. The stator has insufficient heat resistance because, by design, it is dissipating over 4 times the power permitted by conventional, prudent design recommendations for oil-filled transformers using magnet wire with the same insulation temperature class. I know that Suzuki has not recognized any obligation to be honest about this design error because, when I spoke with their customer representative after my 2nd stator failure in 15 months, I was told that they were unaware of any issues or excess failures. For that reason, I do not take their blame of "the assembly process" to be anything more than PR or legal CYA.
FirePig likes this.

Last edited by Trepidator; 12-05-2018 at 03:08 PM.
post #23 of 24 Old 12-05-2018, 03:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Disclaimer -- wiring and circuitry and how electricity works are, to me, second only to synchronizing 2+ carburetors on the same engine in terms of the Dark Arts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Over the summer, I had my Strom in for the stator and tappet recall. I am the third owner of my bike. How would I know if I have one of those doohickeys connected to a thingamabob, or if none present, what should I install* to help extend the stator life?

*or have installed. I did install one of those video doorbells on my house, all by myself, this past weekend and it actually works. I even successfully used a multimeter to measure voltage at the doorbell button so I knew which wiring diagram to follow at the transformer. However, this is the extent of my talents with electrical stuff.
Assuming that by "one of those doohickeys connected to a thingamabob" you mean a series regulator installed by a previous owner: If the dealer (or authorized repair facility) did the stator recall service without mentioning discovery of a non-stock regulator, you almost certainly have the stock, shunt regulator.

Depending upon how many miles are on the bike, and your taste or opportunity for battery charging failures far from home, the regulator replacement may not make sense. If there are many miles on the bike and on the stator just removed this summer, you may be among the fortunate portion of the DL-650A owners whose magneto has average or weaker than average rotor magnets, which reduces stator heating. (This is one of the least-controlled variables affecting stator life.) If that is true, (which is difficult to be sure of without removing the rotor and making some measurements of magnet strength), your stator may last as long as the bike runs. The newer stator design may have higher temperature wire insulation, or some means for better conducting heat from the windings to the laminations, yielding enough margin improvement (even if the margin is still negative) to get the stator longevity comparable to typical overall bike longevity. So I cannot say that you have to install a series regulator to avoid stator failure. If you just ride close enough to home that having to haul a dead bike back is an acceptable inconvenience, continuing to "rely" (ha!) on the stock regulator may make sense for you.

What I can say is that when I contemplated buying another DL-650 for use on the opposite coast of the U.S., I counted, as part of its cost, the effort and expense of installing the series regulator. As an electrical engineer, I cannot countenance running the stator at the 30+ Amp current level that design (with the shunt regulator) necessitates, regardless of the recent stator design tweak.

There are plenty of words and pictures in this forum showing how to do the replacement. If you look them up, I am sure you will see it as within your capability given that you're willing to tackle some wiring and use a meter.
Toshbar and SuperG like this.

post #24 of 24 Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidator View Post
What I can say is that when I contemplated buying another DL-650 for use on the opposite coast of the U.S., I counted, as part of its cost, the effort and expense of installing the series regulator. As an electrical engineer, I cannot countenance running the stator at the 30+ Amp current level that design (with the shunt regulator) necessitates, regardless of the recent stator design tweak.
Previous owner of my old 650 installed a CompuFire regulator on the bike after the first stator meltdown.

If you don't know what CompuFire is, it is a series regulator that the VW crowd likes to install on the old Beetles.
Trepidator likes this.

2014 One Thou Pow!

Last edited by Toshbar; 12-05-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode