2005 650 hard shifting, intermittent - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2005 650 hard shifting, intermittent

Hello Strommers!

I've had my 2005 650 for maybe 3 years now. Bought it with 39,000 miles, now over 60k. I've read in the reviews how slick shifting the tranny is, but ever since I've owned mine the shifting is intermittently clunky and stiff. I'd say over half the time I have to pull significantly harder on the lever than is normal, finding neutral is difficult, etc. Sometimes it does indeed shift very easily and smooth. It's a night and day difference.

Some facts:
- Have run both Rotella T 15w40 and Mobile 1 10w40, no difference
- I don't notice any difference in this based on the mileage on the oil change
- The clutch is smooth, normal, consistent in its action, and adjusted properly
- I thoroughly cleaned and greased the shifter pivot and linkage joints, no difference

I did a search and didn't come up with this exact issue. Has anybody else run across this? Thanks!

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 07-04-2018, 06:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Sometimes it is just a matter of adjustment, not only clutch but chain as well. Some threads to read: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...my-clutch.html, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...-actuator.html, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...top-light.html and https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...djustment.html.
Hope you are able to solve your gear shifting problem.
richlandrick likes this.
post #3 of 49 Old 07-04-2018, 06:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadS View Post
Hello Strommers!

I've had my 2005 650 for maybe 3 years now. Bought it with 39,000 miles, now over 60k. I've read in the reviews how slick shifting the tranny is, but ever since I've owned mine the shifting is intermittently clunky and stiff. I'd say over half the time I have to pull significantly harder on the lever than is normal, finding neutral is difficult, etc. Sometimes it does indeed shift very easily and smooth. It's a night and day difference.

Some facts:
- Have run both Rotella T 15w40 and Mobile 1 10w40, no difference
- I don't notice any difference in this based on the mileage on the oil change
- The clutch is smooth, normal, consistent in its action, and adjusted properly
- I thoroughly cleaned and greased the shifter pivot and linkage joints, no difference

I did a search and didn't come up with this exact issue. Has anybody else run across this? Thanks!

Jeremy
I had this issue. Do this:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/4718337-post37.html
richlandrick likes this.

post #4 of 49 Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks fellas, good stuff to check. The clutch adjustment at the sprocket is particularly compelling, and I'm about to install a chain and sprockets anyway.

Do you guys understand how the chain slack affects this?
post #5 of 49 Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Make sure the pivot at the handlebar lever and the little socket that holds the cable nipple are lubed well.

DO NOT LUBE THE TEFLON COATED CABLE!
K9 Wee and Motorpsychology like this.

…....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 49 Old 07-05-2018, 04:56 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadS View Post
Do you guys understand how the chain slack affects this?
I wouldn't suggest it if it would not be of any help. On it own, it will not do much but in doing a clutch adjustment only you may find that the problem is not resolved. Try the chain adjustment as well and let me know what you think. Of course once you have checked for clutch cable binding.
post #7 of 49 Old 07-05-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ok. Does the chain's contribution tend to be from being too loose or too tight?
post #8 of 49 Old 07-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

A chain that is too loose can contribute to driveline lash, making it more difficult to be smooth when releasing the clutch after shifting. You risk accelerating wear on the countershaft bearings when road irregularities cause your suspension to flex if your chain is tighter than specified in your owner’s manual.
post #9 of 49 Old 07-12-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Folks,

Update: I adjusted the clutch and tightened the chain just a bit. (The chain really needs to be replaced, hopefully this Saturday.) But I think the shifting is a little better. Interesting, I found the adjustment at the engine to be right at 1/4 turn per spec, I adjusted to a "tight" quarter turn, maybe 3/16 of a turn Then adjusted the bar cable end adjuster per the manual, ~1/2" free play.

I still find it interesting that this bike, after all the reviews of how slick the tranny is, can be so persnickity about tiny little adjustments.

Does the chain tension's contribution to notchy shifting tend to be from being too loose or too tight?

OH, and where can I find the tool (rods) for aligning the rear wheel?

Thanks again, Jeremy

Last edited by GearheadS; 07-12-2018 at 03:55 PM.
post #10 of 49 Old 07-13-2018, 04:32 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Visual aid on chain tension, google "youtube + v-strom chain adjustment" or follow instructions in your user manual.
As posted before, too much slack can be dangerous and too little slack can cause leaks or chain to snap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode