Preload adjustment without center stand? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By CPR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-29-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
CPR
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Preload adjustment without center stand?

Greetings. I'm a newb to motorcycles (used to trail ride) and the V-strom. I am planning a moto/camping trip in a month or so, and am thinking about how to set-up my suspension for the load. Also, I'd like to know how to make rough adjustments for taking the odd passenger here and there.

I have looked at The Science and Black Magic of Suspension setup, and a good basic video by bearded_vstrom_reviews on youtube (I don't have permission to post links yet, sorry).

Unfortunately, I don't have a center stand, so I'm not sure how I'd go about adjusting the preload as the video and post suggest. Also, an odd observation I made just playing around with the rear pre-load knob - The bike was set to basically zero when I bought it (used), and I can get only 4.5 of the 5 'rings/threads' to show when I crank it all the way up. Is that blatantly weird?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Hey man, I don't have an answer for you, but I am pretty much in the same boat as you so I would love it if you could find one. I want to make sure I've got the preload set correctly for when my wife I an hit up some motocamping in a short while.

-Forithan

'03 Shadow VLX
'09 VStrom DL650A
post #3 of 6 Old 05-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you exercise the knob operation up and down, you may get all 5 to show. Stuff gets stuck when it isn't used for long periods of time.
You could try bouncing the bike on the suspension to get the shock to cooperate. Sit on the bike and get lardassed with it.
If the shock is buggered, Sasquatch does a nice rebuild.
Adventure Power Sports, LLC

Sometimes the handle is hard to turn and needs to be taken apart and lubed. Mind the springs and disappearing ball bearings.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
CPR
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Thanks @notacop and sorry about the long delayed response (don't ride much in the winter here in Chicago!)

I'll try bumping her up and down a bit next time I adjust the pre-load to see if I can get the full range. I'll probably avoid taking the shock apart unless it becomes a real issue.

I doubt this will help anyone but I have just been winging it, cranking it up a couple notches when moto-camping (with heavy load) or taking a passenger, and back down when riding solo. It handles decently, and I never seem to bottom out. Good enough? I hope so!

Thanks.
notacop likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 09:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Your approach can work. If the bike doesn't bottom out and you are comfortable, what the heck!
Cheers!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

CPR, in my mind, you really need to get your suspension redone by a suspension expert. Standard is too soft in terms of spring rates and not enough dampening to be really effective offroad.

I've had my forks redone so far, and they make a world of difference - different shim stacks and stiffer spring. Shock next (and thankfully, my suspension expert says the Gen 2 Vee shock is decent enough to warrant retaining, just reshimming and stiffer spring).

Tyres are also important. And make judicious use of ABS and traction control - each are a boon to this bike INHO.

Can't do much about ground clearance, but the payoff is low centre of gravity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
center stand , preload , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode