StromTrooper banner

How is a DL650 at 85-90 mph highway?

22K views 78 replies 49 participants last post by  Niteryder 
#1 ·
Hello
I'm looking for a second bike (commuter bike) and someone suggested an older (2004-2007 vstrom 650) for my budget and needs. It does seem exactly what I'd want in an all-arounder.

Wondering what its like on the interstate at 85mph/occasionally 90mph. Also how is roll on throttle speed in top gear? I have an S1000RR and of course it's fine at 90mph, roll on throttle in 6th gear at 80mph is great as well. I use that when traffic pattern is staggered and I want to get around cars without necessarily downshifting a couple gears.

thank you

#3 ·
You won't like it then. The 650's acceleration at those speeds is nowhere near brisk in 6th. The engine does not have the power to pull red line in 6th. Be aware the speedo is about 8% optimistic. Maximum horsepower is at 8500rpm which is slightly over a true 80mph in 5th gear. Torque starts dropping after 7000rpm and horsepower after 8500rpm or a true 82mph. It's 85-90mph acceleration in 6th is very slow.

www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/VStrom05B.pdf#search='dl650 060'

#4 ·
Not a Rocket ship..............

The Vstrom 650 is an excellent touring bike with an upright seating position. 85-90 is an insane speed to cruise at, it's NOT a 1000cc rocket ship with 100+HP. I would suggest 60-70 to be a more realistic speed for the 650Vstrom. Others may disagree but just my 2cents worth.
Zooming along at 90 mph on a public road is only going to end up in tears. :scared:

#5 ·
I did several cross country trips on my 2005 DL650. Out west we could cruise at 85 to 90 for hours at a time and I did with passenger and full luggage. The only problem was keeping it below 100.

However, I would not recommend it on a routine basis. Chain and sprocket wear go up fast at those loads. I would suggest an early ST1300, FJR1300, Concourse, or similar sport touring bike. They last forever and are comfortable at those speeds.

#14 ·
I agree the DL does a great job at 80 or 90 on an open interstate where you have miles to get up to speed and you just hang there. What he seems to be describing is something else. He wants to "zip" at those speeds. It seems like while my 650 can cruise at 85 all day with no problem. It kinds of lumbers up to those speeds and kind of needs to stay at a constant speed if I am much over 75.

#7 ·
Thanks all
Oh boy. --- Should I think about the D1000 then :( ?

If I do end up finding a D650 for a good deal, I hope the seller will let me blast it for a bit to see how it does feel in those scenarios. It does look like a perfect bike for what I need.

#11 · (Edited)
Love my 650, but for your described purpose, get the 1000.

Last year, out west, I found the 650 fine fully loaded and cruising at 75 to 85, but it was VERY thirsty at that speed ~33-38 mpg instead of the typical ~55mpg that I get commuting. Also, I found that it lacked passing oomph on long inclines so common out west. On several occasions a bunch of cars got backed up behind a semi or two struggling up hill, and We would get a one mile passing zone. By the time it was my chance there was little passing lane left, so I needed to sprint to 90+ uphill, fully loaded with camping gear, about 65lbs below max gvwr, and was wishing for more grunt. I made it, but would have gladly accepted 25 ft/lbs more torque and more hp.

If you are just commuting, get the 650. If you are a big guy, ride two up, or loaded on long trips, you might prefer the 1000.

#8 ·
While the DL1000 (my experience is with the 2014+, but I assume earlier years would be similar) doesn't have gobs more power than the 650, it has no problem getting up to 100 mph fairly quickly, and will happily accelerate from there if asked.

#9 ·
A 650 can do a real 75mph all day, day after day. It will not accelerate quickly from 85-90 though. I would not want to run those speeds anyway. 75mph is plenty fast.

#15 · (Edited)
My current sprocket tooth setup on the K6 Wee is 16F/45R. At 140 km/hr (85-90 mph range), the Wee ticks over at roughly 6K rpm in 6th gear at this speed.
The Wee will pull in 6th (without too much "throw me back in the seat" wow factor), from the 140 mark to past the 200 km mark. Slow going after the 180 mark, but it will get there, if the road allows. Did the test myself on the track, with a gentle wind from the rear and on the back straight.
While short busts of high rpm is good for the soul, the bike running long distance at 5-6K rpm is no problem. Anything above 6K rpm, the Wee starts to get thirsty, so under 6K rpm and one can live with the fuel economy.
There have been reports (on this site) of oil vapour in the air box with continued high rpms. To me, the grin factor comes with using the gears vs high rpm and the cornering ability. The bike loves to rev. You just have to find what works best with your setup.
The Vee 1K just gives that bigger gin because it does the rpm vs speed a lot quicker, plus it has more power when it comes to carrying a passenger and /or luggage or both..

#16 ·
"There ain't no replacement for displacement. " I'm very happy with the 650, but I don't ride 2 up or with a lot of luggage. If you really need more power, the larger engine is the only way to go. Various sprocket ratios on the 650 won't do it, they don't create additional horsepower. Dropping the engine rpm in a higher gear will only result in slower top gear acceleration, as the engine will be struggling from an area of lower HP. Stock gearing is designed to have the rpm in the sweet spot of the power band at normal cruise speeds. If an extra boost is needed to get from 75mph to 85 or 90, a quick downshift works. If it drinks a bit more fuel that's just the cost of operating an internal combustion engine.

#17 ·
Cruising at 75 mph and higher is where the DL 650 starts to come up short. Yes, loaded down my 650 with electronic cruise control will hold 75-78 mph out west even going up most mountains without losing speed.

But it is near wide open throttle at times and turning lots of rpms for tank after tank. Plenty of proof here that rpms don't seem to hurt anything. But you can just feel the bike working hard and I like a bike in those conditions that is more relaxed.

The DL 1000 can do this without breaking a sweat and will likely get the same fuel mileage under those conditions.

I have owned both the 650 and 1000. The 1000 is simply the clear winner at 70+.

Oh, and for you speed limit Nazi's, the posted speed limit in part of Texas is 85 mph.

#18 ·
You may also want to consider how the aerodynamics will be affected at that speed. There are huge threads regarding buffeting and wind noise on the Stroms which seems fairly common on adventure-style bikes. Even with an aftermarket windscreen, my 650 got a pretty noisy at 75mph and above. If I stood up in the clean air, life was great but behind the windshield, not so much. I don't know but would assume the SV1000 has pretty smooth air flow.

Going to a 1000 might solve the power issue, but you should really try to get a ride on one and push it up to 85. My Fjr is great above 75mph. Plenty of power and wind management is great. 65 and below and the Strom was my favorite but it's interstate nearly anywhere I go.

I wish there was a way to rent basically any bike for a weekend. It would be a lot cheaper to throw out a few hundred bucks testing a bike for a weekend rather than making a purchase then regretting it.

#19 ·
My two cents: I own a 650 and live in Utah. What’s been said of the bike is true. I can cruise 75 to 80 and have done so on a number of occasions. It sucks gas quickly at speeds higher than 75. Acceleration is anaemic, too - you’re just not going to zip around a truck, unless you whip the tar out of the bike (redlining in 4th or 5th gear). It can be done (it has been done... ) but it’s just not ideal.

As for lane splitting and zipping in and out of traffic, I’m not convinced a heavy semi-ADV bike is what you want for that anyhow. Every bike is a compromise. If you’re going to spend most of your time on the road at speed, get an appropriate bike (FJR1300, for example) and wait patiently on the occasion that you can’t easily lane split because cars are too close together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Thank you everyone for giving me a better idea of how the 650 vstrom would fare for my situation. I did look for the liter vstroms and for my commuter bike budget (really want to stay under $3k - better even $2500) I found one but it has 67k miles. Appears well maintained but that number just sounds high. Probably isnt from what ive read about the 650: some saying the motor just goes forever.

#22 ·
I have an 04 that I sought help with yesterday about a fuel pump that I rectified with help from Here.

The bike has been amazing.

After 14 years, little things are coming on that are completely routine such as replacing seals and wheel bearings. Might have to look at the stator now.

I have NEVER had major problems with it.

As for cruising, I've ran it 82 or so for a day. It will do it without complaining, but it isn't its Forte and has little roll on power left.

I'm not sure about the current generation but 07s are lack luster IMO. My 04 is noticibly stronger bottom end. I think they got more emphasis on fuel efficient in those years.

#23 · (Edited)
OP,

Yes a DL1000, any year, can do it and be more comfortable than a sport touring bike around town. All bikes are compromises, it all comes down to what your needs are, but a DL1000 can do it without breaking a sweat.

First time I ever rode a DL1000 was on the North Cascade Highway in WA state. I went from the east side to the west side of WA state at those speeds (actually much faster) completely oblivious to the gorgeous scenery I was missing. The bike loved it.

#24 ·
My 2006 DL650, with over 100,000 miles and very heavily loaded, happily ran all day long for two and a half days at real speeds of 85 to 90 mph (fwiw the temperatures were in the 85 to 95 degree f range for most of the first two days) It needed an oil top-up at the end of each day. That ws from Utah to the Greater Toronto area.

I did similar day long rids at those speeds in my 2012 DL650.

While there isn't a ton of reserve power at those speeds the 650 motors are very happy at high speeds.

..Tom

#27 · (Edited)
If you are looking for superbike performance, comfortable riding position, inexpensive (relative to what you get)......that may be a bit of a unicorn but, you might look for a CBR1100XX. They are usually way underpriced for what you get, and are virtually bulletproof. The fact that the design is timeless is just a bonus.

An example of what is out there. I don't know anything about the bikes, but if you look, there are bargains to be had.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1997-Honda-CBR1100XX-122109722

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1997-Honda-CBR-1100XX-Blackbird-5001046792

#28 ·
Blackbirds would be neat although I dont care for Hayabusa type bikes. Already have a super sport (dont want a hypersport) : do want something can put a top case on / saddle bags and have some utility and commuter fun with :)
The Vstrom seemed to be it

#29 ·
I have a Blackbird and I wouldn't exactly call it a "hypersport" (that's what I could classify your S1000RR as). More of a SPORTtouring bike. I liken it to a Aston DB9 or Bentley GT. Fast, handles well, comfortable. Capable of going cross country without crippling you. As for topboxes and saddlebags.....lots have them.

As others have said, the 650 runs out of breath at the speeds where you require some reserve. You need the 1000. Good luck with your search.

#32 ·
I actually cruise at those speeds (85-90) for about 100 miles daily and I use my SV650s a lot of the time. I've tried a lot of sprocket ratios but really that motor has no problem doing those speeds. With a 15/44 or 15/45 ratio I get about 56mpg and I weigh 200 lbs. I find that motor is in it's zone around 7000 rpm and you don't need to downshift to pass. Heck at a 15/44 ratio I don't even hit 6th until at least 70mph.
I realize the SV is different from a DL but because of how flexible this motor is at those speeds I'm looking to replace my BMW with a DL650. I don't think you will be disappointed if you go that route.

Reactions: V-Tom
#33 ·
The Weestrom does not have the power for quick passing maneuvers when you're already doing 80+. It will run 100 quite easily and 80-90 is a comfortable sustained speed provided no long steep hills but you will not have a great deal in reserve for acceleration and will lose the 650's miserly fuel consumption benefit over bigger bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.