2011 battery not charging? - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 Old 10-12-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
Are the battery terminals and ground connection to the frame properly fastened?
Sure looked like it when I checked the voltage last night. But it was dark by the time I got home; I'll check them in the light, too, in case something's visible.

2011 V-Strom DL650 - Canadian in Tarzana CA
Previous: 1994 Yamaha Virago XV535

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 10-12-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPacker View Post
No. That was only possible with gravity-fed, carbureted bikes that used magnetos to provide the spark. With a modern fuel-injected bike, both the ECU and the fuel pump require continuous power in order for the bike to run. If the charging system (rotor, stator, rectifier, regulator) is not providing this power, then the power has to come from the battery. Which will run out at some point in time.

In a pinch, people have bought car batteries - the largest their top box would hold - and wired this into the electric system. A big car battery can run the ECU and fuel pump for several hours, especially if you make sure all the other electrics (heated gear, lights, ...) are switched off. Then take the battery off the bike and into the hotel room to charge overnight.

An alternative solution would be to ride home with a mate and swap batteries every 30 minutes to an hour. You are then effectively using your mates MC as your charging system while you are running down his battery.
Those are all very helpful hints for possible weirdness in the future! Thank you!

It's only 18 miles/about half an hour from my place to the mechanic I'm going to see, so if the bike indeed starts fine on Saturday morning, I should be OK. I hope.

(I wish there were electrical outlets in the parking lot like what I'm used to back in Canada, then I could plug in a charger. But this is California, you don't need to plug in your car in the winter, so no such luck.)
Old Time Rider likes this.

post #23 of 34 Old 10-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

On the Wee its real easy to just reach under the faring and unplug the head light if battery in doubt on a trip.I did it 200 miles from home and was the 12v outlet wire bad.Did not use turns unless had to and since I motor brake most the time tail light on did not take much. Lots faster than pulling a fuse if you have to unload your camp gear on the side of high way.
robertyknwt likes this.

post #24 of 34 Old 10-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Location: Seattle in the summer and East Cape, Baja in the winter. Perfect!
Garage
test that battery first..

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
I would try to charge the battery and see if it holds a charge or if it in effect is defective. There is always the chance of an early demise of a battery.
Charge the battery and drive it to Autozone. Have them test it (free service). If it has extremely low charge you know the battery is bad. If not you have eliminated the first potential source of the problem. If you change the stator out with a bad battery you are burning $$$.
post #25 of 34 Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

12.8v standing voltage is a good number and = a full battery.

12.08 with the ignition on is also a very good number so I would say your battery is fine. (testing this over a 2 minute period would be better)

14v also tells me your charging system if working well.

If those numbers are correct and they persist your bike is fine.
robertyknwt likes this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #26 of 34 Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
12.8v standing voltage is a good number and = a full battery.

12.08 with the ignition on is also a very good number so I would say your battery is fine. (testing this over a 2 minute period would be better)

14v also tells me your charging system if working well.

If those numbers are correct and they persist your bike is fine.
All of which is exactly why I think it's a flaky. Loose connection somewhere, probably. I'll try the ignition-on voltage test over two minutes and see if anything different happens. Thanks!

post #27 of 34 Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

My V2 has a single LED headlight and I only get 11.5v with the ignition on so your 12.08v tells me your battery is loading better than mine & I'm happy with my numbers.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #28 of 34 Old 10-13-2017, 12:59 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madstrom View Post
Don't rule out anything in your diagnosis....
Long, long story short I get it home and find this after pulling off the plastic, tank, and airbox. The cable from the R/R to the stator had chaffed against a bolt on sharp edged angle bracket and rubbed through to the bare wire creating an intermittent short.

I put the bike back together and three the 3 leads from the stator read 60+ volts after the repairs. The whole thing came from a sloppy factory cable routing. It's still charging fine at 38,000+ miles. min 3.8vdc at idle and steady 14.1vdc on the road.

I have to wonder if that is what happened to me as well - I had 14K on the bike when I took it in for the valve recall - and the stator recall hit while they had the bike - since they had the parts, they did that repair at the same time. And then spent 4 weeks trying to get the bike to run and/or charge again. They wound up replacing the entire wire harness - fortunately covered by Suzuki since the bike was fine when I brought it in, so the provocative maintenance ( or planned malfunction - PM in any case) was blamed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
madstrom likes this.

2014 DL650A
post #29 of 34 Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If trouble shooting gets bad, the guys a West Coast GP Cycles might be able to help 1-626-239-0239
Alex and Pete do a lot of work on Dl650's and SV 650's.
They are in Monrovia just off Huntington Dr.
post #30 of 34 Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

WEE OEM battery vs Walmart EVERSTART

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
DL650 batteries generally last 4 years. You may be due.
A Walmart Battery is as good as a Yuasa from a dealer. That should spark some comment, but I believe it is true.
I was just going to ask how long one of these sealed OEM batteries should last, my ride is now over 4 years old.
I ve never dealt with this type of BATT before. I would just get the plain ol' EVERSTART 18NLA50-A3 from Walmart for my last ride, a one owner 1991 GoldWing. Had that machine for 25 years and it was ridden (therefore charged) and water level checked, all year around. One of those $49 Everstarts went in and I wrote the install date on it with a Sharpie..Seven years later, it came time to replace it as the electronics would wear the battery down due to lack of riding/charging. Thats pretty good service-life for a "cheap" battery.

I'll have no hesitation getting another for the WEE once the current one dies.
richlandrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery , electrical , ignition , start , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode