DL650 gearing??? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

DL650 gearing???

Hi everyone i am relatively new to the site and wonder if anyone can help me on the subject of gearing. My new/used K5 wee strom is a little low geared in my estimation (110km at 5,000rpm) would like to know if anyone has geared up their bike and if so by how many teeth, front or rear ? and what is standard gearing combination ?
Would appreciate the feed back.

Bundy_gandalf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

The stock gearing is a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 47 tooth rear sprocket. Many people switch to a 16 tooth front sprocket for a little more top end on the highway (wont be looking for that 7th gear). I was going to myself, but I think i'll stick with the stock setup for now.

[b]Member 037 of the Flat Black Club[/b]
post #3 of 21 Old 08-05-2008, 06:26 AM
cjc
Stromthusiast!

I agree...in my estimation, the Wee is perfect for anything from dirt roads to two lane highways. It's not good for trail riding and not ideal for interstate highways. I do run interstates (only when I have to), though at around 6k rpms and it does just fine. I'd much prefer to stay off interstates, I just don't find them much fun. I wouldn't want my first gear any higher, so I'm staying with the stock gearing. I think Suzuki got it right.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy_gandalf View Post
Hi everyone i am relatively new to the site and wonder if anyone can help me on the subject of gearing. My new/used K5 wee strom is a little low geared in my estimation (110km at 5,000rpm) would like to know if anyone has geared up their bike and if so by how many teeth, front or rear ? and what is standard gearing combination ?
Would appreciate the feed back.

Bundy_gandalf
This subject has been discussed at great length. Try search. Bottom line, it depends on 1) how you use the bike and 2) your personal preferences.

The wee engine has plenty of mid-range torque and can easily pull higher gearing. It also revs easily and smoothly and can run comfortably all day at 6K+ rpms. It really only matters in 1st and 6th since all the ones in middle overlap anyhow.

I'm running a 16T sprocket on my '04 because I like the slightly more relaxed revs at highway speeds. Having come to the wee from a relatively slow-turning ST1100, it just feels more natural to me. Riders who come to the wee from cruisers will probably feel the same way. OTOH, those who come to the wee from an inline 4 or a small displacement twin will probably not be bothered by the busyness of the engine at all.

Theoretically, the bike should be capable of slightly better fuel mileage with the taller gear - that would depend on how the rider uses the throttle of course. FWIW, I can get high sixties (67-69 mpg) on 10% ethanol fuel if I work at it. I use 6th as an overdrive and usually ride in 5th in urban/suburban areas (i.e below about 55 mph). All else being equal, sprocket life should be slighter better with the larger sprockets since the wear is spread over a larger area. For the record changing to a larger sprocket will not increase the "top end" since the stock wee (mine anyhow) won't quite pull redline (10.5K rpm) in 5th much less 6th even with stock gearing.

If you rarely ride on high speed roads or if you ride 2-up you'll probably be happier with stock gearing. OTOH, if you spend a good deal of time 1-up at over-the-road speeds, you might like the taller gear better.

Jim Randall
DL650, SV650, KLR650, DR350S
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 21 Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have switched to a 17 and love it. The bike is quite capable of pulling at that ratio, but 6th does become OD. I spend all of my time on the street and probably would not like the 17 if I was riding dirt/gravel roads, much less trails. I don't believe gas mileage will improve, I did it to get a more relaxed feel at speed. I usually travel at an indicated 80 to 90 MPH.
bill.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Changing to a 16 tooth front sprocket and a taller windshield (Givi in my case) made the Wee perfect for me. 30,000 miles and counting.
post #7 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy_gandalf View Post
Hi everyone i am relatively new to the site and wonder if anyone can help me on the subject of gearing. My new/used K5 wee strom is a little low geared in my estimation (110km at 5,000rpm)
This has been discussed exhaustively, but the question no one has asked yet: why do you perceive that it is "a little low geared"?

It's a high-revving engine. It likes it that way. What's the problem?

Seems like most people who convert do it for weird subjective reasons (they just don't like the engine speed), which seems silly to me.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtalk View Post
This has been discussed exhaustively, but the question no one has asked yet: why do you perceive that it is "a little low geared"?

It's a high-revving engine. It likes it that way. What's the problem?

Seems like most people who convert do it for weird subjective reasons (they just don't like the engine speed), which seems silly to me.
Mine is quite comfy spinning between 6 and 7K. I figure it is designed to spin so let her go.

If I were to do anything it would be to drop a tooth or two. I rarely go on the super slab and do a lot of trails so the extra slower ability without playing with the clutch would be welcome.

Nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced.
Albert Einstein

14 DL 1000
15 Capo
post #9 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 01:20 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
One of the nice things about a chain final drive is it can be easily adjusted to fit individual tastes. Each rider can determine what best suits their needs.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
post #10 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Had a battle going on in my head about gearing for a few months after I got the Wee. Glad I left it alone.

05 / 650 in blue
88 / KDX 200 in green
81/82 DT 175 Yamahussies
79/SP 370 Suzuki-bad bike-no keep
78/ GT 750 water pumper
75/Suzuki 125 RV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode