darkside? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650 and DL650A - 2004 to 2011 DL650 from 2004-2006 (K4-K6) and DL650 or DL650A from 2007-2011 (K7-L1)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 101 Old 03-15-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

darkside?

I know I am probably going to get flack for this but my new to me v Strom needs a back tire replacement. I have a new set of anakee 2 tires but don't want to use them. I am trying to find some of the tires mentioned on this site but haven't had any luck. That being said will any 205-50/17 tire work? I like the general altimax HP but haven't heard of anyone using them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 03-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Did you use the little google box at the top of the page? There has been copious amount writted about them car tires.
And yes, it's a terrible idea that works well for those who like them.
post #3 of 101 Old 03-15-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Did you use the little google box at the top of the page? There has been copious amount writted about them car tires.
And yes, it's a terrible idea that works well for those who like them.
Why yes I did and thanks for being a smart a$$!! That being said did you use spell check? I am not real sure what writted is. As a matter of fact I have been reading about it for the last few hours but haven't seen anything as to why people are sticking with certain tires.

post #4 of 101 Old 03-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Dang,,,, what a way to make friends!

But, back to the topic. I think the General Altimax is discontinued but notice the "think",,,, could be wrong.

There are definately some 205/50s that fit and work better than others. I've seen one 205 that was huge for a 205 and really wouldn't fit well. Can't remember the brand though.

If you are going in blind and are using a tire that you have seen nothing writted about:mrgreen:,,,,,, take a peak at the bead area and if that tire has a very pronounced rim protector molded in, stay away!

I'm gonna try RanyO's General Artic somethingamanothers next time. Basically a snow tire. He and others have rated them as being a good option.

BTW, I used a 205/55 to gain a bit more height in the rear. Just an option.

[LEFT]Endeavor to Persevere[/LEFT]
[CENTER]Blue Skies Coming![/CENTER]
Pics-
[url]http://s563.photobucket.com/home/Judd-McCutcheon/allalbums[/url]
post #5 of 101 Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judd View Post
Dang,,,, what a way to make friends!

But, back to the topic. I think the General Altimax is discontinued but notice the "think",,,, could be wrong.

There are definately some 205/50s that fit and work better than others. I've seen one 205 that was huge for a 205 and really wouldn't fit well. Can't remember the brand though.

If you are going in blind and are using a tire that you have seen nothing writted about:mrgreen:,,,,,, take a peak at the bead area and if that tire has a very pronounced rim protector molded in, stay away!

I'm gonna try RanyO's General Artic somethingamanothers next time. Basically a snow tire. He and others have rated them as being a good option.

BTW, I used a 205/55 to gain a bit more height in the rear. Just an option.
Thanks for the reply!!!!

I may try the arctics if I can find them. I have the altimax HP on a car and they have been great but would hate to spend the money and not have them work.
post #6 of 101 Old 03-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

For what its worth, 205/50/17 is stock tire size for 03-05 Dodge SRT-4's (might help with searches).
Id know, just look at my user name lol
post #7 of 101 Old 03-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Not intentionally smart assed, lots of folks want a direct answer to an oft asked question and I've found that little box to be my friend in the search for truth, justice and the American way.
There is another replay in a Dark Side thread active today. That's why I suggested the search.
Some folks have no sense of humor at all and have never played with the language.
Maybe PM some of the responders to the Dark side threads and find the ideal tire for you. I know Vegashotwheeler is a user.
post #8 of 101 Old 03-16-2014, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
Not intentionally smart assed, lots of folks want a direct answer to an oft asked question and I've found that little box to be my friend in the search for truth, justice and the American way.
There is another replay in a Dark Side thread active today. That's why I suggested the search.
Some folks have no sense of humor at all and have never played with the language.
Maybe PM some of the responders to the Dark side threads and find the ideal tire for you. I know Vegashotwheeler is a user.
Thanks for the info I have sent a couple people pm's but the sent pm's are not showing up in my sent folder. Not real sure if they are getting them or not. Sorry if I mistaken your response as being smart assish and please forgive my smart ass comment as well. I am here for the same reason as others..... to learn. Thanks for the replies so far.
post #9 of 101 Old 03-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't sweat the small stuff. I come across as a weird-o anyway.
I find that when I use that google box I can read until my eyes are sore.
TMI is seems sometimes.
post #10 of 101 Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
There are some pretty good threads available on the forum for you that would no doubt help with your decision......although I am totally against a car tire on a motorcycle.:biggrinjester:

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom ďDoloresĒ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode