StromTrooper banner

Scraping peg filers, center stand even exchaust 2019 dl100 xt

5K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Kruno 
#1 ·
Riding towards Stinson beach SF, which has very tight turns, I ended up scraping pegs, center stand even bit of exhaust pipe where it bends close to center stand. Peg filers, scraped several times.

I also have gsx-s1000 that Im riding on that route often so Im very familiar with every turn.
Im bit disappointed with this lack of clearance.
I had dealer played with suspension, but he did not measure sag to adjust it to my weight, he just tighten it up a bit.
Riding the same route again I think it help a litle but I was not going that hot, so not sure.
I understand that I should ride strom differently, but it feels so unnatural to drag a knee with this bike.

I have ordered risers to raise bike 0.8 inches in the back only. Will se how that works.
Im 5.9 and can flat foot bike, for now.

I have also install sw-motech belly pan, which sits now lower then that exhaust bend. I did not ride it hot yet.

Im not planing to spend money on aftermarket suspension yet, but if this continue to be an issue, and custom suspension would help I might doit.

any recomendation??

See less See more
#3 ·
As above set your sag, it makes a big difference on a Strom

#5 ·
If the bike is grounding then just keep jacking up the spring preload (especially on the rear) until grounding stops and adjust the rebound damping accordingly. If the bike is still grounding then stronger springs are required. I measure sag on my dirt bike where it is critical to a smooth ride offroad but imho the seat of the pants is the best sensor to handling for normal road use.

At 81kg in my normal clothes I run the rear spring preload on my 16 Strom at about 75% of max setting. I am not as inclined to raise the front much as it will slow the steering. I think the standard springing is just about right for my weight solo.

#7 ·
My first thought is - it isn't a sport bike. I have the same issue with my 2004 DL1000. You just can't throw it into a corner the same way that you can throw my FZ1 into the corner - the angle just isn't available due to all the low hanging parts. You'll never use up the side of your tires on a V-strom, you can't get to them ;)

Reactions: Spec
#8 ·
Agreed.

Until riders progress to be limited by the bike, they are limited by their skills, abilities, riding technique. Which is usually, but not always the case, when responding to peg scraping complaints.

Heavy emphasis on "usually," rarely, but occasionally "not always." When you progress to the "not always level" you are truly talented rider.

#13 ·
In my case, I've never scrapped my pegs in 35 years of riding and over million miles. But I did scrap my knees a lot. Destroyed many leather pants by scrapping my knees. But that's just me and my riding technique. If im going into a corner "hot", my body leans as much as needed and bike stays upright as much as needed, not the other way arround.
But that's just me and my technique.

#18 ·
In my case, I've never scrapped my pegs in 35 years of riding and over million miles. But I did scrap my knees a lot. Destroyed many leather pants by scrapping my knees. But that's just me and my riding technique. If I'm going into a corner "hot", my body leans as much as needed and bike stays upright as much as needed, not the other way around.
But that's just me and my technique.

Yepper.

I don't get riders bragging about using all the edge of their tires on the street. To me that means that they don't have any traction left in reserve. Dragging a knee on the street routinely too.

The street is not a track.

#14 ·
In my case zero chicken strips on Michelin Road 5 rear and almost zero on the front. However nothing ever touches down unless I hit a dip in a tight bend when heeled well over and even that is rare. I would tend to go with the "lowered" theory in relation to the OP's bike although he hasn't responded since the first post.

#16 · (Edited)
I have ordered risers to raise bike 0.8 inches in the back only. Will se how that works.
Im 5.9 and can flat foot bike, for now.

any recomendation??
Sorry, I should have caught this before. It is highly unlikely that anyone 5'9" would be able to flat foot that bike as it comes from the factory. Did you buy the 2019 bike new or used?

What is your inseam? Generally it takes about a 33" or 34" inseam to flat foot the bike with both feet. Maybe you meant just one foot, but still it woudl seem like it would have needed to be lowered.

Also are the fork tubes flush with top of the triple clamp or raised above the top surface? If you bought your 2019 used the front may have been lowered by the PO.

#17 ·
Sorry, I should have caught this before. It is highly unlikely that anyone 5'9" would be able to flat foot that bike. Did you buy the bike new?

What is your inseam?

Also are the fork tubes flush with top of the triple clamp or raised above the top surface?
You beat me to it. I was JUST going to post. Something is really wrong with his suspension and/or set up.

#21 · (Edited)
I can totally flat foot 2019 v strom 1000xt adventure model that I bought with 0 miles.
In fact I'm 5.8 and half inches bare foot.
My inseam is 30 inches .

I just got out and Im flat footing in gym shoes.
let alone in boots.

Front forks are flush, I have tighten rear shock as much as I could, this improved cornering al lot, I mean I have only scraped peg filer once.

Those of you that have never ride towards Stinson beach in SF, look it up.
Those are tight corners and I'm no pro.

also I weigh 175 pounds out of shower

is it possible that it came lowered from factory and dealer didn't tell me???

markings on triangle link is 8KC, what ever that means???

is maybe seat lower on 2019 xt stromm adventure ???

now when I think back I was test riding 2018 model and it did feel taller, then this one 2019 xt adventure.

#22 ·
Hmmmm, something is wrong with your bike. Was it maybe ordered by somebody who later cancelled the purchase and it was sitting at the dealer? Did he give you special discount just to get rid of that bike?
I'm 6f2,5" with 34 inseam and, as I said, can flat foot one feet and the other one still needs 1cm to get flat onto ground.
I owned 2014 model and now I own 2018 model, both purchased new, and the hight is the same.

#24 · (Edited)
I just came back from a dealer, bike is completely stock, no suspension mods seat is stock.
I sat on 2018 xt 1000 and I can flat foot that bike too.
Dealer think that only seats have been changed vs older model, that they are more narrow.
which older models I don't know.I have newer sat on one prior buying this one. exception 2018 which I took for test ride and i thought that seat was higher but its not, that bike is still in shop.
Cycle west in Petaluma is the dealer.

#30 ·
what should is check with preload knob? now I have it almost all the way tight

I just measured my inseam; is 32inches from floor to crotch, bare foot.
I do wear pants 33W 30L

this is getting ridiculous

I sat on 2018 xt and I'm flat footing it
It took a while, but now it's starting to make some sense. So, 32" + 0.5" for boot soles + say 1.5" for sag (you're a lightweight) and you're at 34" - flat footing territory. Add to that the over soft suspension when you first got it and you got some hard parts scraping.

I was going to ask if the seat had been modified (made narrower at the front), but maybe the newer models' seats are a bit narrower at the front - who knows? Ride it some more now and see how things go.

Cheers,
Glenn

#28 ·
Your inseam measurement doesn't sound right to me LOL. I have never dragged any hard parts on the Stroms I have owned, and I ride plenty aggressive/spirited. I do however set up my suspension sag correctly, and make changes as needed depending on how loaded up. Recently upgraded my front springs to straight rate .95 racetech units, the front end is now so compliant and no more pogo bouncing. I will eventually have my rear unit rebuilt appropriately, once proper suspension is dialed in for a rider.....the difference is literally night and day.

#29 ·
When I scraped all this things, suspension was as I bought it, everything was to soft, after tightening suspension, it was better but I still dragged peg filler.
I am very interested upgrading all of the suspension and will probably doit before spring.
I looked for ohlins rear, I can’t find it for 2019 dl1000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.