StromTrooper banner

changing V2 XT high beam

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bosnjo 
#1 ·
Dear All,

is there a trick to changing the high beam on a 2018 XT. not the low beam which definitely requires the removal of the dashboard. The high beam, the H9 bulb.

Can it be done without removing the dash? what are the tricks please for anyone that's done it. Again, a 2018 XT.

Thanks much

#3 ·
There are never stupid questions. The high beam traditionally doesn't get as much use so lasts longer. Maybe not so many actually have been changed. Or maybe the one guy who has changed it is out riding and hasn't checked in yet. It could be an educational experience to pull the dash, anyway, in case you want to do something under there in the future (wiring for mods or something).

Cheers,
Glenn

#4 · (Edited)
I just reached down from the front left side of the bike in front of the forks (turned to the left) and feel that I have clear access to the High beam that way. I don't recal if that was how I did it when I put in the LED H9. It doesn't look to me that removing the instrument panel makes any difference.

..Tom

#6 ·
I replaced both my high and low at the same time. At first I was hesitant on removing the dash but it really is very simple so if that has you concerned, don't be.

#11 ·
And by the way, before removing the dash learn how to operate the clips holding it, not to break something.
Very important. I spent years with my 650 having no idea how they worked. Broke a couple.

Essentially, use a small rounded tip, push the center pin in gently, just enough for the clip to release. Then use your finger nails to pull the clip up. When you get it out push/pull the center pin back out so it sticks out above the rest of the clip... then re-inset gently and push the center pin in to lock.

Easy once you know the above and have done it a couple of times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.