Will Not Start, DL1000, 2017 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Will Not Start, DL1000, 2017

Had an interesting day yesterday. First up was a new headlight bulb at the shop all good. Then a 60 min ride and after a refuel it would not start. Turns over but no fuel pump prime to be heard. No gear indicator on dash and the dreaded “chec”. Got a tow back to the shop. And of course nothing to be seen starts normally when I get there. Sent on my way, and then 2 km on the way home it stalls at the lights and same issue. They collect me and now it’s in the shop. 2017 DL 1000. I don’t believe in coincidences is there anything that could be dislodged or loose behind the dash from the lightbulb replacement that could be the cause. It was the low beam bulb. They must have had battery disconnected as the clock was off, but they have said they checked terminals etc...Any help from the brains trust appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have come to the point where anytime something goofy like this happens I suspect the clutch safety switch. The relationship between this switch and the ECU is a known issue with the GSXRs and it is a fussy little switch. Sometimes the switch just fails, internally. It can get misaligned from handling like using tie-down straps. It is simple for your shop to eliminate it as a suspect but I've learned that not all shops think about it on the V Strom even though they check on the GSXR. It seems that both bikes have ECUs which share some DNA.

In my case my bike went into "limp mode" in the middle of a ride for no known reason. I had the code light come on and the instrument info disappear. If I pulled over and stopped for a while it would be okay for a few miles with no code showing and then fail again. After a couple of days and tank on / tank off / tank on etc. I took it into the shop. They tested this and that. Then I read a somewhat unrelated post from Greywolf in which he asked the OP if the bike would turn over without pulling the clutch lever.

Fast forward, I now have a spare clutch safety switch taped to the bottom of my seat.
Be sure to let us know ...

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #3 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
No start, no prime with the Check message I would be looking at the kickstand switch and the engine shut off switch.
Big B and realshelby like this.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

post #4 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
No CHEC message associated with the clutch safety switch.
realshelby and NVDucati like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
No CHEC message associated with the clutch safety switch.
True. And as of at least this past spring, no Suzuki service advisory to the dealers. The dealer I use confirmed it via phone with Suzuki HQ.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #6 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 09:52 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

It is none of the usual suspects as the motor turns over. (if that is still the case)

No check with a clutch switch issue and the motor would not turn over.

A check and a hold out for the stand is not evident if the bike is in neutral.

A check for the kill switch will stop the prime but will also stop the motor turning over.

The 10amp ignition fuse will show a check but the motor will not turn over.

The 30amp fuse will leave everything dead.

What is displayed on the dash where it would display what gear you are in ?

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thank you everyone for your comments. The shop phoned today. Faulty wiring loom. They could get it started by wiggling the wiring "at the back". They could make it stall by wiggling as well. New loom on order ex. Japan, 2 weeks. Under warranty.
Big B, HokiesRWee and oldjeep like this.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

How many miles on the bike? Never had problem before? I'm not a bi believer in coincidence either.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy_11 View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments. The shop phoned today. Faulty wiring loom. They could get it started by wiggling the wiring "at the back". They could make it stall by wiggling as well. New loom on order ex. Japan, 2 weeks. Under warranty.
Glad to hear they got it sorted! Sounds expensive if it hadn't been under warranty

Just wanted to add when they replaced the bulb it is highly unlikely they unhooked the battery. When you take the dash off there is a plug in for the wiring for the dash and one for the 12V socket. Both of those are unhooked to remove the dash and it resets the clock, distance to empty, etc.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #10 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
Sounds expensive if it hadn't been under warranty
when mine got cancer and turned green, it cost me about $1k

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode