StromTrooper banner

Miles till empty when full

7K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  dct73 
#1 ·
2018 1000xt. When I fill up with gas it says 230 miles till empty. I swore it used to be around 300. What does yours read.

#2 ·
That value is going to vary with how the bike is ridden. If you are experiencing headwinds or terrain changes where more throttle is needed the reading will be lower.
I'm going by what my old BMW used to read. But I'd imagine the algorithms are similar.
I used to love seeing the mpg reading jump 199 when coasting downhill.

#4 ·
The range is calculated in part by the fuel mileage over (roughly) the last 10 miles when you are going through the tank and when you fill the tank it only has the fuel mileage over those (roughly) last 10 miles to base the range on.

..Tom

#9 ·
Your weight and cargo will make a difference. Wind, humidity tire pressure all add (or subtract) moreso than in a 4 wheeler.
The shape of the tank makes a difference in distance to empty, too. With a full tank, there is fuel in the broad, upper portion and as it gets closer to empty, the remaining volume is in the narrower, more vertical portion, and the float will move farther relative to the volume of fuel consumed. Think of a glass of water with a straw. the glass representing the tank when full, the straw when it's near empty. As you sip through the straw the minute quantity the narrow straw rises and falls notceably, the water remaining in the wider glass moves much less.

#12 ·
Update: rode mine yesterday on the way back from the gym until it read "---" miles til empty. 225.6 miles total out off that tank. Got scared to push it any farther and stopped for fuel. ? Filled up with 5.05gal for the 5.3gal tank. All my riding on this tank was done back and forth to the gym maybe 20miles around trip speeds 55-65mph open 4 lane hwy. No weight with the exception of a top case empty. Range read 252miles til E upon refill. Only made 225.6 mile on that tank. I think the gauge is more accurate the closer you get to empty which I'm fine with!

#16 ·
Mine is 2014 but I'm pretty sure the instruments are the same. Over the years I have run it flat out od gas twice. Both times I knew there was no hope of getting to gas. I went into hyper-miles mode. After I got to the "--" it went 13 more miles the first time and 17 miles the next time.

#18 ·
I have never paid to much attention to the fuel monitoring system on my 2014 V2, each time I fill up I would do a quick calculation in my head as to how far I will safely get from a tank of fuel as it changes so much depending on how I'm pushing it or the load I'm carrying.

I have just got back from a 1500 kilometre trip with a lot of mixed riding conditions and decided to test it out over that trip and was very surprised to find the displayed "range" was spot on every time.

As my GPS told me I was closer to my destination the range measure would also drop by a the same amount.

From now on I will be far more trusting of my display.

Next I will work on the actual range left when the bike displays a range of zero.

#20 ·
Tip #!: Always Ride Downhill.

My '17 DL650 will have a "positive attitude" after a fill-up through the first 60-70 mi/96-112km. Immediately after filling, it will show a range of 260-275 mi/416-442 km. for the first 60-70 mi, the bars show Full and the range drops less than the actual distance travelled, even gaining range, so that at 70 mi/96km it can be displaying 315mi/506km. Adding the actual distance travelled yields 385mi/620km for the full tank. As the fuel gets used and the bars disappear, the range gets more and more accurate again until the last bar is blinking or gone, and the range displayed is quite close to what it originally was at fill-up.
I think this has to do with the shape of the tank. When full, the float is measuring the fuel in the wider part of the tank, so it is lowering at a slower rate than when it is measuring in the narrower, deeper rear portion of the tank, and going lower at a faster rate.
Yeah, I know:nerd:

#21 ·
V2. Rode the three sisters with wifey over the weekend. Highway riding to and from our mileage wasn’t that great no top box but had the shad SH23 side cases. Combined rider weight of two healthy adults maybe 400ish pounds. I only kept track of one of the fill ups, and that was because the fuel light was flashing and wifey was concerned we would be stranded on the side of the road. 4.8 gallons over 155 miles is just a little over 32mpg. Speed limit 70-75 much of the way and we were trying to beat the sunset if that tells you anything

#24 ·
My 2014 showed 430km a few times when I was tripping up North. the trick was to use non ethanol fuel, 92 or higher, and to keep the RPM's below 4k all the time.
Recently, I re-learned how much more efficient non ethanol is. Drove my 2000 Tundra to Reno from California. The tank was essentially empty on arrival. Filled it up for the return trip with non ethanol and l still had over half a tank when I got home. Not scientific and I acknowledge that Reno is at a higher altitude (uphill). But still a huge difference.

I mention this, not to bang on fuel laws but that when we talk about fuel mileage here we should include the ethanol content as a part of the baseline info.

Reactions: Webfors
#23 ·
Seriously, around 600km several times. As judged by the k's covered and the amount of fuel put in - not by the km/l on the display. I haven't done the full 600k's, but 400 and 2/3rds of a tank of gas when I stopped. And yeah, it takes slow speeds (~80kph) and 6th gear but there are some long rides around here where sightlines keep you to those speeds.

#36 ·
On a recent 2100 mile trip, I was amazed by the accuracy of the "Range" distance to empty. The bike must be monitoring fuel consumed and calculating how much distance is left. Whereas I'd push my '07 Wee past empty on the gauge, I take the range gauge seriously.

#37 ·
I have to learn to look at my dash more.

I took a long ride last Wednesday, when I went to return home my bike (V2) would not fire up, both fuel indicators were flashing and my range was reading zero, I don't know how long that had been happening for.

I took the bike off the kick stand and stood it straight up and down, this got the motor fired up.

It was only 3ks to the nearest fuel so I made it and managed to put 20.55lt in the tank.

I normally have extra fuel on my panier racks but had removed them for a registration inspection and had not put them back, Murphy's Law in play again.

#39 ·
Mine usually says about 230 miles of range after a fillup. I'm cationing everyone on the range indicator when the tank starts getting really low. This past weekend the range indicated I had about a 13 mile cushion to where I planned to fill up. Approximately 20 miles later when I got to that gas station the range was indicaring I only had 2,5 miles left. Somehow over that 20 miles I lost 10 miles of range, and I was babying it to save gas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.