Miles till empty when full - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 Old 09-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Same here, about 230 miles if not ridden aggressively.

Mine was out of fuel at -12 miles. So (at least in my case) coming towards the end of the range and steady conditions the remaining range indication was pretty accurate.
How do you see "- 12" miles? Mine goes to a "--" display after "1 mile remaining" blinks off.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 09-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Update: rode mine yesterday on the way back from the gym until it read "---" miles til empty. 225.6 miles total out off that tank. Got scared to push it any farther and stopped for fuel. 😂 Filled up with 5.05gal for the 5.3gal tank. All my riding on this tank was done back and forth to the gym maybe 20miles around trip speeds 55-65mph open 4 lane hwy. No weight with the exception of a top case empty. Range read 252miles til E upon refill. Only made 225.6 mile on that tank. I think the gauge is more accurate the closer you get to empty which I'm fine with!
post #13 of 24 Old 09-26-2019, 05:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
How do you see "- 12" miles? Mine goes to a "--" display after "1 mile remaining" blinks off.
Mine also does not show negative but with the gps its easy to see how many miles further until it stops running. Not recommended for normal riding but in remote routes when you try to get to the next gas station you watch every additional mile.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #14 of 24 Old 09-26-2019, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
Mine also does not show negative but with the gps its easy to see how many miles further until it stops running. Not recommended for normal riding but in remote routes when you try to get to the next gas station you watch every additional mile.
Ah gotcha!!!

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
post #15 of 24 Old 10-13-2019, 08:20 PM
$tromtrooper

Got this recently on a chill 55-60mph back road drive last night... closer to what y'all are stating. Notice the 46km on the trip already with a range of 390km. Guess if I don't flog her she gets decent mileage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8470 (1).jpg (250.7 KB, 7 views)

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT
post #16 of 24 Old 10-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Mine is 2014 but I'm pretty sure the instruments are the same. Over the years I have run it flat out od gas twice. Both times I knew there was no hope of getting to gas. I went into hyper-miles mode. After I got to the "--" it went 13 more miles the first time and 17 miles the next time.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #17 of 24 Old 10-13-2019, 09:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
Mine is 2014 but I'm pretty sure the instruments are the same. Over the years I have run it flat out od gas twice. Both times I knew there was no hope of getting to gas. I went into hyper-miles mode. After I got to the "--" it went 13 more miles the first time and 17 miles the next time.
Mine went 10 miles and was dry and 12 miles and was not dry but very closed to it. But I did not ride it to maximize mileage. The gas station was at the 12 mile spot, made it one way but not coming back ;-)

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #18 of 24 Old 10-14-2019, 02:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have never paid to much attention to the fuel monitoring system on my 2014 V2, each time I fill up I would do a quick calculation in my head as to how far I will safely get from a tank of fuel as it changes so much depending on how I'm pushing it or the load I'm carrying.

I have just got back from a 1500 kilometre trip with a lot of mixed riding conditions and decided to test it out over that trip and was very surprised to find the displayed "range" was spot on every time.

As my GPS told me I was closer to my destination the range measure would also drop by a the same amount.

From now on I will be far more trusting of my display.

Next I will work on the actual range left when the bike displays a range of zero.
NVDucati and Motorpsychology like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-14-2019, 05:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

I must ride like an old woman. Never less that 440k's on the 650 and I've managed a nominal 600k's a few times. (Nominal because I filled up before I got to that distance).
post #20 of 24 Old 10-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Tip #!: Always Ride Downhill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteW View Post
I must ride like an old woman. Never less that 440k's on the 650 and I've managed a nominal 600k's a few times. (Nominal because I filled up before I got to that distance).
My '17 DL650 will have a "positive attitude" after a fill-up through the first 60-70 mi/96-112km. Immediately after filling, it will show a range of 260-275 mi/416-442 km. for the first 60-70 mi, the bars show Full and the range drops less than the actual distance travelled, even gaining range, so that at 70 mi/96km it can be displaying 315mi/506km. Adding the actual distance travelled yields 385mi/620km for the full tank. As the fuel gets used and the bars disappear, the range gets more and more accurate again until the last bar is blinking or gone, and the range displayed is quite close to what it originally was at fill-up.
I think this has to do with the shape of the tank. When full, the float is measuring the fuel in the wider part of the tank, so it is lowering at a slower rate than when it is measuring in the narrower, deeper rear portion of the tank, and going lower at a faster rate.
Yeah, I know

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
ďOf all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.Ē - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode