Stock seat has to go - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Stock seat has to go

Went for a fairly long ride the other day and finally decided the stock seat has to go. I have a 2018 DL1000 XT and thought i could get by with the stock seat, it really didnt bother me that much over the last few months but I've only done two to three hour rides. The other day I spent a combined 6 hours in the saddle and at the end was ready to throw the seat in the garbage. Kept riding forward which caused my pants to ride up making it very uncomfortable in the frontal area and terrible pressure points in the rear. The seat felt hard as a rock. I'm sure we all know about this already. I just ordered a Sargent world sport touring seat. Getting it from Revzilla. Ordered yesterday and being deliver today. Talk about fast shipping. Anyone have any reviews of this seat. What do you think. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Last edited by uscgmac; 08-17-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I bought a Sheepy Sheepskin Pad (Pic Below) and am using it over the stock seat. Works great for me!!!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5048041...ge_type=market
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheepy Hollow Seat Cover.jpg (127.6 KB, 11 views)

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #3 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
I wanted to get a different seat too ,but the cost is pretty high. So is a gel seat pad going to help ?
And whats the sheepy like for you BigBoy ? And how does it attach ?

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , Gel seat cover, Twin tool tubes, Givi 30L top case, Suzuki Engine cowl, 45 years in the
saddle and counting, Yoshimura 3/4 exhaust system simmering on low in the money oven.
AMA member, RestoRides MotorSports CEO

Our dog Trixie 7 year old Chihuahua / Min Pin mix Shelter Rescued Smartest dog we have ever owned. She's great and does lots of tricks.

post #4 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 10:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoRider2017 View Post
I wanted to get a different seat too ,but the cost is pretty high. So is a gel seat pad going to help ?
And whats the sheepy like for you BigBoy ? And how does it attach ?
I like the Sheepy. Makes the Gluteus Maximus very happy. Attaches with an adjustable elastic band around the seat.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #5 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
I see , Did you order it from Etsy in Austrailia ? Cost like $35 plus what for shipping ?

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , Gel seat cover, Twin tool tubes, Givi 30L top case, Suzuki Engine cowl, 45 years in the
saddle and counting, Yoshimura 3/4 exhaust system simmering on low in the money oven.

Our dog Trixie 7 year old Chihuahua / Min Pin mix Shelter Rescued Smartest dog we have ever owned. She's great and does lots of tricks.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
I see , Did you order it from Etsy in Austrailia ? Cost like $35 plus what for shipping ?
Yep - If I remember correctly, the total cost was approx. $50 for the Sheepy.

I've also tried Bead Rider beaded seat covers on my old ZRX1200. It had the same 'sliding forward' seat problem that the V has but only worse!!! I bought the ceramic bead 'Bead Rider' and it works great as well. The ceramic beads hold you in your desired position but allow you to move around when needed. It also keeps the Gluteus Maximus nice and cool https://www.beadrider.com/ The pic below is from the Bead Rider website. The Bead Rider also attaches using adjustable elastic bands. Easy On/Off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bead Rider on V.jpg (63.8 KB, 10 views)

W. C. Fields
post #7 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have to admit the stock 2017 seat is good for about 2 hours here in florida heat. But it's a tush cooker.
Seems nice to start with and after a while you want to start squirming and can never find a "sweet spot"
that feels ok. I was about 205 lbs earlier this year and have dropped to right at 194 lbs since and it still
makes zero difference. Hugging your rocks against the gas tank helps little and shifting back on the seat
makes for an awefull reach to the bars. Anything in the middle area for too long gets the bun toasting
session into full roast. It really is a pain in the a$$

post #8 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
I have to admit the stock 2017 seat is good for about 2 hours here in Florida heat. But it's a tush cooker.
Seems nice to start with and after a while you want to start squirming and can never find a "sweet spot"
that feels OK. I was about 205 lbs earlier this year and have dropped to right at 194 lbs since and it still
makes zero difference. Hugging your rocks against the gas tank helps little and shifting back on the seat
makes for an awful reach to the bars. Anything in the middle area for too long gets the bun toasting
session into full roast. It really is a pain in the a$$
The Sheepy AND Bead Rider both help with the toasty back sides. The Bead Rider allows much more air circulation. Since every backside is different, I couldn't guarantee that either would solve your particular problem but they sure helped me
RLBranson likes this.

W. C. Fields
post #9 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 01:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks a lot I will look at them both closer. As a side note : Check out the Double Take adventure mirrors

A bit of sticker shock but if they help as I have been told they reduce wind turbulence going past the windshield.

Mine will be here today So I will post pics when they get installed. Review to be posted later When I test them out.

Not sure when that will happen though as rain is in the hunt for later today. jake

post #10 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking about 2018 model so the older bikes from last generation may be different with the seat and ergos. As per seat pads, they can give temporary relief and may work for some but aesthetically I'm not a fan of the looks and I think it's more of a problem for me with the shape of the seat as opposed to the material of the seat. The material of the stock seat is cheap and flimsy as well but the position it puts you in is the worst for me. I tried the airhawk seat pad because I already had it from years ago but because of the shape of the seat it does not help from riding forward and your boys get crushed. I just received my Sargent seat literally an hour ago after ordering it yesterday, incredibly fast, wow Revzilla!!! The seat is made with high quality materials and is much heavier. Installed it, fit is spot on, perfect. Just sitting on it is wonderful compared to stock. One thing I've learned over the years is not to go cheap with the seat, if your going to do it do it right the first time. Cost was 449.00 with free shipping. I'm about to go for a ride in about an hour so will have an update but I can tell you just the position alone is a game changer. It put me into a more flat position then forward. Doesn't feel like I'm riding up on the tank and the foam seems to be in all the right places plus looks 100% better. Thanks all, I'll get back to ya.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode