Stock seat has to go - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
2017- 2018 and 2019 are nearly Identical with only slight differences and none of them involve the seat
The newer touring model may have a better stock seat but I'm not 100% sure.

I guess other than the issue with the tush cooker stock seat is the horrible covering over it . It's easy
to mark up, hard to clean, fits loose over the seat foam, hot after sitting in the sun, then compounds the
butt cooking effects. So If you stop to take a break and your bike is in the full sun for say 30 minutes
you get back on it to go again you might as well grab the bar B que sauce to squirt on that rump roast
you'll be treated to. ( ya want fries with that sir )

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , Gel seat cover, Twin tool tubes, Givi 30L top case, Suzuki Engine cowl, 45 years in the
saddle and counting, Yoshimura 3/4 exhaust system simmering on low in the money oven.
AMA member, RestoRides MotorSports CEO

Our dog Trixie 7 year old Chihuahua / Min Pin mix Shelter Rescued Smartest dog we have ever owned. She's great and does lots of tricks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 02:31 PM
$tromtrooper

My first week, during break-in, I did a 350 mi. day and was miserable at the end. Ordered Shad Comfort seat for a trip just 2 weeks out. Nice seat and quite equal to the Sargent on my 650. along came a member selling a Sargent. Tough choice, but in the end the Sargent won out. 27K later I'm still happy.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #13 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 02:33 PM
$tromtrooper

PS- I also run an Alaskan sheepskin.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400

post #14 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 02:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Any difference between Ausey sheepskin and Alaskan ?

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , Gel seat cover, Twin tool tubes, Givi 30L top case, Suzuki Engine cowl, 45 years in the
saddle and counting, Yoshimura 3/4 exhaust system simmering on low in the money oven.
AMA member, RestoRides MotorSports CEO

Our dog Trixie 7 year old Chihuahua / Min Pin mix Shelter Rescued Smartest dog we have ever owned. She's great and does lots of tricks.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 03:24 PM
$tromtrooper

Harsher winters, so thicker fleece?

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
post #16 of 24 Old 08-17-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Ok, so I went for a quick spin of about 70 miles with the new seat. It's a world of difference from the stock seat to the Sargent seat. The Sargent seat it firm but flatter and you don't ride up to the tank as bad. It has a firmer base so it's much more solid under you. Better fit on the bike and less flex under you. The foam is better in every way, more where you need it and less where you don't. There is a groove in the foam, a small channel to give you relief of the prostate area. The looks and fit and finishing is 100% nicer. It's about the same height as the stock seat if you get the regular. They also make a low seat which the more I think about it may have been a good choice but it's a hard decision being I like the leg room of the tall seat and the view and ergos to the bar but would also like an extra inch when I put my feet down. Didn't want to mess with peg lowering kits right now so went with the regular size. I believe the seat doesn't really need a break in period like some other seats I've had in the past. It is good to go from the start. I recently installed Rox risers as well to alleviate some mid back pain I was getting which slightly improved then found the seat helped even more. I'm guessing the new seat is also helping with my posture and position as I'm riding to help my back. All is good in the world today. Looking forward to the next ride.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
post #17 of 24 Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Had Terry Adcox build a seat for our 2018 V1K. Haven't taken the wife for a spin yet but I'm very happy with the short commutes so far on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Byronw likes this.

Last edited by hb9400; 09-10-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #18 of 24 Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have an Adcox on my 650, very nice seats. His pricing is up considerably since I ordered that, or I'd have him fix the seat on the 1000 I just bought.
I'm getting ready to order a Russell Day Long, I had their seat on my LC1500, and they cannot be beat. Pricing difference between Russell and Adcox is so little, I'm going back to Russell, besides, they are a short 150 mile ride for me if it needs adjustment.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-10-2019, 10:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have an Adcox order. My spot on the waiting list is February.

Once I get it, Ill probably buy and fit a new Sit-n-Fly seat net. My first one is 3 years old. Best $20 Ive ever spent.
hb9400 likes this.

2015 DL650XT w/ factory Suzuki/Motech side cases and engine guard.
First farkle - Motech center stand
Suzuki handguards
Augustus Wind Deflectors
Fat, foamy grips
Givi AirFlow windscreen
Go-Cruise throttle lock
JD Astar 1260 lumen LED tail light bulb
Suzuki (SW Motech) Top Case
Hyde Racing skid plate
Adventuretech kickstand foot, fork brace, fender raising kit, and peg lowering kit.
Zita 26mm up / 20mm back risers
Sit and Fly Seat Net

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27
post #20 of 24 Old 09-10-2019, 11:10 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
the one constant I find in seat complaint threads regarding both of my bikes is heavy riders. My theory is that at 180 I'm on the heavy side of what a Japanese bike is built for, 220? Likely not in the design specs.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode