does the first to second shift get better with miles? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 07-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

It gets no better
Big B likes this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 07-26-2019, 10:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Shift Low, Sweet Chariot

Shifting technique makes the biggest difference for me. I usually shift 1st-2nd below 3000rpm and pulling the clutch lever about a quarter of its travel while letting the throttle drop about 1-200 rpm as I snick it into second. Sounds more complicated than it is, but provides smooth shifts. 3rd thru 6th shifts are easier when using higher rpm and more clutch disengagement, or no clutch at all on upshifts. Pulling in the clutch all the way to the bar and backing completely off the throttle will cause you to hit false neutrals or partial engagement of the next gear, which is a terrible way to machine parts!
I use Suzuki Ecstar R9000 10W40 Full Synthetic oil in my DL650. I used Motul 7100 Full Synthetic 10W40 in my ZX11. Synthetic vs. Mineral or blend in the Zeek made a more noticeable difference in smooth shifting than it does in my D' Elle. I've always used a motorcycle-specific oil in my bikes, some folks have had good luck with Mobil 1 and other automotive oils.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
"I never said half of that stuff."-Confucius
post #13 of 15 Old 07-26-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I think I'll go to 2000 miles and switch over to either mobil 1 or ams-oil motorcycle specific. I have used those for years and have had good luck. been riding for over 40 years and the shifting is not bad at all compared to some bikes(triumph tiger 1050), just that 1-2 catches me napping sometimes and not preloading the shifter.

post #14 of 15 Old 07-26-2019, 06:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Yeah I get napping as well sometimes and the 1-2 gets me, but overall not bad. The Mobil 1 has been by far the best oil for me shifting wise, and I tried a lot in the bikes young life. The biggest barometer for me is finding neutral. Although I have absolutely no complaints I’m going to try amsoil next change because I’m curious

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #15 of 15 Old 07-26-2019, 06:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

At 900 miles I had the same concerns, missed many 1-2 shifts, bike seemed abrupt and far from smooth.
At 6k plus now, and things are much improved. Synthetic oil (Shell expensive stuff) made a big difference.
An all day, half the night ride, seemed to improve things too.
I was having second thoughts early on, but things worked out in my case.
Griff2 likes this.

2006 DL 650

2018 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode