Slight clutch rattle/noise in neutral? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Slight clutch rattle/noise in neutral?

I've only got a few miles on my new '18 1k, and notice that when in neutral there seems to be a (tiny) bit of a rattling type noise, seemingly from the clutch area. I know some of these bikes have had issues with the clutch basket, but thought it also might be to do with the slipper? Or perhaps it's just a trademark of the big Strom, something they do but isn't anything to worry about...? Can anyone shed some light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 10:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I've only got a few miles on my new '18 1k, and notice that when in neutral there seems to be a (tiny) bit of a rattling type noise, seemingly from the clutch area. I know some of these bikes have had issues with the clutch basket, but thought it also might be to do with the slipper? Or perhaps it's just a trademark of the big Strom, something they do but isn't anything to worry about...? Can anyone shed some light?
I also have a newish 18' 1k......mine does the same thing. gets better when the clutch is pulled in. Someone else more knowledgeable then myself will chime in , but basically its just the nature of these bikes. Had any intake pops yet?
post #3 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

That's good to hear. Nothing else out of the ordinary, but my bike has a whopping 16 miles on it as of now. Picked it up Saturday and have been too busy with work and some guests to do any riding. My trusty old '04 650 is doing commuting duty still, since my 2 mile commute doesn't do a motor any favors, especially a brand new one still being broken in.

post #4 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
That's good to hear. Nothing else out of the ordinary, but my bike has a whopping 16 miles on it as of now. Picked it up Saturday and have been too busy with work and some guests to do any riding. My trusty old '04 650 is doing commuting duty still, since my 2 mile commute doesn't do a motor any favors, especially a brand new one still being broken in.
Ya breaking in is never any fun, they just feel tight. they get better and better as the miles go on. ive got about 850 miles on mine now and shes really starting to loosen up.

this motor definitely makes noises. I was obsessing about it for a little while, but just understanding its the nature of the beast helps.

they do eat clutch baskets but that shouldn't be until about 20-30 k miles....its a slow onset so you might not notice for awhile. the werks basket mod is the solution when the time comes.

avoid low rpm high load scenarios... that will prolong the basket.

I did the first oil change at 550 miles. there was some very fine metal particulate on the drain bolt magnet from break in. If your mechanically inclined do the first service yourself. the $250 first service ( I mean oil change) is a rip....unless your loaded.

get the suzuki pit box oil change kit...comes with OEM filter, oil , crush washer and gloves.....cant beat it for the price.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm the kind of person who never lets ANYONE work on his cars/bikes... that said, I was told by the salesperson that the first service (600 mile) MUST be done by a dealership, or else my standard 12 month warranty would be voided.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I'm the kind of person who never lets ANYONE work on his cars/bikes... that said, I was told by the salesperson that the first service (600 mile) MUST be done by a dealership, or else my standard 12 month warranty would be voided.
You dealer is lying through their teeth, read up on the Magnuson Moss act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
BrianS likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #7 of 20 Old 06-25-2019, 11:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

As Big B said, that it total hogwash. The service manager at the place I bought mine tried the same rhetoric. It's fear tactics to pay for the wife's new BMW, and frankly should be illegal. I called Suzuki themselves on the subject. As long as you do everything as per Suzukis maintenance schedule, AND document everything you do your fine, and it will not effect the warranty.

I jot down detailed logs with time stamps , mileage and many checks. Doing your own maintenance does not void your warranty. See the Magnuson Moss warranty act.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 12:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Back to the OP. It's likely the very beginning of "idle hammer". Many threads about it here. "They all do it" to a lesser or larger degree. Wait until after the first oil change and then report back if the noise has intensified.

NOTE: Its totally harmless all be it, it can be annoying. Just don't idle it any more than necessary, so you don't hear it any more than necessary ;-)
Webfors likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #9 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 06:54 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

If it is a rattly noise, sort of metallic in nature, that is normal. While this sound does seem more obvious from the clutch side of the engine, it might have little or nothing to do with the engine. When you pull in the clutch lever it slows down or stops all the gears and bearings in the transmission and the inner hub parts of the clutch. So naturally there will be less noise. The clutch basket actually does NOT slow down when you do this. Even with a modified basket, the engine will always sound quieter when you pull in the clutch lever. Simply mechanical noise that is normal.
clean likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 20 Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm glad it's nothing to worry about, but having never owned a new bike (or car) before I want to err on the side of caution. I'm very happy with the power delivery and engine characteristics of the new Strom so far, and can't wait for it to really settle in over the next few thousand miles.

As for dealership maintenance, I looked into the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (MUCH appreciated!) and can only find verbiage about specific maintenance schedules/technicians from 3rd party reporters. I'm having trouble finding the actual legal document. Anybody have a link? I'd love to have a read through the legal gibberish. I contacted the salesperson (who was very kind, but not terribly knowledgeable unfortunately) and will see what she says.

Again, all the help is much appreciated. That's why I love this forum... Even though I haven't been terribly active here the last few years, because my '04 650 hasn't done anything besides get me where I'm going with a big sh** eating grin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode