3Likes
  • 1 Post By Houstrom46*
  • 2 Post By Big Boy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Tank Traction Pads

Howdy all,

looking for recommendations on tank pads for a '18 xt. I don't want them to cover the black strips on the yellow/black model so I'm looking for something narrow.

Unlike my '15 650, the metal tank is fully exposed and knees rub constantly on it. For traction, and protection purposes I wouldn't mind adding some pads.

Two wheels for realz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
also interested

I've looked at the TechSpec ones(for L14-L16) , but like mentioned by OP the tank design is covered by the grips

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #3 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I run the TechSpec that indeed covers the silver/black decal some, and I love it. I searched high and low for another option, to no avail. A suggestion would be ordering either rubberized strips or tape off amazon and simply cut/overlap to size. There are a few generic units floating around, but they're not nearly as nice as the TechSpecs. I suppose you could take a knife to the TS's, but that's an expensive oops if it doesn't go well!

Current:
2018 Vstrom 1000XT, Black

Past:
KLR 650
Versys 650

post #4 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wonít give any more traction than the bare tank, but Suzuki does have a clear tank protector that will keep the sides of the tank from getting scuffed. When I bought mine for my V2 I didnít see it offered in the USA (donít remember if Canada had them or not) and ended up getting them from Suzuki UK.
Did a quick look and Suzuki Canada has that pad in their accessory catalog Itís just under $20 Itís really just clear Vinyl custom cut to the sides of the tank, not much different than those clear bras that some car dealers put on the leading edge of auto hoods. Applies with soapy a water solution so shouldnít leave a residue if you ever want to remove it later on. Still no listing in the USA though...
Webfors likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Check Amazon and eBay for both Stomp Grip and Tech Spec Snake Skin tank pads. Both offer uncut sheets that will allow you to custom cut/fit to your needs.
Webfors and branthopolis like this.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

I made some tank side pads for my Vee for track days, primarily. I have a bunch of adhesive, dense foam rubber material that I would sell or give to you guys. Just give me some overall dimensions and I can see if I have enough for your needs. PM me or email [email protected] If you just respond to this post, I may not see it. Bobby
post #7 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstrom46* View Post
Wonít give any more traction than the bare tank, but Suzuki does have a clear tank protector that will keep the sides of the tank from getting scuffed. When I bought mine for my V2 I didnít see it offered in the USA (donít remember if Canada had them or not) and ended up getting them from Suzuki UK.
Did a quick look and Suzuki Canada has that pad in their accessory catalog Itís just under $20 Itís really just clear Vinyl custom cut to the sides of the tank, not much different than those clear bras that some car dealers put on the leading edge of auto hoods. Applies with soapy a water solution so shouldnít leave a residue if you ever want to remove it later on. Still no listing in the USA though...
I like the idea. It must provide better traction than a slick clear coat pain job. Clear would be nicer to keep the yellow style.

Two wheels for realz!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstrom46* View Post
Good call brother. $10 each and they have three options. Full tank clear, half tank clear, half tank black. I ordered the black.

I put pics in the following thread:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...ml#post5402019

Two wheels for realz!

Last edited by Webfors; 06-12-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode