couple of newb questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

couple of newb questions

after installing the center stand it's now easier to get an accurate oil level rather than just a go / no indication.

where should the oil be in the fill window if you used the prescribed volume for an oil / filter change?

any possible harm from running it right on the top line?

why does the rear axle nut have notches on the outside if it's not a reverse thread? maybe I'm missing something but that's always been an indication of left handed threads.

chain tension specs seem a little tight to me at the bottom end. I adjusted it to the top end of the spec but was wondering if people run them a little looser?

i did try the search function but didnt find anything on these, thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 04:47 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I like to see a little space between the oil level, and the top of the sightglass, myself.

Give that chain a little slack, but if this bike is brand new it will loosen up a bit anyway.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi bars, Givi rear wheel mud guard, Givi radiator screen. Givi topcase Monokey. Puig screen, Freeway Blaster horn, Speedohealer. SW Motech R. brake reservoir guard. Tuono mirrors.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Greywolf used to always suggest that it looks more full than it actually is when filling on the centerstand because it raised the back a bit compared to the front. So yes fill it right to the top of the sight gauge if it is on the centerstand.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 175,000+ km, 108,500+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty View Post
why does the rear axle nut have notches on the outside if it's not a reverse thread? maybe I'm missing something but that's always been an indication of left handed threads.

chain tension specs seem a little tight to me at the bottom end. I adjusted it to the top end of the spec but was wondering if people run them a little looser?
Castellated nuts ( the ones you put cotter keys through the cutouts in the outer portion of them ) are not exclusive to left hand threads. They are simply a way to positively secure a nut against loosening. Quite common on fasteners that need an extra measure of safety.

A chain a bit on the loose side is ALWAYS better than one that is any too tight! There can be tremendous forces transferred to the bike from a too tight chain. Something has to give!

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

As long as you can see oil in the sight glass you are okay. Filling it to the top or just below the top of the sight glass give you no benefit. Shooting for the oil level to be in the 1/2 to 3/4 the way up the sight glass is ideal.

For the rear axle nut are you talking about a castle nut. Where the nut has cutouts and the axle has a whole in it to install a cotter pin to keep the nut from loosening and or tightening. For the record the axle nut is a standard right hand thread.

Chain tension should be checked at several places. Mark one link check the chain tension and take note. Rotate the wheel one turn and check the tension again and take note. Do this as many times as it takes to get the marked link back to where you started. Then adjust the tightest part of the chain to 1.25 to 1.5" of slack.
Webfors likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Way too much oil causes oil foaming. Oil foam is oil with air bubbles. Oil with air bubbles does not lubricate or transfer heat anywhere near as good as oil.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

not a castle nut. notches on the points of the flats. I need to find a photo hosting site, let me see if I can find an example.

thanks for all the replies
post #8 of 13 Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

On a new fill with oil, I shoot for the top line every time and am happy if it is at full or even over. I do like to see a tiny air gap above the oil. These bikes almost all use a little oil. Why start out below full?

There is also some, including me, that feel the more oil in the bike, the more the oil will contact and cool the stator. On a dry sump engine, oil foaming is not typically an issue as the crank does not sling oil like a wet sump design.

As for checking on a center stand, that is fine, but slide a thin board under the front wheel until the bike wheels are equal distance from the floor. Yes I am OCD.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #9 of 13 Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thanks again for all the replies.

I was curious about the oil level because it was the first time i could properly check the shops work. I assume they used the proper quantity of oil but saw that the sight glass was half full warm (slightly less cool). they charged for 4L, so I was wondering why they didnt fill it right to the top indicator. I like to fill it right to the top line, just makes it a simple check before each ride. stand the bike up and lightly rock it while looking for the little bubble at the top of the sight glass.

the bikes got 1700km and the chain was at 1.75", didnt seem too loose but thought I'd bring her a little closer to spec. the manual says .8" - 1.2", .8 sounds way too tight so I adjusted to 1.25". thanks for the tips, sounds like I've got it in the right range.

the axle nut markings aren't important, though it makes me wonder why two people mentioned castle nuts.... do your bikes have them? I'm going to try and attach a small pic, looks like the forum will let me..... maybe. I'm guessing these notches now indicate a type if locking nut but to me the signify left hand threads.

any suggestions for a free photo sharing website?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190611_062102_1560248735370.jpg (116.6 KB, 10 views)
post #10 of 13 Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM
$tromtrooper

Any good videos on checking chain slack, that are recommended from members of the forum.

I'm almost certain that my chain was adjusted too tightly on the service before pickup of the new bike. The chain feels like it's under constant tension.. even though I can force it up and down close to an inch.

Two wheels for realz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode