base vs. XT vs. XT Adventure - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

base vs. XT vs. XT Adventure

I'm looking at getting my first adventure bike, and v-strom 1000 is currently tops on my list.. but Suzuki doesn't have a comparison chart for their trims, and it's annoying.. the details pages all just say "may include" and seems to list everything.. but want to compare value differences of going easy and buying up or buying base and upgrading accessories myself.. does anyone know where to find a chart with the actual differences between the trim lines?
i.e.:
1000: base
1000XT: same but more off-road ready accessories?
1000XT Adv: XT accessories plus hard cases?

Seems like engine, brakes, specs otherwise equal..

Thanks!
hopefully soon you be strom-trooper.

current ride: Yamaha Road Star Warrior 1700, but want to be able to take some nice dirt roads and start to moto-camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 PM
$tromtrooper

In Canada the base vs "x" is just spoked vs cast rims.

Adventure package adds center stand, crash bars, suzuki aluminum side cases, and 4 lock set.

Two wheelz for realz!
post #3 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 04:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Just food for thought and my 2 cents....

For well maintained dirt roads, the regular cast wheels will be fine.. Anything other than that and the spoked wheels are probably worthy of consideration.

Hard side cases are frowned upon by some offroaders because they can be bent/crushed enough in even a simple drop to affect their use plus some will say that they have contributed to broken legs & ankles when dabbing your feet and getting caught under the bag....

I bought an adventure model and quickly determined that I should have got the regular model and kitted it with more suitable accessories based on how I was using it... Would've saved $$ overall if I had....
Webfors, DesertBike and Makonasson like this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250

post #4 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 06:06 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post

For well maintained dirt roads, the regular cast wheels will be fine.. Anything other than that and the spoked wheels are probably worthy of consideration.

Hard side cases are frowned upon by some offroaders because they can be bent/crushed enough in even a simple drop to affect their use plus some will say that they have contributed to broken legs & ankles when dabbing your feet and getting caught under the bag....

I bought an adventure model and quickly determined that I should have got the regular model and kitted it with more suitable accessories based on how I was using it... Would've saved $$ overall if I had....
Good points! Never thought of the injury factor. They also don't look very 2up friendly with their size.

Two wheelz for realz!
post #5 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 06:25 AM
$tromtrooper

If you find a good deal on the XT ADV, buy it. Sell the hard bags but keep the racks. Then go to Mosko Moto and get a set of these:

https://moskomoto.com/collections/mo...35-pannier-kit

Or Scouts if you are a light packer:

https://moskomoto.com/collections/mo...-side-bag-only

Due to the exhaust offset I have a Backcountry on the left and a Scout on the right. The bags are amazing and their backing plate bolts to oem racks in about 15 min. Flip a cam and the bags slide right off to carry away if mo-telling it. I can honestly say I will never own any other pannier brand.

As for the spokes, yeah harder to clean(once a year whether the bike needs it or not). But they will take a pothole or other unexpected road hazard better than cast, so to me they are worth it. Besides, spokes are a classic look and I'm gettin old.
Big B, kd70qc, Webfors and 1 others like this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #6 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
If you find a good deal on the XT ADV, buy it. Sell the hard bags but keep the racks. Then go to Mosko Moto and get a set of these:

https://moskomoto.com/collections/mo...35-pannier-kit

Or Scouts if you are a light packer:

https://moskomoto.com/collections/mo...-side-bag-only

Due to the exhaust offset I have a Backcountry on the left and a Scout on the right. The bags are amazing and their backing plate bolts to oem racks in about 15 min. Flip a cam and the bags slide right off to carry away if mo-telling it. I can honestly say I will never own any other pannier brand.

As for the spokes, yeah harder to clean(once a year whether the bike needs it or not). But they will take a pothole or other unexpected road hazard better than cast, so to me they are worth it. Besides, spokes are a classic look and I'm gettin old.
Those bags aren't cheap!

Two wheelz for realz!
post #7 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 09:22 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfors View Post
Those bags aren't cheap!
Selling the oem ones should bring around $400.

Worth EVERY penny...but yeah I bought used ones
Webfors likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #8 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post

I see no problem with the cast wheels, but I wonder whether they're needed for larger/heavier bikes? All the BMW heavy adv's seem to have spoked wheels.

Aluminum side cases seem to be super-popular with the BMW crowd, but I'll take my cheap, plastic Givi E36's any day.

Not only are they a lot cheaper to replace if I completely trash one, they're surprisingly resilient. I've gone down hard a couple of times with both side cases on. So far I've had to replace one latch, one plastic latch cover, and a set of racks, but not the case itself.

Have not yet had a case try to injure me, but yes, I'd rather have a plastic box run into me than metal.
Webfors and Motorpsychology like this.

2007 Vee with too many farkles
post #9 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

post #10 of 22 Old 05-07-2019, 03:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Selling the oem ones should bring around $400.

Worth EVERY penny...but yeah I bought used ones
The kit is high priced, but the individual bags are $200 a piece. Is the other $300 for the rack...?

Two wheelz for realz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode