Tank bag: Magnetic vs Straps vs ... - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDesmond View Post
Well, you can't dunk them in a lake, but for normal showers that you ride through all the ones I've owned have been waterproof enough. As Macdoc mentioned, you should put electronics in something, ziplock baggies work for me.
If you put the rain cover on, you can ride all day in a deluge without worry.
I bought mine cause it was like new used maybe three times with a like very used sticker price.

I would never spend that much for something i need to put a granny shower cap on when it rains

The same reason i went for the hard luggage instead of the soft.

I'm a simple guy, i don't want complicated things.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Have two different tanklock bags and even going down off road haven't had one come off yet. As for the waterproofing I've ridden for 8+ hrs in rain like real rain with just the rain cover on both bags at this point and neither has had water inside. If your standing anything over 5-6L gets in the way too much. Love my xs308 for touring but my st602 definitely gets the most use.
post #23 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've had the same magnetic tank bag for 20+ years. "roadmaster" or something like that brand. It's of a medium size, with wings containing the large magnets. I've used it on:

Kawi ZX6(e)
Kawi Concours
Kawi ZRX1100
DL1000 V-Strom
Yamaha Fazer 8

It's never blown off any of them, even though it only touched half the actual metal tank on my Fazer 8.

These days, though, many bikes have plastic tanks or tank covers, so that won't work. My new bike (BMW R1200RT) has a rack of sorts on the tank that apparently BMW, at least, made special bags to hook onto, with quick release. Hard to find now, though, for an 11 year old bike.

post #24 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you want a proper fit that won't screw up your paint or move around then get one with a tank ring. I have the Hepco and Becker tank bag with the lock it ring. It may be more expensive then magnetic or strap bags but there is a reason for it. First off the high end bags are made much better and will last longer. They fit better and don't damage your paint. They don't move around and you don't have to worry about it breaking. Your not going to break it with a load in the bag. You get what you pay for. Go cheap and you will either be buying another one or will find out the hard way why the higher end bags use tank rings. Don't even waste your money with the other ones unless you don't mind scratches and swirl marks from the magnets or straps and have it move around on you.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
post #25 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 02:59 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I use a relatively small, magnetic tank bag to hold a hydration bladder for long summer rides. I have never had an issue with it coming loose. Of course I only use it a few times a year.
post #26 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Neither...

I've had tanklock bags from givi and sw motech of various sizes. Absolutely love the ease of use and portability. At the moment sporting sw motech bags on my dl650. Have a small one for daily commute and a larger one for touring. Same tank lock ring used on both, so the bags swap out in under 10 seconds. You couldn't pay me to use anything else.
This.. Once you've lived with a tank lock bag, you'll probably never want strap or magnetic tank bags ever again...
MariusD and Motorpsychology like this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #27 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

My experience is that in wet weather magnetic bags can destroy the paint on a tank. My preference is for a Touratech bag on the tank. It works well and is easy to remove for petrol fills.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #28 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 06:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Another vote for SW Motech Engage Quick Lock. Perfect size for daily use.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (89.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (102.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (96.3 KB, 9 views)
Krogsgaard likes this.
post #29 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the same bag as above and only use it when holidaying with the bride to carry the easy to get at stuff.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #30 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 10:15 PM
aka Rick in Alabama

Garage
Bags Connection Engage user here. Very happy with the ring clamp system. Doing it over I would go with the City model for a bit more space, but then I would fill it up and whine about needing more space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Current rides: 2001 GL1800, 2014 DL650 Adventure; Gone away: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode