Tank bag: Magnetic vs Straps vs ... - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I have owned and used all three types.

I will NEVER use a magnetic tank bag again. While some may think they are strong enough to stay in place, I have not found one that is.

Strap types are cheap and more or less universal. Work plenty good. For a very large tank bag, this may well still be the best option. Keep the area under the bag clean and there is less chance of scratching. But the chance of scratching is still there if not careful with the pad under the bag.

Once you use a tank lock style tank bag you won't ever want any other kind. There is simply no comparison in convenience. In not scratching. I learned years ago that a tank bag isn't meant for everything you own, keep the size down and it is much easier to live with. No hitting the bars when turning, blowing the horn when it hits the button and so on.

If there is any way to scratch the money together for a tank lock style do it. Givi has a complete line of tank lock bags and mounts at good prices. If you ride any longer distances, the tank lock advantages add up quickly. I may fill up 3-4 times a day, which is one lever to move to release the tank bag to get to the fuel cap. Then I take it off and in with me to eat or to take a break. That convenience is a real advantage.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 AM
$tromtrooper

I find the tank lock ones very awkward in practice and the power of the newer magnets much higher than earlier ones.
Cross winds can be an issue for older tank bags with large flaps and weaker magnets.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR65093 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #13 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 08:15 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null 13 View Post
The third one.

I'm a simple guy, i went for givi tanklock. Slap it on, pull the lever to remove.

Barely used it though.

It does look nice.

But all tank bags suck, none are waterproof.
Well, you can't dunk them in a lake, but for normal showers that you ride through all the ones I've owned have been waterproof enough. As Macdoc mentioned, you should put electronics in something, ziplock baggies work for me.
If you put the rain cover on, you can ride all day in a deluge without worry.

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848

post #14 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 08:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Another vote for tank lock. I don't think the newest Vees have enough exposed steel to attach a magnetic bag.

I have the SW Moto Evo 7 liter. Not very large, but suits my needs nicely. It clicks off easily, and with some practice, it clicks back into position.
gdrew and SuperG like this.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #15 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

Magnetic for a metal tank. i just push it off to the right side and gas and go. I do have the strap around the handlebars though.
The current bag is a Joe Rocket and not too tall. With Aerostich tank panniers, I don't need the room in the tank bag. Just maps and my hydration pack.
post #16 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 10:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I just did a 3 day trip with a Givi tanklock bag. My older tankbag is a magnetic Oxford. In the Southwest it is windy season and I definitely see the tanklock as a better design. The Oxford would get blown off in a strong side wind, good thing I have it on a tether. Once I got used to the unlocking of the Givi everything was great.

2014 650 Strom
post #17 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My strom was fitted with a tank lock SW Motech bag when I bought it. It is a little awkward the first few times trying to get it to click on, but with practice it isn't a problem. I'm not sure of the size, but it holds gloves, wallet, iPhone, multi-tool, garage opener, and a 20oz Powerade. Take out gloves and two Powerades fit. Unless you need to fit huge amounts of gear in one, go with the tank lock bag.

2013 DL650A
post #18 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

If you use a magnetic tank bag do not leave it on the bike 24/7. Years ago my wife had a Gen 2 Ninja 250 and she left a Mantha mag tank bag on for weeks on end. One day i pulled it off and the paint was ever so slightly distorted where the 3 magnets were. In all fairness her bike was a metallic dark blue so maybe that why it was noticeable.

I still use the bag from time to time but when not in use it struck on the tool box.

I also had a Wolfman Rainier strap type tank bag and it worked okay. At a fuel stop unclick the 2 back quick connects flop the bag forward and gas up.
Big B and V-Tom like this.
post #19 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I've had strap and magnetic bags, but once I went with the Givi tank lock system......I'm sold on it. Plenty of size choices, very high end bags and the system works very well, plus never have to worry about scratching up your tank paint.
V-Tom and Motorpsychology like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #20 of 56 Old 04-23-2019, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

givi tanklock for my vstrom and sw-motech strap style (with zip off bag) for my crf250l ..both work great..the tanklock is the way to go for the vstrom..glad I spent the extra money
Motorpsychology likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode