2018 - clutch rattle 2nd day of riding - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 04-04-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2018 - clutch rattle 2nd day of riding

Hi everyone,

I picked up my 2018 DL1000 yesterday from the dealership. Rode 360km the yesterday. Did a lot of the break in then. Decided to change the oil today and run the engine a bit harder. Used the Suzuki 10W-40 and a new Suzuki filter.

Everything looked great. Filled right to the full line.

Rode it for about 10 min and stopped at a gas station to make sure everything was still looking good and I noticed quite a bit of rattle/knocking noise at idle. Pulling the clutch in made it mostly go away with just a very little bit of rattle. I rode to a local dealership and they agreed that it was abnormally loud but told me to go back 3 hour drive to where I originally bought it to get it serviced....

Seems like it's the crappy clutch basket that they put on these bikes - after a brief Google search. Any advice on what to do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker991 View Post
Any advice on what to do?

Thanks!
Send a PM to realshelby. He is the clutch guru and should be able to give you advice.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #3 of 24 Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like "idle hammer", not the clutch basket. … They all do it … some more or a lot more than others. I guess you did not hear it with the original oil but only after the first oil change. Read up on it here and see if its that or not. Mine is not so bad and mostly disappears when pulling in the clutch. I think Realshelby has a fix for it, if it nerves you too much.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 24 Old 04-05-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

https://youtu.be/VWLwUQQsrJI

Here is the video of it. What do you think... Clutch or idle hammer?

Thanks corndog, I'll reach out to him.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-05-2019, 04:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

End float in the crank. There's a small side force on the crank as the pistons go up and down and depending on that can move the crank side to side.

And yes, 'depending on' is very vague. Not wanting to get kicked for starting an oil thread but thicker oils tend to reduce this.

Clutch rattle tends to turn up much later, 20,000k's or so.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Funny how some clutch noise from a Suzuki freaks people out, but noise from a Ducati is OK.

Mine was pretty noisy from early on as well. I bought my bike in winter and brought it home 4 hours in my truck, so there's no going back. (no dealer up here either) I think it's the rotational mass of the clutch parts combined with the twin cylinder pulses at low RPM and sloppy tolerances. I see 3 options:

Replace the clutch parts with closer fitting improved parts to make it go away

Tighten clutch cable and/or pushrod to remove free play, and/or bump up idle speed to minimize it

Not worry about it and just ride
Numbercruncher likes this.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
post #7 of 24 Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 AM
$tromtrooper

I wonder what is so special about the oil that Suzuki uses at the factory that prevents the idle hammer. Seems like it always shows up immediately after the first oil change.

post #8 of 24 Old 04-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would NOT remove all the clutch free-play. This will cause excessive clutch wear. Free play is required and there is a proper range. realshelby is the go to guy for both clutch rattle/chudder or idle hammer.

This is an area where Suzuki should hang their engineering head in shame. As far as "do not worry about it", this statement has some merit.

My 2007 vee had both clutch chudder and idle hammer. Both on the mild side compared to some DL1000s I have heard. Mine happily motored on past 100,000 miles with both issues. I learned to ride around the clutch chudder zone and ignored the idle hammer. The very fact that these conditions existed pissed me off.

Then I bought a 2013 Super Tenere (for a change only, I still like the stroms). Well Yamaha engineers must have cheated on the same test Suzuki did and mine had a very similar clutch issue. Pissed off again. But, in 2014, Yamaha listened to their customers and redesigned the clutch system. Most everybody I know yanked there old clutches out of the Tenere (making ash trays out of them) and installed the redesigned clutch assembly.
realshelby likes this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"

Last edited by STCorndog; 04-05-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Idle hammer, and mine seemed to start after the first oil change. there's all kinds of theories on that, i personally just think it starts around 5-600 miles. It doesnt seem to bother me anymore, unless im in a cranky mood in hot weather and traffic, then it seems to ramp up.

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #10 of 24 Old 04-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker991 View Post
https://youtu.be/VWLwUQQsrJI

Here is the video of it. What do you think... Clutch or idle hammer?

Thanks corndog, I'll reach out to him.
What a sweet sounding motor and it sounds exactly like mine. And Yes, mine manifested its rattle immediately after the first oil change. The rattle comes and goes depending on engine temperature or carburation. I have long gotten over it and accept it as a part of the character of the motorcycle. Folks have spent good money getting rid of it and I suppose if it was bugging them that much then fair play. It is not the first bike I have heard a primary drive rattle on and they are usually twins with an uneven firing sequence. My X-Adv motor is just as loud at times and it is a twin with a 270 crank.

As was said above I suggest also to forget it and ride.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode