2018 Vee Mccruise - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-23-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2018 Vee Mccruise

Has anyone installed an Mccruise on a 2018 Vee? Website only shows 2014 thru 2017, is that the same as 2018? My understanding is that 2017 doesn't exist, skipped from 2016 to 2018. The info recently received from Mccruise has only led to more confusion as they mentioned "IF we can develop a kit for the 2018 model."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

I put a McCruise on my 2013 last year and in the process I did talk to them directly a few times.

You can email them or call them, they are pretty responsive.
superpunks likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-23-2019, 07:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

That's also my experience. Download or get their model specific install pdf's and see if the install locations/ conditions are still the same for your bike.

I did not like the servo under the seat (wanted to keep that space for parts /tools) and developed my own location for the servo. They gave me a longer servo cable and a set of brackets to mount the servo (right side above the exhaust can). Also the controller sits under the seat in my case, not on top of the ABS module. Pricy but really works.
superpunks and reasonable like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 12 Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

The 2018 does have the updated ABS, so there could be some differences there. Also wiring may be changed from that as well.
superpunks likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Here is the response I received back from Mccruise on April 1st. I will wait for a reply and post further updates.

Modern fuel injected vehicles have a fuel shut off function so that when the throttle is closed (released back to idle) if the engine is above a certain rpm (typically around 200rpm for cars and 2500 to 3500 on bikes) the fuel injection is turned off entirely, so the engine is not just at idle, it is turned off, like you had hit the ‘kill switch’.

When the rpm drops below that figure, the injection turns back on again, OR if the throttle is opened by the rider/driver, the injection is turned off.

In most cars, this is not particularly noticeable, as the engine braking effect is relatively small compared to the weight of the vehicle.

In bikes, if the engine has particularly strong engine braking, the effect can be quite significant. I have a 2009 DL650, and it is quite noticeable on my bike, but is fairly easy to rider around it, and the cruise generally copes pretty well too. On my bike to avoid this, I keep engine rpm below 3000, particularly when coasting into a slow corner, as it can be quite unsettling at first when the engine ‘turns on’ as the bike slows (engine speed drops below about 3000rpm). This feels like the bike is accelerating momentarily, when in reality it is just not decelerating as much.

The latest pollution standards have made this even more noticeable, and on the DL1000 it is very noticeable and can make low speed operation in low gears quite difficult at times, as the transition from throttle open to throttle closed is quite significant when the fuel injection turns off and back on. This sharp transition has made cruise control operation particularly difficult on this bike, partly because the layout of the bike has meant we have very long cables from the cruise control throttle servo to the bike’s throttle bodies. This gives the cable system significant ‘spring’ which has made precise throttle control for the cruise control more difficult. So result is so bad on this bike that we have decided not to release the 2018 DL1000 kit yet.

As a result I am re-visiting the DL1000 later next week with a view to moving the cruise control components to try to get much shorter and more direct cable runs to see if we can improve the performance of the cruise at low speeds.

It is already quite good at highway speeds, as under normal circumstances the throttle is not released all the way to idle unless it is going down a fairly steep hill.

We have one customer in the UK who basically fitted the 2016~17 DL1000 cruise to his 2018 model, and is not happy with the result, but is also not happy with the behaviour of the bike at town speeds, so he is considering fitting an aftermarket device that allow you to adjust many of the fuel injection parameters, one of which is to turn off the closed throttle fuel shut off. That way when the throttle is closed, the engine is running at idle, instead of being turned off completely, so the transition between closed throttle and cracking the throttle open should be much smoother.

If you are interested, this is the ECU mod they are referring to: woolichracing.co.uk/products/suzuki/dl1000-v-strom/2007/1003/2017-2018-suzuki-dl1000-v-srom-usb-d-v3-
I have had a look at this web site and there is some very interesting stuff in there that this device/mod allows ‘you’ to control. Don’t know how useful some of it is, but it’s there.

Anyway, hopefully in a week or so I will know if we have a product that works acceptably on the 2018 DL1000.

Best Regards,

Frank Guymer
post #6 of 12 Old 04-17-2019, 12:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

I emailed them over a week ago and was told the same thing, the unit isnt working right on the 1000 and they need to find a fix. I was told they would email me when they did.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I got a response back yesterday that they have made some changes and they now have working CC for the 2018 models. Here is the email I got back from Frank.

Hi Dave,

Sorry Dave. We have several enquiries and also a couple of customers who have fitted the earlier model (2014 to 2017) cruise to this bike, with mixed results. Having trouble keeping up with who is who.

In that case, we can now supply a cruise for it. And it works well. Not our best performer, but it is now good.

The fuel shut off is pretty aggressive on this bike, the engine turns off completely when you close the throttle over about 2500rpm and the engine braking is very strong. As a result, to make the cruise more comfortable, we recommend setting up the servo cable free play so when the cruise is in operation it can’t quite release the throttle all the way. The procedure for this is in the installation manual, at the back in the section about servo cable adjustment.

Is your bike officially a DL1000 or DL1000XT?

Best regards,

Frank Guymer
Director
post #8 of 12 Old 05-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have ordered and received the cruise control from Mccruise, took less than a week to Calgary Canada. I will have it installed likely tomorrow and will be testing and have results soon after. Frank has assured me they have worked out the bugs and the cruise works very well. Time will tell.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 02:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Good work Dhudgeon look forward to hearing positive results

DL650A L3
KLR650
CB900 Bol d'Or
Yamaha Nifty Fifty ( great way of saving for university )
RD350LC
CB125twin
Farm Bike Suzuki Van Van 125
post #10 of 12 Old 05-14-2019, 10:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Installed the McCruise today on my 2018 1000, they have update and tested. The install took about 6 hours including testing and diagnostics prior to road test.
The instructions are very good and you can pretty follow to a tee, as with anything though there may be slight differences between bikes.
I can report that I did get out on the road for about 60 miles at various speeds and up and down hills and the cruise worked very well. I know it was a short ride but I will be out again tomorrow and if it works the same I will be very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode