Traction control - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-18-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Traction control

Hi all I have recently put some Metzler Karoo 3 tyres on my 2018 1000xt. The question I have is does anyone have issues in mode 2 with the traction control coming on pretty much all the time with different tyres( they are the same size as original tyres). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
post removed, started paying attention and noticed the issue as well.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad

Last edited by tenny80; 03-25-2019 at 11:34 AM.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-18-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yes I have just put them on it’s about 10 degrees C and dry at the moment. I know the tyres won’t be as grippy as full road tyres, just didn’t think the traction control would activate quite so quickly. Hopefully they will improve with a few more miles on them.

post #4 of 30 Old 03-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
I have run Shinko 804/805, and PR3's and noticed no difference in traction control function. Did you just put these on? is it still cold where you are located?
I don't think lack of traction with cold is the issue. I don't run those tires but even at -18c I don't see unexpected traction control activation and below freezing I run the TC in the most sensitive mode to give me more warning of lack of traction because of ice.

I would want to check that the abs sensors on each wheel are properly installed (since they need to be removed when changing tires.)

It may be possible that there is mold release making the tires more slippery (but I doubt that's the issue) and if so it should stop being an issue after some riding takes it off.

If not any of the above I would want to ask around if anyone else has had issues with that combination of tires and TC. It could be the tire profile makes enough change for the system to think one wheel is running slow enough that there is slippage going on.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 160,000+ km, 100,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #5 of 30 Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
I don't think lack of traction with cold is the issue. I don't run those tires but even at -18c I don't see unexpected traction control activation and below freezing I run the TC in the most sensitive mode to give me more warning of lack of traction because of ice.

I would want to check that the abs sensors on each wheel are properly installed (since they need to be removed when changing tires.)

It may be possible that there is mold release making the tires more slippery (but I doubt that's the issue) and if so it should stop being an issue after some riding takes it off.

If not any of the above I would want to ask around if anyone else has had issues with that combination of tires and TC. It could be the tire profile makes enough change for the system to think one wheel is running slow enough that there is slippage going on.

..Tom
The Karoo is a 50/50 tire though, I have Shinko 804/805 and if it's under 5c, TC2 and I come on to it , even 1/2 throttle the light is blinking. I do not detect ANY slipping, it feels solid but the light blinks. I'm also not sure how you could install the abs sensor incorrectly, it really only goes one way. It is possible though that they didn't remove it and smacked it with the disc. I never remove mine but I know it's there and I wiggle out around it easily but I could see someone thinking the tire is caught on something and pulling on it. I think that would generate an error though

2018 Vstrom 1000
post #6 of 30 Old 03-18-2019, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

There must be something going on size wise that makes the TC think it is starting to slip. Perhaps there is a bit of difference in actual diameter between the front and back that, when cold, gets magnified making it easier for the system to think it's slipping.

That or those tires really sick in the cold (which I doubt!)

..Tom
MAZ4ME likes this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 160,000+ km, 100,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #7 of 30 Old 03-20-2019, 11:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
There must be something going on size wise that makes the TC think it is starting to slip. Perhaps there is a bit of difference in actual diameter between the front and back that, when cold, gets magnified making it easier for the system to think it's slipping.

That or those tires really sick in the cold (which I doubt!)

..Tom
They are a taller tire for sure, I had to buy a fender raising kit from adventuretech because they would rub onthe fender at highway speeds. Marked up my fender pretty good and i'm sure took some life off the tire haha.

I was out tonight messing around and found that in 2nd gear from 20km/hr at a brisk acceleration(maybe 1/3 throttle) the light is on all the wayup to 90km hr. I got no sensation that the tire was actually losing traction.
V-Tom likes this.

2018 Vstrom 1000
post #8 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 12:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

TC2 is useless in my eyes. Maybe it works on wet roads sometimes, but do not try to use it off-road, all you will end up doing is repeatedly stalling the engine.

The tires are not necessarily the issue here, although of course, trying use street tires in mud with TC2 is going to end badly every time.

I have my TC turned off all the time these days.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 02:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

TC is working properly, the tire is spinning up and it's doing it's best to stop that happening. It works fine for me but I'm easy on the throttle and it rarely kicks in. I'll concede I don't use TC2 though even in the rain.

Riders on these big bikes complain of quick tire wear particularly with knobs on and that's why.

Just because you don't feel the slip doesn't mean it's happening, the classic was bikes like RD350's which hit the power band and picked up rpm VERY quickly. Hit a damp white line on one of those and there was a instantly a corresponding brown line in your shorts.

I don't think it's tire diameter, both the ABS and TC are self tuning which is why they don't come on instantly after you start the bike.
Motorpsychology likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 03:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

The thing is, though...
Before the new tires, no TC light on. After the new tires, the TC light comes on. What changed? (Hint--the tires!). A damaged or loose wheel speed sensor would have the ABS light coming on either intermittently or constant, a damaged sensor wire harness would have the ABS on all the time. Is it possible to have slight rear wheel spin on accel and not feel it while the TC system is doing its thing based on a difference in measured wheel speeds with the new tires? Or is there a larger difference in tire diameters that fool the sensors into thinking there is a loss of traction?
With as many tires as Ive done on peoples' bikes through the years, Ive gotten into the habit of measuring the circumferences of the old tires before I deflate them, and the circumferences of the new inflated tires for comparison and dividing by 3.14 to compare diameters.
Seeing as how the TC is a function of the ABS system, TC diagnosis is done by jumping the ABS mode select coupler and counting flashes of the ABS indicator light.
Going through the ABS section of my '14 DL1000 service manual shows 25 flashes=CodeC1625=Wheel Speed Sensor Related Malfunction.
The very 1st item listed as a possible case is "Incorrect Tire Size", followed by "Check that the specified tires are installed."
Yes, tires can show the correct size on the sidewall, but have a different outside diameter, which changes the wheel speed sensor reading and trigger a malfunction light. Most of the cars TC and ABS systems I dealt with had warnings in their service manuals that a difference in tire diameters over 1/4 BETWEEN the tires could trigger a warning light.
in both ABS and TC operation the ABS control unit is looking at the difference in wheel speeds, be it by a wheel locking up during braking or spinning during acceleration.
Big B and V-Tom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode