Panel mount coax connection? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Cambion
  • 1 Post By Yarz1
  • 1 Post By vanislejay
  • 1 Post By Cambion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-12-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Panel mount coax connection?

Anyone come up with a creative way of mounting a coax panel mount connector, for heated gear connection, without drilling a hole in a panel or body work? I'm thinking of ways to lose the dangling cable coming out from under the seat during the colder months.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that I've considered an aux shelf from AdventureTech but I don't think a mounting point up front there is ideal for heated gear connection. Something down by the frame/engine seems ideal.
DesertBike likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."

Last edited by Cambion; 02-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

This is something I made years ago, when I first bought my DL650. It's a housing I made from plastic tubing to house a 12 volt receptacle. It zip tied to one of the arms on the rear frame, on the left side of the bike. I made the plastic housing so it would be waterproof when the receptacle wasn't in use, but that's probably overkill. You could just as simply make a mount out of a piece of aluminum angle, cut a hole in it for the coax outlet, and then zip tie or hose clamp the mount to the frame rail. It'll be right by your left leg, and easy to run a connection from there up to your heated gear.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #3 of 8 Old 02-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Anyone come up with a creative way of mounting a coax panel mount connector, for heated gear connection, without drilling a hole in a panel or body work? I'm thinking of ways to lose the dangling cable coming out from under the seat during the colder months.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that I've considered an aux shelf from AdventureTech but I don't think a mounting point up front there is ideal for heated gear connection. Something down by the frame/engine seems ideal.

If you drill a hole in the tupperware to mount the plug, what will you have to deal with when it comes time to remove the tupperware for any maintenance reasons? Won't you have to un-do it every time to get the panels off?

Do you use a tankbag? Maybe bring power up from the front of the tank, plug it in, and have a powered tank bag. On your end of the tank bag you could mount the coax plug. There probably is something like this SAE plug mount for coax. https://www.rvautoparts.com/ZS-RV-RO...yABEgIzR_D_BwE

I developed a flat wide handlebar shelf that runs from brake reservoir to clutch reservoir (mirror to mirror). I have a number of switches (aux lights) and plugs (for heated gear) and a GPS device mounted there. I use extensions to reach from there, over my tank bag, to my liner or vest plug. It may not be ideal, but works great for me. It is out of my way, and it is in my line of site if I need to adjust heat.
DesertBike likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I mounted mine on the Adventure Tech aux shelf and then put the controller in the side pouch of my tank bag. I can get off my bike before disconnecting. It is a First Gear system. I can reach down and adjust the controller while riding.

NewStrom
post #5 of 8 Old 02-12-2019, 05:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Something Greywolf mentioned when I was thinking about this same thing is this: Inevitably you will step away from your bike with your jacket still plugged in. If you have it connected to a cable, the cable will just flip in the proper direction and disconnect. A mounted plug will not do this so the first time you walk away in the bad direction and pull it at a 90 degree angle it will break loose, or break your cable etc. This idea stopped me from mounting the connector and I got used to just tucking my cable under the seat when not in use.

You could also mount a connector and add a small extension cable in the middle that will disconnect when pulled.
DesertBike likes this.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list
post #6 of 8 Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage

Scott makes these for the FJR community, he likely could help you out.

[email protected]

"The only dumb question is the unasked question" - Anonymous
post #7 of 8 Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Where do you put the controller for your heated gear?

That will inform your choice of where to put the power socket.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you all for the feedback, ideas, and suggestions.

I upgraded to a wireless controller this past year (when my old wired controller finally gave it up). So the connector comes off my jacket liner making a connection point, be it loose cable as it is now or fixed/mounted plug, on the lower left the most simple seeming.

The point about possibly walking away from the bike and breaking off the connector if it's in a fixed mount is a good point and seems a valid concern that I hadn't considered.
DesertBike likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode