XT spoke / nipple check - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

XT spoke / nipple check

Got lazy, 15k and 4 rear tires and never really checked the spokes. Just found 2 missing nipples on the rear. Keep an eye on them - I plan on checking them with an Allen wrench each oil change now.

Big B and Bazooka Joe like this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 12-13-2018, 06:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe some of the dreaded blue locktite? i used to take a screwdriver of small hammer to the spokes of my Honda and Ariel and listen to the tink of the spokes.
If it didn't tink in unison with the rest of the spokes idt was time for an adjustment. Those are far from tink. Those are even below a tunk.
post #3 of 47 Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'd guess that you have never checked them. They do need to be checked, particularly as they first bed in from new.

I would not use any sort of loctite. It may very well distort the sound that you need to hear, as the sound of all the spokes needs to be equal as that tells you that the tension on all is equal.
Take a spanner, or a screwdriver, and run it over the spokes like playing a xylophone and listen to the tones of the different spokes.
A clear tink is good. A tunk is not. They should all sound the same. Tighten all the tunkers until they do.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

post #4 of 47 Old 12-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Not like you aren't hard on bikes Meef!!! I have checked mine several times, so far in 20K nothing loose or missing......but I'll check again soon, thanks for sharing and hope you’re well.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom ďDoloresĒ

Last edited by Big B; 12-14-2018 at 12:39 AM.
post #5 of 47 Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Big B, it's the lost coast that Meef is near. You can lose a lot of things there including spoke parts.
In the woods coming back to the highway my GPS got lost since the trees blocked the satellite signals.
A very dangerous place!
Big B likes this.
post #6 of 47 Old 12-16-2018, 06:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

My previous bike was a 2012 S10 and I lost a spoke nipple on my rear wheel in the first 2k, luckily no damage was done. Also had quite a few loose spokes and checked them regularly with still the odd loose spoke in the rear wheel with 20k plus on the clock. I say this because the wheels on the XT look almost identical to those on the S10???
post #7 of 47 Old 12-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

We S-10 riders know all about this. Common issue. Just check and tighten (especially the rear wheel) when the bike is new until the spokes bed in and then they will be fine for a along time.

Tip from the S-10 boys is to take zip ties and place one where each pair of spokes cross in the middle. I have done both my wheels with black zip ties. Then if the nipple comes off, the spoke will stay put and not damage a wheel.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #8 of 47 Old 12-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

A word of caution- spokes cannot just be arbitrarily tightened until they "ting" like the other spokes. I come from the world of bicycle wheel spokes, and I'll admit to having very little experience with spoked motorcycle wheels. But spokes on any kind of wheel provide structure to the overall wheel by tension, and a change at any one spoke does affect the overall wheel system (bicycle wheels are very sensitive to spoke issues). Spokes are evenly spaced, laced in patterns, and tension needs to be fairly well equalized for optimum structural strength and to maintain true in the round wheel shape (equal radius from the axle to all points on the rim circumference) and without creating side-to-side run out.

I'm guessing Suzuki and/or the wheel manufacturer (if not Suz.) have some sort of spoke tension and nipple torque settings. Motorcycle wheel hubs and rims are a lot beefier than a bicycle's, and probably do a better job of masking spoke related problems, but those problems can still haunt you.

If finding a problem as shown here, I'd go so far to recommend a visit to a mechanic trained on servicing spoked motorcycle wheels. There is a lot of power, speed, and rotational mass at play and those spokes are doing a lot of work.

What does the factory service manual say about spoke servicing and settings?

Steve.
post #9 of 47 Old 12-16-2018, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
A word of caution- spokes cannot just be arbitrarily tightened until they "ting" like the other spokes.................edited..................Wha t does the factory service manual say about spoke servicing and settings? Steve.
This is a motorcycle and not a bike. The wheels are much more robust. What you will find on these wheels is 1 or 2 spokes will loosen early on, the rear especially, then they are pretty much done moving.

The manual only lists a spoke torque value for the nipple. Not much other advice. The trick is to "ping" all the spokes every couple of rides for first 1,000 miles or so. Catch the offenders early.

What I do, if I find a loose spoke. First, I put a piece of tape on it. Then I retention it until it "pings" like its neighbors to the left and right. I spin the wheel and check for lateral run out, especially where the taped spoke is. Next I go 180 degrees to the opposing side of the rim (as in top to bottom, not left to right) and "ping" the 2 or 3 spokes either side of directly across from the one I tightened. Usually all is well and I am done. I ride the bike a time or two then re-"ping" the taped spoke to see how it is behaving. If my taped spoke is still fine, then I start worrying about other issues like what is the best beer brewed.

This is on a Tenere (which uses the same rims and spokes), which is much heavier and has much more torque than a 650 XT.
Big B and Brockie like this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"

Last edited by STCorndog; 12-16-2018 at 12:04 PM.
post #10 of 47 Old 12-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am liking my cast rims even more now.

People complain about chain maintenance all the time, now they also have to do spoke maintenance. I guess it gives you something to do when your not riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode