Adding fat bars to a new Non-XT V-strom 1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Adding fat bars to a new Non-XT V-strom 1000

If I cannot find a good deal on an XT which comes with the fat handlebars, how much of a chore will it be to upgrade to a fat bar on the bike with the alloy wheels and skinny bar? I am doing it mostly for looks as the stock bar on the bike looks so puny I feel like I am on a kids' bike.

I am not overly worried about price and can go with Suzuki stock equipment unless it will break $200; then I will be worried about price LOL. I guess one concern is making sure the barely long enough cables have room and nothing interferes with the fairing and what have you.

NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

NC, I thought about doing the same to my '14 DL1K.
Besides the different handlebars, the handlebar stands and clamps are different, as are the clamp bolts. The bolts that hold the stands to the upper triple clamp are the same for both the thick and thin bars. Just a quick check with MR Cycle microfiche shows that, for example, the thin bar clamp sets are $82.32 X 2, the bolts are $4.27 X 2 and $1.37 X4.
So, not even counting the handlebar itself, youre at $1.68.68 plus shipping. The thin bar is shown as $98. I didnt price the thick bar. Getting close to $300 in total.
Everybody has their personal preferences, the thin bar on my '14 doesnt bother me at all.I'm the only one that sees it anyway.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 PM
eff
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Clamps can be as low as $30 -> https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-Bar-Clamp-Kit

Or get Pro-Taper for $36 -> https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ebar-Mount-Kit

Then pick out your bars. Word of caution is that between the risers and various bar bends, your brake lines and cables may not be long enough. Just test to make sure before they are before riding off.

2007 V-Strom 650
2004 GasGas EC250

post #4 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

My buddy did this to his 2014 and I think he spent about $330 for everything from the Suzuki dealer.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard and lots of custom parts and mods

2007 Suzuki Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Cool. Nice to have different options. I'll check out the bike tomorrow.

NC
post #6 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Out of curiosity, why do you want fat bars?
post #7 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoandiris View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you want fat bars?
As vain as it sounds, I don't like the look of the really narrow bars on the non-XT version of the bike. In part they look flimsy and do not inspire confidence and that overall design makes them look like a scooter or something much less substantial than an ADV bike.

On a practical note, the doctor just told me the visit from Mr. Arthur Itis is here to stay and I am far worse than any man he has ever seen in my age group. So the fat bars may vibrate less as well.

NC
post #8 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
Clamps can be as low as $30 -> https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...-Bar-Clamp-Kit

Or get Pro-Taper for $36 -> https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ebar-Mount-Kit

Then pick out your bars. Word of caution is that between the risers and various bar bends, your brake lines and cables may not be long enough. Just test to make sure before they are before riding off.
The kits like pro taper normally just mount their brackets to the existing skinny bar mounts which raise the bars about an inch or so. I'd need a really low bar to make sure everything has enough room to work. This is one reason I'd go with the all Suzuki method but with my luck the Suzuki V-STrom 1000 XT not only comes with the fatter bars but has longer cables to match them as well.

Hopefully I can find a yellow XT which will resolve this matter.

NC
eff likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
On a practical note, the doctor just told me the visit from Mr. Arthur Itis is here to stay and I am far worse than any man he has ever seen in my age group. So the fat bars may vibrate less as well.
If you haven't already, look into Grip Puppies, or similar, too. Some like ISO Grips. I prefer the Grip Puppies, but I am also cheap.
post #10 of 25 Old 10-31-2018, 03:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
The kits like pro taper normally just mount their brackets to the existing skinny bar mounts which raise the bars about an inch or so. I'd need a really low bar to make sure everything has enough room to work. This is one reason I'd go with the all Suzuki method but with my luck the Suzuki V-STrom 1000 XT not only comes with the fatter bars but has longer cables to match them as well.

Hopefully I can find a yellow XT which will resolve this matter.

NC
I'm have a yellow 2018 1000 XT. The bars are beefier down by the clamps but taper to the smaller diameter at the grips, so they may not help with Mr. Arthur Itis.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode