• 1 Post By Spec
  • 1 Post By NVDucati
  • 2 Post By Robert O'Sullivan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Question Cornering ABS

I am not asking about the merits of cornering ABS but I have an engineering question. The 2018 DL1000 has cornering ABS which is managed by a Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU). Would lowering the new DL1000 using a lowering link and by adjusting the front forks in the triple clamp impact the IMU and compromise the safety benefits of the technology?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fghog View Post
I am not asking about the merits of cornering ABS but I have an engineering question. The 2018 DL1000 has cornering ABS which is managed by a Bosch Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU). Would lowering the new DL1000 using a lowering link and by adjusting the front forks in the triple clamp impact the IMU and compromise the safety benefits of the technology?

I wouldn't think so. The ABS is measuring lean angle, ride height wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I'm curious how intrusive it is in corners. Aggressive trail braking going to work? Or will the ABS say nope?
NVDucati likes this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #3 of 4 Old 10-17-2018, 12:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I wouldn't think so. The ABS is measuring lean angle, ride height wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I'm curious how intrusive it is in corners. Aggressive trail braking going to work? Or will the ABS say nope?
Interesting question. Like most folks I don't really know the answer. But I agree that it would not matter if you lowered it.
Has anyone else noticed an absence of any real magazine testing leaning ABS systems on street bikes?
Spec likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]

post #4 of 4 Old 11-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

I haven't had my new DL1000 delivered yet, but I have had over 30,000 km's experience of riding a bike with this technology fitted. My 2017 Triumph Tiger XCA had this feature and combined with the semi active WP suspension was a revelation. I like to play hard with the sports bikes up here in the Adelaide Hills, and when running 50/50 tyres, the bike tended to squirm a lot when pushing the boundaries of the tyres intended use.

I found the system (on the Triumph) to be very un-intrusive, but you could feel it working very quietly in the background.

I am hoping the Strom's system is as good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (510.8 KB, 8 views)
ZRX4ME and Spec like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode