2018 XT vs ABS whatís really different? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-17-2018, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
2018 XT vs ABS whatís really different?

Besides color and spoked wheels, are there any real difference that you would notice while riding? I would probably only go off road a bit. And since the tires are the same for both types of wheels, would there be any difference on the street?

I wonder if one is heavier than the other? I have forged AL wheels on my other bikes.

I would be interested if anybody with insight or have ridden both versions would comment.

Thanks!
NorCalFactory is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 1,670
Comparisons HERE:
Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - V-Strom 650 - 2018 - DL650XA

You can compare the EX to the ABS models in both the 650 and the 1000 models.
From what Ive seen the differences are in weights, rims, colors, pricing, and having hand guards.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 09-17-2018 at 03:42 AM.
MAZ4ME is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks, Iím interested in differences while riding. Spoked wheels are often heavier which should translate to slower steering at speed. Just wondering if it is significant. Or a just pick your color or wheel preference for looks deal.
NorCalFactory is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old 09-17-2018, 10:05 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
SECoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern Missouri - Ozarks
Posts: 13,119
Get the 1000 instead of the 650 of either flavor. The XT also has tapered aluminum bars besides the spokes. The spokes are a pain to keep clean unless you really need them and then they only help so much on a 500 lb. bike slamming on rocks.

There are spokes on my Kawasaki Versys 300 and I run the fire roads with it. I would take them or leave them.

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 and 1000XT Review | 11 Fast Facts
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...11-fast-facts/
Lrobby99 likes this.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 09-17-2018 at 10:09 AM.
SECoda is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, Calif
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
Get the 1000 instead of the 650 of either flavor. The XT also has tapered aluminum bars besides the spokes. The spokes are a pain to keep clean unless you really need them and then they only help so much on a 500 lb. bike slamming on rocks.

There are spokes on my Kawasaki Versys 300 and I run the fire roads with it. I would take them or leave them.

2018 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 and 1000XT Review | 11 Fast Facts
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...11-fast-facts/
Interestingly, there are several features advertised on the XT that aren't legit. The tapered bars are steel... mine attract a magnet, and are rusting, so they are not aluminum as Suzuki claims. The "one touch start" also is not a real thing, since I regularly have to hold the start button to get the engine to catch. I don't give a shit about either of these things, but it makes me wonder what else is misrepresented.

I got the XT because of the spoked wheels, and if I'm being honest, I got the spoked wheels for appearances.
Big B likes this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
MeefZah is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
SECoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern Missouri - Ozarks
Posts: 13,119
Well that sucks. Suzuki was advertising them as "premium" aluminum handlebars.

One review. "The XT upgrade also affords a more “premium” aluminum handlebar. However we couldn’t notice much difference from the standard bar." I guess not. They must have ditched the aluminum. Maybe the change was to chinese steel. :-) Mine aren't rusting on a 2014.

I would complain about the one-touch starting.

Maybe the 2018 was mainly a cost savings machine. The power dropped a bit too with that ozone stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
The tapered bars are steel... mine attract a magnet, and are rusting, so they are not aluminum as Suzuki claims. The "one touch start" also is not a real thing, since I regularly have to hold the start button to get the engine to catch. I don't give a shit about either of these things, but it makes me wonder what else is misrepresented.

I got the XT because of the spoked wheels, and if I'm being honest, I got the spoked wheels for appearances.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 09-24-2018 at 10:18 AM.
SECoda is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rome Italy
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
Get the 1000 instead of the 650 of either flavor. The XT also has tapered aluminum bars besides the spokes. The spokes are a pain to keep clean unless you really need them and then they only help so much on a 500 lb. bike slamming on rocks.
well the 650 has a number of advantages against the 1000, while the 1000 is indeed a better equipped bike: weight, money (to buy and run it), heat. The 650 is also better inside cities or low speed roads.

I have chosen to sacrify power and speed getting a 650 instead of getting a 1000.

It depends mainly on your budget, type of usage and what you would like from a bike. That's why there are so many models to choose

Going back to the topic, I got the spoked wheels because they look nicer and they were only 300 euro more. The rest of accessories here in Italy are actually the same (there is a Italy only promo in this period where they give you a bunch of accessories for free).
fear_factory84 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
SECoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern Missouri - Ozarks
Posts: 13,119
It's primarily the budget. I owned both and the weight difference was imperceivable IMO. The folks that test the low-speed maneuvering using cones (like we did in a parking lot) discovered that the low speed performance is not better either once you got used to the throttle. The stock throttle is a bit touchier on the 1000 but I got used to that in a heart beat and even added a Crampbuster. Budget I understand.

In reality, I only paid $2k more for my new leftover V2 over my new leftover Gen 2 DL650A. The benefits (just the seat lol ) eats that right up. Don't get me wrong - I loved my 650 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_factory84 View Post
well the 650 has a number of advantages against the 1000, while the 1000 is indeed a better equipped bike: weight, money (to buy and run it), heat. The 650 is also better inside cities or low speed roads.

I have chosen to sacrify power and speed getting a 650 instead of getting a 1000.

It depends mainly on your budget, type of usage and what you would like from a bike. That's why there are so many models to choose

Going back to the topic, I got the spoked wheels because they look nicer and they were only 300 euro more. The rest of accessories here in Italy are actually the same (there is a Italy only promo in this period where they give you a bunch of accessories for free).

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 09-24-2018 at 01:06 PM.
SECoda is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rome Italy
Posts: 36
The gen3 650 has a similar seat compared to the strom 1000. Obviously the 1000 has better suspensions and more power. The engine perhaps it's more rough and doesn't allow the "related" feeling of the 650 one.

For me the difference was around 4k euro between a new 650 xt and a new 1000 xt, and I already own a Versys 1000, and I'm changing it to have a lighter, less protective and less "hot" (in terms of engine heat) bike. Changing the Versys 1000 with a vstrom 1000 made no sense to me.
While the Versys 1000 is on sale, I'll probably use both so I will enjoy the best of the two worlds!
fear_factory84 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
SECoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern Missouri - Ozarks
Posts: 13,119
Frankly, with the V3 and Gen 3 650 the 650 is a better bang for the buck IMO than the V3 even with a price increase. I am glad I have the V2 after some of the V3 reports (I also test rode a V3). I actually had just slightly more mid-range vibration in my 650 than 1000 but I am a lucky one on the V2 with no idle hammer noise some get. The 1000 engine is more throaty and powerful sounding as I would expect with some 30+ more HP. I like the sound of both (unlike a Super Tenere). Living in the Ozarks I ride mainly in twisties rather than any cities so that is my basis for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear_factory84 View Post
The gen3 650 has a similar seat compared to the strom 1000. Obviously the 1000 has better suspensions and more power. The engine perhaps it's more rough and doesn't allow the "related" feeling of the 650 one.

For me the difference was around 4k euro between a new 650 xt and a new 1000 xt, and I already own a Versys 1000, and I'm changing it to have a lighter, less protective and less "hot" (in terms of engine heat) bike. Changing the Versys 1000 with a vstrom 1000 made no sense to me.
While the Versys 1000 is on sale, I'll probably use both so I will enjoy the best of the two worlds!
fear_factory84 likes this.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)
SECoda is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring 2018 - Romney, West Virginia - May 18 - May 20, 2018 Dirt_Dad Events 162 01-11-2019 07:38 PM
2018 Eastern V-Strom Rally, Stecoah, NC. May 17-20, 2018 mark444 Events 350 01-06-2019 10:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome