Snappy throttle (on/off) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Snappy throttle (on/off)

Ok so it's been a few months now that I got the bike and my only complaint is the throttle at low speed. Throttle cable play and chain slack are fine it's really like there's a dead spot in the throttle at low speed (in 1st of 2nd).

I've read a little and it looks like it's the way the mapping has been done, so will a PCV will can help prevent the fuel cut? I commute with the bike and with the cold season coming I want to get my hand off the freezing cold clutch lever as much as possible when following traffic at low speed. Went down a tooth in front and now looking at going up 2 in the back, but still afraid it won't be enough and looking for other solutions.
dwayneh likes this.

2018 Yellow DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

A lot of folks like throttle tamer for this. It definitely works, but it's not for everyone. I didn't like how it made the bike feel slow.. it required much more of a twist to get into power, but it definitely smoothed out initial roll-on.
I know PC helps with throttle tip-in on many bikes, but no personal experience with it on the V. I think the throttle on this bike is not bad at all, compared to some others I've ridden, but again to each his own.
Can also try lever covers to get rid of the cold feel:
Bugzy, basshead and lzeplin like this.
post #3 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead View Post
Ok so it's been a few months now that I got the bike and my only complaint is the throttle at low speed. Throttle cable play and chain slack are fine it's really like there's a dead spot in the throttle at low speed (in 1st of 2nd).

I've read a little and it looks like it's the way the mapping has been done, so will a PCV will can help prevent the fuel cut? I commute with the bike and with the cold season coming I want to get my hand off the freezing cold clutch lever as much as possible when following traffic at low speed. Went down a tooth in front and now looking at going up 2 in the back, but still afraid it won't be enough and looking for other solutions.

I think that you've made the problem worse by gearing the bike lower. That's going to exaggerate the on/off lurching not smooth it out.

Slipping the clutch is just part of low speed riding. Ride the back brake and slip if you're going under 5mph. You're not going to be able to get a smooth throttle transition from 0 to 5% (for example) no matter what you do. There's inherent slop in the system, i.e. throttle cables, linkage, chain, rear hub cushions, etc.

WebBikeWorld has a good series on the 1000. He takes steps to smooth out the throttle and my 1000 has his recommendations. Still going slow (<5mph) it's slip the clutch ride the rear brake.
VSrider, Brockie and basshead like this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

post #4 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Under 5mph, I will slip the clutch and drag the rear brake, it's over 5mph that I have an issue.

Again this morning I was on a ramp (180 deg U with a small decline) in 2nd, traffic slowed down so I let the throttle go a little and bike start to engine brake way too much and had to straighten the bike and downshift in 1st. Not the end of the world, but the 09 DL650 never did that in the same rpm range (I know different bike/engine)

I've ordered those exact sleeve a few weeks back from China and hope they get here soon. From what I've read they work, but are a PITA to install.

Like spec mentioned, the gearing probably doesn't help and this morning I probably would have been in 1st without the new gearing giving me more rpm. I'll try to go up 2-3 teeth in the back and see how I like it since 90% of my riding is my commute and don't my top speed.
erci likes this.

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #5 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
When I'm in first my fingers are on the clutch lever ready to slip it. A lot of people ride with their fingers on the levers all the time. I don't but I'm quick to slip if needed.

I wouldn't have shifted down to 1st in your ramp example I would have slipped the clutch in 2nd. Down shifting from 2nd to first just increases the engine surge.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #6 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 04:35 PM
$tromtrooper

Throttle tamer is your friend....

Norm
Riding for 60 years
Current Rides
2018 Suzuki DL 1000 ADV.
2010 Yamaha XT250
2005 BMW R 1200 RT Gone
2011 Suzuki DL650 Gone
Plus 43 other Dirt and Street Bikes from AJS to Harley in my past...
post #7 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Grip Puppies can help a sharp throttle, as they slightly increase grip diameter and therefore increase the 'rolling radius'.
basshead likes this.
post #8 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Grip Puppies can help a sharp throttle, as they slightly increase grip diameter and therefore increase the 'rolling radius'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pXY2CGyqWo
yeah already have grip buddies on the bike, I guess the next step is the tamer.

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #9 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Keep the 16T front sprocket and install a boosterplug

There are several posts about it here, search using google.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/5106346-post9.html
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...ml#post5106346

Will not be perfect but more manageable at lower rpm's. Its a bit pricy but I like mine!
basshead and NVDucati like this.

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #10 of 41 Old 09-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
After trying many different ways to secure new grips I found that squirting a black spray can inside the grip, plus tie wire to be the best method by far. The paint lubricates the grip on and allows time to move it into position. I never use glue, and even rain or mud will not move them. This is my method learned on dirt bikes.
Try a little clearcoat spray can on the lever covers.
I also recommend taking as much free play as possible from the throttle cable to reduce lurching, but check carefully lock to lock before riding. You also need to use the clutch. It is unavoidable at jogging speeds. Injected v-twins tend to be very snatchy on/off throttle.
Spec, VSrider and basshead like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode