Snappy throttle (on/off) - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 Old 05-08-2019, 02:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

When I fitted the Mc Cruise unit to my 2014 V2 I spoke to them and they were telling me about the fuel cut and my understanding at the time was all Stroms from around 2009 on had it but I did not confirm this with them.

You could call and ask them if you are interested, they are great guys and one brother rides a Strom.

The fuel cut only became more evident in the later bikes.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 07-01-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Installed the Arrow race collector last week and just ordered the Woolich ecu programmer.
the decel pop caused by the fuel cut is driving me nuts since I installed the collector and it should solve my throttle issue.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #33 of 41 Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just checked and corrected my '18 1000's TPS today.

A question was asked in this thread if the '18 is the same as the '14 thru '16- yes, my '18 was the same procedure as the 14-16.

My TPS was set at _c. I readjusted to -c and put it all back together. If everything goes well, this should be a half hour job. (My bike took about an hour- see my note #2 below)

A few notes-
1. You only need to lift, and not remove, the tank to access the adjustment screw. The gas tank lift adn remove procedure is in the owners manual.
2. I had a problem with the two chrome plated screws on top of the tank which hold the left & right "beak" side covers. Upon reassembly, neither of these screws wanted to thread back into the flimsy support bracket. I needed to re-tap both threads of the support bracket before the screws would thread up. (maybe extra zinc plating on the threads?) These require an M6x1.0 size tap, if you want to buy a tap.
3. You'll likely have a contraption of sockets and extensions to get the Torx safety bit to the adjustment screw. Be sure to wrap some electrical tape around these tools to secure them together so that these tools don't drop into the wiring harness.
4. The test plug is found under the RH rear of the seat. Not sure if this is the same as the older bikes.

Results- A very big improvement- VERY big. The overly snappy throttle is gone. The lower rpm powerband is now much smoother, with none of the previous ON/OFF throttle response. The bike is easier to ride in every gear. I'd strongly recommend for everybody to check their bike's setting.

A great big thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. I very much appreciate your sharing the information.
Big B likes this.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.

Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 07-10-2019 at 06:40 PM.

post #34 of 41 Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

If that flimsy support is the same as earlier years, I know your problem. IT IS NOT that it needs to be re-tapped. The support tends to bend down and then the screw to attach the covers enters the thread at the wrong angle. You must bend both ends upwards so you basically push it down when you attach those side covers. You need to fight with the whole assembly to make sure everything lines up correctly. Once it does the screw will go in. There obviously was a thread or else how would that screw have gone in in the first place.

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #35 of 41 Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Blaustrom, I hear what you're saying, but my holes were indeed in need of retapping. That, and I know fully well how to thread a screw into position.

post #36 of 41 Old 07-13-2019, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

BJ, the TPS setting procedure went much faster using the $20 tool from Suzuki to switch back and forth between odometer and dealer mode. On my '14 V2 the connector for the secondary throttle was a bit in the way, so I disconnected it before adjusting the TPD, then reconnected the SCTV after adjustment. The tool prevented a code being set for the SCTV if I inadvertently turned the key on before reconnecting.

I have the small tamper-proof Torx Allen key set, but it was much easier and faster using a 10" 1/4" drive locking extension, socket, and ratchet.

After removing the fuel tank front and top trims and partially repositioning rear side trims, removing the 2 front side fuel tank brackets behind the steering head on each inner side of the frame made raising the tank a snap, and the flat steel piece under the fuel tank rear hold-down bolt was the perfect tank prop-one end fits the tank rear hole, the other end fits the rear fuel tank support bracket.

Both the G2 Throttle Tamer and Booster Plug was mentioned in this thread. It's POSSIBLE that neither would have been necessary if the TPS had been correctly set from the get-go. I mentioned to the Suzuki Factory District Service Manager that perhaps this setting/adjustment should be made as part of the pre-delivery inspection. He dropped his shoulders, sighed and told me that the guys in the shops would never do it.
So...as owners, and as usual,...it's up to US to make sure things are right.
Big B likes this.
post #37 of 41 Old 07-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post

Both the G2 Throttle Tamer and Booster Plug was mentioned in this thread. It's POSSIBLE that neither would have been necessary if the TPS had been correctly set from the get-go.
Yes, agree absolutely- try the TPS adjustment first.

I've been on a couple of two up rides since the adjustment. My wife/passenger commented on the overall improved engine behavior. The power difference before/after the adjustment is substantial. It's not faster, but so much smoother. The low rpm abruptness is gone, the engine pulls better at low-low rpm and rolls on smoothly as the engine pulls thru 3k rpm where the power/torque would previously surge. You can now lug thru a sharp tee corner and leave it in 3rd gear and it will pull smoothly to shift speed. Very nice. Another thing to note, is that the closed throttle compression braking is substantially less with the TPS set correctly.

Thinking about all this, maybe the factory purposely sets the TPS to the [_c ] position to meet Euro 4 emissions spec.

Thanks again to everybody for their contributions to this thread.

post #38 of 41 Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

BJ, I did have one '14 DL650 that was right on the money in terms of TPS adjustment.
If the factory sets the TPS it's adjusted either to a voltage or a resistance spec during throttle body assembly.
Most TPS voltage settings at idle stop is .7 to 1.0 VDC. The GSX-S1000 TPS voltage, measured by backprobing the sensor wire (pink, black tracer) at the ECU was set at .8VDC before the adjustment. Afterwards it was at 1.0VDC, but I'd still use the on-screen display for TPS setting.
After I had the ECU recall done--before the TPS adjustment--The bike ran better, sounded better, but truth be told I had no driveability issues before the ECU change, I had a discussion with the Suzuki District Service Rep. He told me that the replacement ECU was programmed to mimic the characteristics of the '18 Euro-4 emissions compliance models. Changes included operations of the secondary throttle control, which directly affects closed throttle braking and idle speed, and operation of the exhaust control valve(opens earlier and stays open longer). He didnt know if there were changes to injector duration or ignition timing profile.
My results of the TPS adjustment mirrors yours. Absolutely no downside to this adjustment.
There is also a voltage setting for the secondary throttle valve actuator, .6VDC if I remember correctly. Mine was right on spec, no adjustment necessary.
post #39 of 41 Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

+1 for the G2 Throttle Tamer. It really helped that problem for me. As far as the cold clutch lever, I got hand guards, winter gloves and heated grips. I don't think you want anything that encourages you to keep your hand off the clutch. The "friction zone" is your friend.

Self-medicating two-wheel therapist...
post #40 of 41 Old 07-16-2019, 10:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

MAZ4ME,

The $20 Suzuki tool which you mention- exactly what is this tool & also the part number, if you have it? I'd probably like to get one.

JMF552, I was just curious if you could verify your TPS setting on the speedo (after you jump the connector)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode