Snappy throttle (on/off) - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 74 Old 10-12-2018, 12:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

MAX4ME, thanks. When I try it out I'll take a picture for future reference.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 74 Old 10-12-2018, 01:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Blau, GLAD to share.
If yours is on the money, youre all good to go.
But, you dont know, and can't know until you check.
The TPS can be out of spec, but you wont show a code unless there is an open or short in the TPS or its related circuit.

If you do have to adjust the TPS, it's a matter of removing the seat, the bolt that holds down the back of the tank to the frame, removing the 2 screws and tank top metal trim pieces, the bolts holding the side trim to the tank and repositioning that trim outward , the lower tank side trim and repositioning that trim outwards, the plastic tank center trim bolt, and the 4 push pins at the front of the tank holding the tank center plastic trim. Remove the tank center plastic trim.If you have a tanklock mount for a tank bag, the mount will have to be removed as well(4 screws). Once all the trim is removed( 4mm and 5mm Allen bolts? remove the bolts holding the tank front side mounts to the frame and remove the mounts(6mm hex bolt). Under the bolt previously removed holding the rear of the tank down remove the tank stay and both top and bottom rubber bushings. The tank stay has 2 small projections on one side and a wide projection on the other. The 2 small projections fit into corresponding holes in the frame, the wide projection will fit into the bushing hole in the rear of the tank supporting it 3" above the frame. The TPS adjusting screw is the lower of the 2 on the left rear of the throttle body. With 1/8" throttle free play(adjust cable at the grip area if necessary), the 2 terminals in the Dealer Mode connector jumpered, key on, engine off. Using a T25 Tamperproof torx socket bit and 1/4" drive extension and ratchet slightly loosen the TPS hold-down bolt so as to rotate the TPS. It takes just a slight adjustment--do this a little at a time. When correct, snap the throttle closed to make sure the adjustment stays correct. DO NOT JUMPER THE WHITE/RED WIRE ON THE UPPER LEFT SIDE OF THE CONNECTOR TO THE BLACK/WHITE WIRE ON THE LOWER RIGHT SIDE OF THE CONNECTOR. The 2 terminals to be jumpered are stacked one over the other on the right side of the connector.
It took me about 5-7 minutes to get the tank trim off and raise the tank, about 5 solid minutes of adjusting and locking the bolt to get the correct adjustment. Take your time. The trim and tank reinstall is about 6 minutes. You may have to fish the torx bit past a wire harness to get it into the bolt.
Get all your side trim screws threaded before you tighten anything. Reinstall the tank rear bushings, stay, and bolt and tighten the bolt. Then install the front tank mounts and bolts and tighten. Finally, reinstall the center trim, the 4 trim clips at the front of the center trim, and the rear trim bolt. Remove the paper clip from the connector, reinstall the connector cam and your seat. DONE! But if yours is set correctly, all you you need to do is check.
Bazooka Joe likes this.
post #23 of 74 Old 10-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

So I checked mine and it was also at the "__c00" position. I adjusted it to the "--c00" position. The TP sensor is just behind where the original wire chafing recall was located. So there are a bunch of wires plus I added more, so no pictures of the TPS since you really can't see it well on my bike. I took the tank off since access was so poor but others may not need to do that. Once all the Tupperware is off the tank is easy to take of. No test-ride, the rear wheel is out and no brake pads.

EDIT: Test rode it, no big difference in my case BUT my bike was running nicely even before and I have a "boosterplug" installed that made it much nicer since it changes the fueling at low throttle openings. I can accelerate from 2k onwards if I apply throttle gently.

Here are images of the dealer plug with sophisticated "paperclip switch" and the dash readings as well as a clip from the service manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dealer Mode Plug.JPG (42.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg TPS Position setting.JPG (69.0 KB, 47 views)
Bazooka Joe and basshead like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

Last edited by blaustrom; 10-20-2018 at 10:42 AM.

post #24 of 74 Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Blau, yes, that is exactly as mine and the other 2 Ive adjusted were originally set at. Thanks for the pics.
The change to the correct setting made a marked improvement in throttle response , cold running, etc in my '14 DL1K with no loss of fuel economy.
The GSX-S1000 has, according to the owner, been transformed. For a year and a half he put up with hesitations, bucking, low-rpm surge when all he needed was this relatively simple adjustment. The GSXR-750 has likewise seen an improvement in throttle response and on/off/on transitions.

I have only 6650 miles on my DL1K, but there is another adjustment I'll be checking when the time comes--Secondary Throttle Valve Sensor. This requires, according the the service manual, removing the air cleaner assembly and backprobing the STVS connector wires a-c, while manually holding the the secondary throttle plate closed. The nominal setting is .6VDC. As mine has the recall ECU, and since secondary throttle valve strategy was changed in the recall ECU, I'm curious as to what mine is set at, and any performance changes if reset. The hold-down screw for the STVS is just above and to the left of the TPS hold-down screw, same T25 torx bit used.

The Suzuki tool greatly simplified the adjustment sequence on the GSX-S1000. The secondary throttle vave sensor connector is directly in the way of the TPS hold-down screw, so it had to be disconnected each and every time I had to adjust the TPS. If the key was on, and the STVS was disconnected a code for the STVS would have been entered in ECU history. The switched tool made that easy to avoid. But as youve seen with your Vstrom, it isnt necessary.
When you can, I'd be interested to see if you notice any driveability or power changes as a result of this adjustment.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 10-14-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #25 of 74 Old 11-25-2018, 07:17 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

2017 dl1000 xt

hi i tried this test on my 1000xt the c00 code appeared but no dash even when i rotater the throttle am i missing something or is the xt different
post #26 of 74 Old 11-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Unless something is different with the '17 and later, I can't say why there is no hyphen. That would have to be verified with a '17 or later service manual, or another '17 bike.
My manual is a '14 DL1000A with supplements added covering changes for the '15 and '16 models.
The Suzuki's I've checked are my '14 DL1K, '14 Vstrom650, '10 GSXR750, and '16 GSX-S1000.
Of these only the Vstrom650 was right on the mark and didnt need resetting the TPS.
post #27 of 74 Old 11-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

thanks for reply i may have to get myself a service manual. only other thing ive done is fit servo eliminator but i couldnt think that would make a difference
post #28 of 74 Old 11-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just asking....but how did it run before the servo eliminator kit?
post #29 of 74 Old 11-27-2018, 07:16 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

servo eliminator didnt seem to make much differenceas valve is basically open all the time except idle but yoshi slip on was big off in driveability and helped a lot with on and off throttle response
post #30 of 74 Old 05-07-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
OK so my TPS isn't off, but found an interesting piece of information in the 2018 Vee Mccruise thread.

So the bike basically shut off the fuel completely when there's no throttle and the RPM is around 2500RPM or below. That could explain my issue.

Now you can disable it (and other features) with the Woolich Racing ECU flash

I really want to give this a try since there's no PCV map available for the 2017+ (need one for my full Arrow system) and a shop can use this tool to tune the ECU on the dyno.

Features available for Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom 2017-2018

IAP Fuel Maps
TPS Fuel Maps
Ignition Timing Maps
Ignition Dwell Map/s
Electronic Throttle Valve (ETV) Maps
Fuel Trim Map/s
Exhaust Valve Opening Maps
Adjust RPM Limiter
Adjust Fan Temperature
Quickshifter - (Requires Race Tools)
Launch Control - (Requires Race Tools)
Pit Lane Limiter - (Requires Race Tools)
Race Shift Pattern Sensor Configuration - (Requires Race Tools)
Disable Evap / Purge Valve
Disable Stock O2 Sensor
Disable Deceleration Fuel Cut
Disable Exhaust Valve
Disable PAIR Valve / AIS
Disable Top Speed Limiter
Engine Data - View Live Engine Data
Woolich Racing AutoTune - (Requires Applicable LogBox + Zeitronix Package)
Diagnostics: Read and Clear Fault Codes - (Requires Applicable V3 Interface)

2018 Yellow DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode