Snappy throttle (on/off) - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 74 Old 09-05-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Ok so after reading and watching many reviews I've decided to give the Booster Plug a try.

2018 Yellow DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 74 Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Got the Booster Plug yesterday and installed it this morning.

Here's what the site say it will do and my observations so far after my morning commute:

Improved and softer throttle response when rolling the throttle on-off.

yes, I'll admit the bike is much smoother when you start in first, but the roll-off (my primary complaint) is still very noticeable and not sure if there's any change

Enrichment of Air/Fuel mixture when you open the throttle will improve acceleration.
only did one real pull and it could be placebo effect, but it did feel quicker

Remove the Jerky low speed running that is typical for modern lean burn engines.
I can now get down to 2100 rpm and the bike with start to pull without issue, before under 2500 was very jerky

Stronger and more reliable Idle.
it does feel smoother

Reduced Puffing in your aftermarket exhaust on engine braking.
Nope, same as before

Is this little thing worth it at 160$? I'd say yes, it didn't solve my issue, but I still like how the bike feel and respond now.

Next change will be to try to completely remove the slack in the throttle, now I'm within the recommend spec, but will try to remove more and make sure moving the steering doesn't affect it.
Spec, Webfors, erci and 1 others like this.

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #13 of 74 Old 09-12-2018, 11:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Booster Plug: Very similar to my findings. Still pops into the exhaust.

Removing the slack in your throttle is a must to reduce the jerking.
Big B likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #14 of 74 Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've just installed the G2 Throttle Tamer on my 2017 Vee. It's solved 85% of my problems regarding the snatchy throttle, highway speeds are easier to hold as a bonus. I can live with the throttle now, money well spent!
post #15 of 74 Old 10-05-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Just got my G2 tamer this morning. Hope it help lol

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #16 of 74 Old 10-10-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
love the G2, it removed the instant on and gave me extra room before switching to off. Now I can take that ramp and slightly adjust my speed without having to slip the clutch or change gear.

Also I got myself a pair of battery heated gloves, so far it made a huge difference when stuck in traffic keeping my left fingers warm, now I just need winter tires, but my wife won't let me (it's a good thing)
Spec likes this.

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #17 of 74 Old 10-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Basshead, allow me to suggest something that may improve your throttle response.
Ive recently done this procedure on a '16 GSX-S1000, my '14 Vstrom1000. a '07 GSXR-750, and a '14 Vstrom650.
Check your Throttle Position Sensor setting.
This is REAL simple and quick and will cost you nothing to check. Adjust your throttle cable slack to 1/8" rotational free play at the grip.
1) Remove the seat and locate the white 6-pin Dealer Mode Connector
2) Remove the Dealer mode Connector cap and set aside
3) Dealer Mode Connector terminal end facing you with the cap latch on top, jumper the white/red and black/white wire terminals at the right side of the connector together with an unbent small paper clip. These terminals are stacked one over the other.
4) Turn ignition switch to the "ON" position, engine off
5) Look at your trip odometer in your gauge cluster--it will have switched from tripmeter to code reader. If there is no diagnostic trouble code you will see "C00". If your TPS adjustment is correct, you will see a hyphen just to the left of the "C", as in "-C" On the Vstrom the hyphen may be inline with the top of the "C". If the hyphen is either at the bottom of the "C:, or above the "C", the TPS needs adjustment.
My friend's Vstrom 650 was right on the money.
My Vstrom1000 was at the bottom of the C but had no drivability issues. I raised the tank, and using a T25 Tamperproof Torx bit, 1/4" drive ratchet and locking 6" extension, adjusted my TPS to spec--the top of the "C".
It ran great before, but is outstanding now. Smoother cold running, better throttle response, more power everywhere.
The GSX-R750 was at the bottom of the C. Same story, the owner reports smoother on-off-n throttle transitions, smoother and quicker response.
The real deal was a friend's GSX-S1000. For a year and a half he complained of buck on off-on throttle transitions, hesitations during low-speed maneuvers. He installed a G2 Throttle Tamer, only slightly better. He had his ECU reprogrammed 3 times, $$$$, and still didnt run right. He seriously considered selling the bike.
I did the TPS check--and it was waaay off, at the bottom. I adjusted the TPS...AND FIXED Totally different bike now and he is thrilled.
I did purchase the Suzuki Tool to do this job, makes it quicker and easier. Part # 09930-82720, was $20 shipped. But a paper clip will do.
The lesson here is twofold: Never assume the factory settings are correct, and dont do performance mods trying to correct drivability issues until you make sure the specified settings are right.
Big B, Bazooka Joe, dravnx and 3 others like this.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 10-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.
post #18 of 74 Old 10-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

… My Vstrom1000 was at the bottom of the C but had no drivability issues. I raised the tank, and using a T25 Tamperproof Torx bit, 1/4" drive ratchet and locking 6" extension, adjusted my TPS to spec--the top of the "C". …

Can you please confirm, did you adjust to:

--"C"

or
--
"C" .. meaning on top

rather than in the center?

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #19 of 74 Old 10-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Blau, on the GSXR-750 the hyphen was adjusted to the -C, center of back of C.
The GSX-S1000 was likewise adjusted to the -C.

My '14 Vstrom1000 does not adjust to the center of the C as in the above 2. It adjusts correctly with the hyphen even with the top top of the C (My puter wont do that, sorry. Picture these 2 apostrophes as a singly hyphen ""C)

There are only 3 readings possible. 1) _C, 2) -C, and 3) ''C

The correct setting is "C for the '14 DL1000.
In all cases, when the hyphen is above the C or at the bottom of the C the setting is incorrect, and this TPS setting will have the ECU running lean at all throttle positions. The TPS is set at closed throttle, but its setting affects the whole range of throttle rotation.
post #20 of 74 Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm a newbie and have also felt a bit of a snappy throttle on my 2017 V-Strom DL650, but I thought it was me not having great throttle control yet. I'll have to pay attention to it and see if it's me or the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode