Is the 17-18 that much better than the 14? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Is the 17-18 that much better than the 14?

I own a klr and have ridden it cross country with no issues but am wanting something a little more powerful. I normally ride by myself or with a group of Harleys and though I have no problem keeping up or pulling away from them the klr needs a bit more power. I'm looking at either an 18 xt or maybe a low mile 14. Is there significant difference in the two? Anybody have regrets from going from klr to the strom? I'd like to run the Alpine loop in it next year, is that to much to ask of the bike?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Tex, the '18 has cornering ABS, is Euro-4 Emission Compliant(a hair less torque), a quieter taller and differently shaped windscreen, a black tachometer bezel, gas tank slightly narrowed at the rear, black seat support frame, black footpegs, black upper fork tubes, slightly modified clutch basket, different colors. The '18 comes standard with the lower cowl.
Depending on price and condition, in no way would any of that get me off my '14 DL1K and onto a '18.
For '18 the oem accessory 35L top box now has a backpad for the passenger. Also there is a new 55L top box, holds 2 full-face helmets, requires a different mounting pad(metal instead of plastic), and Suzi warns against using this larger box with the accessory side bags installed. Also...it's damn expensive.
The XT has anodized gold spoke wheels and hand guards.
The '18 also has 1-button push to start, and programming that raises idle speed to prevent stalling when you let out the clutch.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 08-22-2018 at 10:15 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
and programming that raises idle speed to prevent stalling when you let out the clutch
I though all '14+ got that in the ECU recall?

Personally i see a nice difference from the old ECU

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 12:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastacos View Post
I own a klr and have ridden it cross country with no issues but am wanting something a little more powerful. I normally ride by myself or with a group of Harleys and though I have no problem keeping up or pulling away from them the klr needs a bit more power. I'm looking at either an 18 xt or maybe a low mile 14. Is there significant difference in the two? Anybody have regrets from going from klr to the strom? I'd like to run the Alpine loop in it next year, is that to much to ask of the bike?

Thanks for your help!

I put 60k miles on a KLR 650. Moved up to a 2012 650 Strom.

The Strom was a major upgrade! Double the horsepower, ABS, much better brakes and suspension, fuel injection, etc. Really the 650 is a rocket compared to a KLR.

Moved up to a 2014 1000. Not as dramatic difference as the 650 Strom but it would have been quite the leap straight from a KLR.

Not trying to talk you out of a 1000 but you may want to check out the 650. It's more nimble if you can call a 500lb bike nimble! It was a great transition from the KLR for me. I would have struggled going straight to a 1000.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #5 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null 13 View Post
I though all '14+ got that in the ECU recall?
Personally i see a nice difference from the old ECU
Actually, both my '14 DL1000 and a friend's '14 DL650 would rise the idle speed slightly when releasing the clutch--and this was before my 1000's recall.
It's just that Suzuki mentioned that feature for the 1st time in their press releases for the '18 model 1000.

As per the District Service manager, the recall '14-'15 DL1000 ECU was programmed to have the same driveability characteristics as the '18 model.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-23-2018, 01:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Actually, both my '14 DL1000 and a friend's '14 DL650 would rise the idle speed slightly when releasing the clutch--and this was before my 1000's recall.
It's just that Suzuki mentioned that feature for the 1st time in their press releases for the '18 model 1000.

As per the District Service manager, the recall '14-'15 DL1000 ECU was programmed to have the same driveability characteristics as the '18 model.
That's awesome, cause mine would stall sometimes for no reason at launch.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #7 of 7 Old 08-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I put around 4 to 5,000 miles on my 2006 KLR650 before going directly to the 2014 DL1000. I didn't think it was too much of a leap, but as @Spec says, the 650 is a huge leap past a KLR in many ways, not just power. I still have the KLR, but it's not getting much love and will likely get sold this year.

Now, I also like to ride dirt and have a KLX250(351) and KDX220. If I didn't have these, the KLR would be kept for dirt work. The KLR is a heavy pig, but it's still 150+ lbs lighter than the V2!

2014 DL1000 Khaki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode