New Owner DL1000 '18 XT Has anyone had this problem? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
New Owner DL1000 '18 XT Has anyone had this problem?

I need a crash course (Bad choice of wording?) regarding Crash Bar, Center Stand & Skid Plate for '18 DL1K XT. Leave for NV ride on Aug 4th (75% of road). Does SWMotech, GIVI or other... offer all three as compatible system? Am I to mix and match suppliers? Do I assume all '14 yrs and above products fit '18. I can live without skid and centerstand for this trip but don't want to buy incompatible crash bars in haste. Intended to use my KLR for trip but that shiny yellow beauty is obviously messing with my head as it sits with anticipation next to my trusty thumper...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-16-2018, 12:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I can confirm that the SW Motech Crash bars and skid plate from the 2016, also fit the 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #3 of 22 Old 07-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can confirm Givi Crash Bars for '14 model fit nicely on '18 model DL1000

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)

post #4 of 22 Old 07-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

All '14+ DL1000 accessories work on the '18 model.
Big B likes this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
post #5 of 22 Old 07-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Don't skip the skidplate!!! It would be a sad day to see oil pouring out of your badass brand new bike in the middle of nowhere just because of a stupid rock (Or some other obstacle).......
dwayneh likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-17-2018, 05:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
All '14+ DL1000 accessories work on the '18 model.
Not all. Sides of the subframe are closer to each other on '18 model, for example. I had to do a lot of modification on my Givi topbox brackets and Givi now sells different brackets for '18. Then Crash Bars that have center crossbar just bellow the beak will not work on '18 model as it has the beak lower and bigger then '14 model. And so on...
Currenv likes this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #7 of 22 Old 07-17-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Thanks all!... My current concern is conflict between new Skid Plate and New Center Stand.... I am moving forward with SW Crash Bars which I assume have no shared fastening points or fit up issues with aftermarket Plates or Stands. Are there certain Skid Plates which are not compatible with Stands I should be aware of? Thanks CE
post #8 of 22 Old 07-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
Not all. Sides of the subframe are closer to each other on '18 model, for example. I had to do a lot of modification on my Givi topbox brackets and Givi now sells different brackets for '18. Then Crash Bars that have center crossbar just bellow the beak will not work on '18 model as it has the beak lower and bigger then '14 model. And so on...
Sorry, I meant all accessories that he was asking about. I've never seen crash bars that cross below the beak so that is my bad, I guess.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

post #9 of 22 Old 07-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazEd View Post
Thanks all!... My current concern is conflict between new Skid Plate and New Center Stand.... I am moving forward with SW Crash Bars which I assume have no shared fastening points or fit up issues with aftermarket Plates or Stands. Are there certain Skid Plates which are not compatible with Stands I should be aware of? Thanks CE
I'd be wary of SW Motech stuff, especially their crash bars. I had two sets of their bars break welds for no reason; the ones on my '18 XT broke at 3,000 miles and less than a month. At least one other forum member had the same exact breakage issue on his XT bars. And of course the Suzuki OEM bars (made by SW Motech) on the 2012-2016 650s broke welds a lot as well. Generally sketchy stuff, IMO.

post #10 of 22 Old 07-17-2018, 11:57 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I understand we are all trying to be helpful, but please bear in mind. A statement like Ďall will fití can end up costing someone money and aggravation when the part they just ordered from another country doesnít fit. Not only is there the frustration of fitment, but now the buyer has to deal with shipping it back, possibly a restocking fee, postage fees and possible tariffs.

Again, I know everyone is being helpful; letís just be cautious of all encompassing phrases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAZ4ME likes this.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2018 , center stand , crash bars , dl1000xt , skid plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode