StromTrooper banner

Suzuki LED Indicators, Relay Died, warning - relay location

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  bosnjo 
#1 ·
I have 2017 model DL1000 but used LED indicators, Suzuki OEM kit, that I removed from my previous 2014 DL1000. So, the kit is something like 3 years old. Today, I noticed first I lost all indicators. The switch would do nothing. Then a bit later, they would turn on but not flash. I tried left, right, hazard... All the same, just turned on without flashing. As I was on my way to the dealer for something different, I told him about the problem. Well, the bike is under warranty but the indicators kit is not. So, he handed me cheap chinese relay for LED indicators and let me use his tools and elevator.
I did all the job by myself, and let me tell you, you have to remove almost all bits and pieces under the seat to get to the relay. It is not on the same location as it was on 2014 DL1000, it's burried deep down. After half an hour, the job was done and I had my indicators working with cheap chinese relay. The dealer charged me nothing. He knows I can work well on the bike and it was not the first time he lets me use his shop and tools and charges me nothing.
At least I have my indicators back.
But, he looked closely at what I was doing and said it didn't make sense the position of the relay because it picks a lot of heat straight from the engine. He said the location of the relay on previous model was under the seat so it didn't get any heat from the engine. He said if it happens again, I should relocate the relay to the location where it was on previous model and see if it makes any difference.

See less See more
#4 ·
The location of that relay is a PITA as you mentioned. I didn't relocate it this time around. I will if the LED relay fails. I bought a pack of two so I have a backup.

Considering the location of the relay it doesn't surprise me that it would fail. It is exposed to dirt, water and heat in that location. I made sure the LED relay I bought was a fully sealed unit. A unit with an exposed casing, like the ones with adjustable relay interval knobs, may not last long in that new location.

I also added some dielectric grease on the connectors due to the terrible location. The chinese LED relay, with the steel prongs, will be exposed to the elements otherwise.

#5 · (Edited)
I agree. Any issues with mine and I will move it up under the seat or something. It is in a ridiculously stupid location. Nice that they allowed you to use their lift and tools.

I swapped mine when I installed LED indicators. I set up my fronts to be on all the time and blink just when signalling. I figured it makes for a little more visibility and definition.

#6 ·
I've just gave a better look on the relay. Yes, the OEM relay is 2pin. When I purchased Suzuki LED kit it came with 3pin relay where 3rd pin had green wire to be connected on negative pole on the battery. So, in conclusion, if you install 2pin relay for LED all will work fine but indication on the dash will not go completely off between flashes. Not big deal, I guess, and that's the way I have it on mine. As I already have new 3pin relay with blinking speed adjuster, I plan to run 3rd wire to negative on the battery when I move the relay under the seat.

#7 ·
I have 2017 model DL1000 but used LED indicators, Suzuki OEM kit, that I removed from my previous 2014 DL1000.
With so many LED turn-signal options on the market, I'm surprised that anyone pays a whopping $270 for the Suzuki LED upgrade kit. Comparable options are available for under $100 (and, yes, one has to avoid the cheap crap which is everywhere on Ebay). Just saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.