Engine Heat Excessive! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Engine Heat Excessive!

He guys,

I upgraded from a 650 to a 1000 and while I like the bike well enough, one thing I am finding almost unbearable is the ungodly amount of engine heat on my lower legs. It's ruining the experience. My 650 gave off a little heat as most bikes will. My GSXS- too but nothing like this.

I find myself moving my feet as far out on the pegs as possible to get some cooing. I've resorted to riding in jeans because with my mesh riding pants, the heat goes right to my skin and burns!

I've had 30 bikes over the years and never experienced engine heat like this. Anyone else? Is this the norm for these engines or is something amiss? I can't imagine the internal operating temperatures of the coolant and oil are much higher than the 650 or other bikes.

Thanks

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

I found the 650 to be a cool bike and the V2 to be hotter but my MT09 is over the top.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You're the first that I know of, to be noticing excessive heat coming off the new Stroms.......interesting.
V-Tom and Old Codger like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've not experienced this. In fact, the lack of excessive heat from the Strom was one of the things that I weighed in my decision when I was evaluating the Strom vs other bikes such as the Tiger and the Versys.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
post #5 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Ride a 1000 Kawasaki Concours if you want to feel engine heat. They even created a plastic piece to funnel air towards the rider's legs to help cool it off. Maybe you should make an air funnel.

post #6 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

I find my 2014 DL1k to be one of the coolest running bikes I've ever ridden.
I wear mesh pants with full length boots.. maybe that's why I don't feel the heat on my calves. But I feel no heat coming up into the seat area, like I used to on most other bikes I've had.
How hot is it, where you ride and how much of your riding involves very slow speeds?
SECoda likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I feel the heat on while wearing short pants on short trips to the corner store, but it is far from excessive.

The early ST1300s directed air off the back of the radiator via full body cowling (no blending with cool air) directly to the leg. Some people developed heat blisters through blue jeans. Honda had to install rubber curtains after a few model years to redirect the air.

With much less body cowling, the air off the DL1000 radiator is blended more with cool air so it does not feel anywhere near as hot as the ST1300.

The easiest solution is to wear clothing that shields the heat from the skin. Works for asphalt too. But if it really bugs you, you can try what the early ST1300 owners did. Increase the amount of cool air inside the cowl that bypasses the radiator by installing a vent or removing pieces of the cowl around the radiator. Of course you will be experimenting and breaking new ground so be mindful of unintended consequences like diminished cooling capacity. If you are not fully loaded pulling a trailer I expect you will be fine.
erci likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 09:54 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Strommer View Post
He guys,

I upgraded from a 650 to a 1000 and while I like the bike well enough, one thing I am finding almost unbearable is the ungodly amount of engine heat on my lower legs. It's ruining the experience. My 650 gave off a little heat as most bikes will. My GSXS- too but nothing like this.

I find myself moving my feet as far out on the pegs as possible to get some cooing. I've resorted to riding in jeans because with my mesh riding pants, the heat goes right to my skin and burns!

I've had 30 bikes over the years and never experienced engine heat like this. Anyone else? Is this the norm for these engines or is something amiss? I can't imagine the internal operating temperatures of the coolant and oil are much higher than the 650 or other bikes.

Thanks

Ron

Be thankful you never had to ride a Triumph Sprint ST 1050. You want to talk about heat on the legs!!! My 1000 XT gives a little heat, but nothing worth mentioning. Perhaps after the Triumph my legs are now less sensitive to heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #9 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have been moving my feet outward on my 1000 due to heat also, particularly with mesh pants.
Worse than the 650, but not unbearable. Lots of cooling wind everywhere else

2006 DL 650

2018 DL1000A
post #10 of 22 Old 07-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erci View Post
I find my 2014 DL1k to be one of the coolest running bikes I've ever ridden.
I wear mesh pants with full length boots.. maybe that's why I don't feel the heat on my calves.

Same deal with my '14 DL1K. Stuck for an hour on Highway 57 on the way back from Deals Gap last July, in traffic my ambient air temp gauge read 116F at times--the coolant temp gauge never made it past 3 bars and the fan never came on. Full length boots and mesh pants as well, it was.."purty durn hot", but survived thanks to liberal doses of SmartWater. But I was amazed at how composed the bike was.
erci likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode