Rear Brake Hose Leak ?? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-01-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rear Brake Hose Leak ??

Today I've decided to do a copper compound job on my brake pads, front and rear, as they squeel. The same thing hapened on my 2014 DL1000, just a few months into a ownership. Copper compound solved the squeeling problem until I sold the bike September 2017.
Now, my new model DL1000 started to squeel on the pads few months after I purchased it. I was just to lazy to do a copper compound job, but finally decided to go ahead with it today.
Everything went well on the front pads. But on the rear, when I removed calliper, brake oil started to drip to the floor. I looked carefully trying to find out where it was coming from. At the end, it was coming from between the hose and its protective tube. My conclusion is, if there was a leak, it must be coming from the banjo at the rear brake bottle, as the protective tube starts right at the banjo and you can't see the brake hose. So, it makes sense that the oil is leaking into the space between the brake hose and protective tube.
There was no leak discovered earlier because the brake hose is pointing upwards on its way to rear calliper. By removing the calliper from tle bracket and letting it hang, the hose pointed down to the floor and oil started to drip.
That's the only conclusion I took.
Now, the question is, was there a leak or somebody made a mess assembling the bike and some oil escaped to that space between the hose and its protective tube. I looked at the brake oil level and it is on the top mark. I guess now I have to watch closely the oil level to see if there was a change.
I'll mention this to my dealer next time I pass by his shop.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)

Last edited by bosnjo; 07-01-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-05-2018, 01:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Did you snug up the banjo bolt?

If the banjo bolt is tight, you might have a defective hose with a bad crimp.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

there is serious pressure when applying brake
id assume if there was a leak it would be known quickly
and or it would also get air into system

post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Try THIS:
Spray the entire hose area with Brake Cleaner, cover area with shop towels and use compressed air to dry the area, or allow to dry on its own
Place a piece of wood or spacer of some sort between the brake pads, and sitting on the bike, apply the rear brake pedal HARD for 3 minutes.
If the pedal sinks, you have a leak. If not, and you havent noticed a loss of brake fluid level in the rear brake fluid reservoir, youre good to go.
New model...is this bike still under warranty? If you suspect you have a leaking brake hose and have warranty coverage, have a dealer address this and make sure you get full documentation. Under warranty I would have had them address the brake noise as well. It's what you pay for when you buy a new bike.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Been at the dealer today and he did few tests and there was no leak. Also, he said if there was a leak, no way bottle would be still full. However, he said if I notice anything strange again or if brake fluid level drops, to come and he'll replace bottle and hose.
I have great delaer. And yes, the bike is still under warranty.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode