Skid plate help - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 06-13-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Skid plate help

I have sw motech crash bars on my 18 1000xt I was all set to order a motech skid plate until I saw it bolts to the engine! What were they thinking! The only other option I can find that will work with my crash bars is from happy trail.. Can I run the motech skid without it bolted to the engine? Is there a better skid that will work, anyone use the happy trail? Sorry for all the questions.. Thanks again for any help Nathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Ah, a smart man!

https://www.stromtrooper.com/off-topi...ml#post5265231

Last edited by richlandrick; 06-13-2018 at 06:30 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-13-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have your light bar bracket and I love it! I knew that skid plate bolted to the engine wouldn't work! But what do you suggest I use with my motech crash?

post #4 of 23 Old 06-15-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Since I'm not getting any help here I went ahead and ordered 2 skids with highway pegs from happy trails, one for my dad and for myself. I'll post up a short review when I receive them
post #5 of 23 Old 06-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Izeplin,

Do you have the Suzuki center stand? I opened up my Happy Trails box this afternoon and took a quick look at the install. The skid plate mounts to the side stand bolts on the left side rear and the bolts where the center stand mounts to the frame on the right rear. There's a lot going on in there with spacers, a hose bracket, etc. I'm not positive the HT mount will fit in there with all the other stuff. At a minimum it looks like the bolts won't be long enough.

Anybody know?

It appears in another thread that some folks have been able to mount the HT skid/Suzi center stand combo on 2014+ bikes so it seems like it should... Does anybody know if it will work specifically on a 2018? It would be great to hear before taking all that stuff apart.

Thanks,

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 23 Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

2018 vstrom 1000.....

Suzuki crash bars...happy trails skidplate..Suzuki centerstand...it is easiest to do the install of all 3 prouducts at the same time

post #7 of 23 Old 06-18-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Sounds good Taz,, no I don't have a center stand I hate to lose the ground clearance. My skid is supposed to be delivered Wednesday I'll post up a short review. I read somewhere and the folks a happy trails said it was strong enough to use a jack under it to lift the bike..
post #8 of 23 Old 06-19-2018, 10:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have Suzuki center stand, Happy Trail skid and Givi crash bars. The Happy trails plate is great, solid, good mounts, can lift the bike with it. No problems hooking everything up.
lzeplin likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-21-2018, 02:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the info. I'm traveling this weekend but maybe I'll tackle the skid plate next week.

Vinnie

post #10 of 23 Old 07-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just to complete the circle on my experience... I instantly HT skid plate yesterday. It didn't come with the bushings to adapt to the OEM crashbar crosspiece. I cut a bicycle inner tube and made do. I called HT and left a message since I though they were routinely including those adapters. Maybe I was wrong and maybe it was an oversized on them end - no big deal. If you have Sushi crashbars I'd let them know, though, to increase the odds that you get this bushings.

Vinnie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode