Skid plate help - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
Since I'm not getting any help here I went ahead and ordered 2 skids with highway pegs from happy trails, one for my dad and for myself. I'll post up a short review when I receive them
How are the highway pegs and skid plate? I am thinking about buying the same setup but would like some feed back before I jump on the purchase. Would you buy them again if you had the chance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 PM
$tromtrooper

To those with Givi bars, this is how it has worked out for me.https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...ml#post5347649
fujirio likes this.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

This is the setup I have. Suzuki center stand, Happy Trails skid plate & Motech crash bars. Mine's a V2, but I believe V2 & V3 are the same in this regard.

post #14 of 23 Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirio View Post
How are the highway pegs and skid plate? I am thinking about buying the same setup but would like some feed back before I jump on the purchase. Would you buy them again if you had the chance?
I have the highway pegs on my Happy Trails skid plate. For the most part they are fine, but I do have a couple of gripes

1) At a 34" inseam, my legs are all the way out to reach them. For my comfort, they could be an inch closer. I don't see how a person with a 32" or less inseam would be able to reach the pegs in order to use them without sliding up to the tank.
2) I would not consider the pegs themselves to be rubust. There is some slop in the hinge, and they just don't feel very refined.

These bikes weren't designed with highway pegs in mind, and the ergos of the bike make it difficult to to come up with a solution that is as seamless as the big cruiser types. I only use the highway pegs for short periods to stretch my legs, and if I had it to do again, I would probably buy them.
fujirio likes this.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-23-2019, 01:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstrom46* View Post
I have the highway pegs on my Happy Trails skid plate. For the most part they are fine, but I do have a couple of gripes

1) At a 34" inseam, my legs are all the way out to reach them. For my comfort, they could be an inch closer. I don't see how a person with a 32" or less inseam would be able to reach the pegs in order to use them without sliding up to the tank.
2) I would not consider the pegs themselves to be rubust. There is some slop in the hinge, and they just don't feel very refined.

These bikes weren't designed with highway pegs in mind, and the ergos of the bike make it difficult to to come up with a solution that is as seamless as the big cruiser types. I only use the highway pegs for short periods to stretch my legs, and if I had it to do again, I would probably buy them.
thank you for the reply and feedback it was very helpful. I am going without the highway pegs as I am a 32 seam.
post #16 of 23 Old 01-23-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Sorry for the delayed response. I have the happy trail skid and high bars. I first mounted them on the front of the skid and yes my 32" inseam I could reach them but it wasn't all that comfortable. So I moved them on the front side and now they feel great, plenty of room.
It's a we'll made skid very strong fits great but it's way wider than it needs to be. Overall I'm happy with it.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response. I have the happy trail skid and high bars. I first mounted them on the front of the skid and yes my 32" inseam I could reach them but it wasn't all that comfortable. So I moved them on the front side and now they feel great, plenty of room.
It's a we'll made skid very strong fits great but it's way wider than it needs to be. Overall I'm happy with it.

Thank you, maybe I will try this.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Lzepim,

When you get a minute, could post or DM a photo of how you mounted those footpegs? I too have a 32 inch inseam and they're too far away. I haven't been able to figure out how to get them closer.

Thanks,

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 23 Old 01-24-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

It's pretty simple just move the highway bars to the inside drill a new holes add bolt it up. It makes a lot of difference, you can see the original holes where I had it. The bars are a good 1/4" inch from the header, I've ridden it around 3000 miles and so far it hasn't even burned off the paint, I can't see any way that it will cause a problem.

fujirio likes this.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
I want to get a skidplate for my bike, and I was considering either the Happy Trails or the Ravetech one. How do these two compare? If you were to choose one over the another (irrespective of where they're manufactured), which one would it be?

Since delivery, VAT and import duties for any of these will cost me an arm and a leg (I'm in Europe), does anyone know if there's an euro manufacturer for skidplates that do not bolt onto the engine case (no swmotech and givi)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode