Skid plate help - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
Since I'm not getting any help here I went ahead and ordered 2 skids with highway pegs from happy trails, one for my dad and for myself. I'll post up a short review when I receive them
How are the highway pegs and skid plate? I am thinking about buying the same setup but would like some feed back before I jump on the purchase. Would you buy them again if you had the chance?
fujirio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 PM
$tromtrooper
 
nvr2old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greenacres, Wa.
Posts: 2,235
To those with Givi bars, this is how it has worked out for me.https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...ml#post5347649
fujirio likes this.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
nvr2old is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 163
This is the setup I have. Suzuki center stand, Happy Trails skid plate & Motech crash bars. Mine's a V2, but I believe V2 & V3 are the same in this regard.
Houstrom46* is offline  
 
post #14 of 23 Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirio View Post
How are the highway pegs and skid plate? I am thinking about buying the same setup but would like some feed back before I jump on the purchase. Would you buy them again if you had the chance?
I have the highway pegs on my Happy Trails skid plate. For the most part they are fine, but I do have a couple of gripes

1) At a 34" inseam, my legs are all the way out to reach them. For my comfort, they could be an inch closer. I don't see how a person with a 32" or less inseam would be able to reach the pegs in order to use them without sliding up to the tank.
2) I would not consider the pegs themselves to be rubust. There is some slop in the hinge, and they just don't feel very refined.

These bikes weren't designed with highway pegs in mind, and the ergos of the bike make it difficult to to come up with a solution that is as seamless as the big cruiser types. I only use the highway pegs for short periods to stretch my legs, and if I had it to do again, I would probably buy them.
fujirio likes this.
Houstrom46* is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 01-23-2019, 01:39 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 17
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstrom46* View Post
I have the highway pegs on my Happy Trails skid plate. For the most part they are fine, but I do have a couple of gripes

1) At a 34" inseam, my legs are all the way out to reach them. For my comfort, they could be an inch closer. I don't see how a person with a 32" or less inseam would be able to reach the pegs in order to use them without sliding up to the tank.
2) I would not consider the pegs themselves to be rubust. There is some slop in the hinge, and they just don't feel very refined.

These bikes weren't designed with highway pegs in mind, and the ergos of the bike make it difficult to to come up with a solution that is as seamless as the big cruiser types. I only use the highway pegs for short periods to stretch my legs, and if I had it to do again, I would probably buy them.
thank you for the reply and feedback it was very helpful. I am going without the highway pegs as I am a 32 seam.
fujirio is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 01-23-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
lzeplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: The Mountains of NC
Posts: 51
Sorry for the delayed response. I have the happy trail skid and high bars. I first mounted them on the front of the skid and yes my 32" inseam I could reach them but it wasn't all that comfortable. So I moved them on the front side and now they feel great, plenty of room.
It's a we'll made skid very strong fits great but it's way wider than it needs to be. Overall I'm happy with it.
lzeplin is online now  
post #17 of 23 Old 01-24-2019, 01:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. I have the happy trail skid and high bars. I first mounted them on the front of the skid and yes my 32" inseam I could reach them but it wasn't all that comfortable. So I moved them on the front side and now they feel great, plenty of room.
It's a we'll made skid very strong fits great but it's way wider than it needs to be. Overall I'm happy with it.

Thank you, maybe I will try this.
fujirio is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 01-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzeplin View Post
Sorry for the delayed response. I have the happy trail skid and high bars. I first mounted them on the front of the skid and yes my 32" inseam I could reach them but it wasn't all that comfortable. So I moved them on the front side and now they feel great, plenty of room.

It's a we'll made skid very strong fits great but it's way wider than it needs to be. Overall I'm happy with it.

Lzepim,

When you get a minute, could post or DM a photo of how you mounted those footpegs? I too have a 32 inch inseam and they're too far away. I haven't been able to figure out how to get them closer.

Thanks,

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Currenv is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 01-24-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
lzeplin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: The Mountains of NC
Posts: 51
It's pretty simple just move the highway bars to the inside drill a new holes add bolt it up. It makes a lot of difference, you can see the original holes where I had it. The bars are a good 1/4" inch from the header, I've ridden it around 3000 miles and so far it hasn't even burned off the paint, I can't see any way that it will cause a problem.


fujirio likes this.
lzeplin is online now  
post #20 of 23 Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 9
Garage
I want to get a skidplate for my bike, and I was considering either the Happy Trails or the Ravetech one. How do these two compare? If you were to choose one over the another (irrespective of where they're manufactured), which one would it be?

Since delivery, VAT and import duties for any of these will cost me an arm and a leg (I'm in Europe), does anyone know if there's an euro manufacturer for skidplates that do not bolt onto the engine case (no swmotech and givi)?
rasebo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome