New Handlebars - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 06-10-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

New Handlebars

I need some new bars for my '18 1000xt. I was getting a bit of pain in my left wrist and I'm thinking something with less sweep angle would be good. Height-wise, they seemed fine. I wouldn't mind a little more, but don't want to have to swap cables or hoses. I can't seem to find any specs on the OEM bars to compare to the charts of various manufacturers.

I had also thought about smaller/different mirrors and either custom seat or modifying and recovering this one. As it turns out, replacement of these items was hastily accelerated yesterday. I got back from a long trip just days ago and went riding and out to lunch with a friend yesterday. Almost back into town, I went into a traffic circle a little hot. I think I hit the big white painted arrow as I was leaned over and the front just let go instantly. Suddenly, I was watching sparks fly off my bike as I followed head up, skidding on my belly like Superman.

Hopefully, I'm not the very first one to crash an '18.The bars are bent pretty badly. Handguard and bar end are rashed but usable. Left footpeg mount plate and left mirror broke. The GIVI bars prevented a lot more damage. Left side is pushed in close to the plastic and bracket that attaches to the upper radiator mount is bent. Seat has a couple small tears in the covering.

Helmet was untouched. Tourmaster (used eBay find) protected me well as it sacrificed itself to the asphalt. I was wearing jeans instead of my normal riding pants. Just a couple small holes, but no skin rash. I could say it sucks to crash your new bike on your birthday, but I'm really very lucky. So many scenarios have played thru my head with much worse outcome.

I jumped (OK, slithered might be more accurate) on the back of my friend's bike and we went to get my truck and trailer. Another example of my luck, trailer was still attached from a job a couple days ago. When we returned, I was greeted by a sheriff's deputy. She didn't like that I had no paperwork on me and had left the scene. I think she soon realized I had not been drinking and just had a brain fart, and was having a bad enough day. No ticket or anything.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-10-2018, 01:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wow, sorry to hear this. And on your birthday yet! Do you think the Battlewing tires contributed? Many don't seem to like them.

Let me know if there's anything I can do from Ann Arbor.

Vinnie

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
bighammer likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-10-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'm beyond the Battlewings. I thought they were pretty decent for the road, marginal for off. I replaced them at about 6k while I was in the Portland/Vancouver area. I have Shinko 705's now. I think I was just asking too much of the tire-- Pilot error.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT

post #4 of 24 Old 06-10-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Somehow thought these were alloy; they're steel.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RCbYUA4ojAw3jT3v9

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
post #5 of 24 Old 06-10-2018, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

BH, I wouldnt go so far as to say you were lucky, but the very best thing is that you werent hurt.
Just goes to show how one's fortunes can change in a heartbeat.
I am considering going to the '18 DL1K XT handlebar on my '14 DL1000A. I'd have to change the handlebar saddle mounts, but I like that thicker-in-the middle design, am curios if that lessens bar vibration, not that I'm suffering with it now.
I'll be doing some parts microfiche comparisons this evening.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-11-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

LOL, the Suzuki bars were listed at around 160 bucks. Not sure how many of those they will ever sell. I ordered a set of ProTaper EVO Adventure high bend. Hoping they work out OK. It gets dizzying looking at the different bar specs.
Mulewright likes this.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
post #7 of 24 Old 06-11-2018, 08:36 AM
$tromtrooper

Location: Homeless, just a drifter. Traveling in my RV, towing my Vstrom on a trailer.
The one thing I donít like about my 2014 650 is the bars. Not sure if itís because Iím gripping them like I used to do on dirt bikes, but my wrist get twisted out. I would like a bar with less curve, maybe just straight at the end and a little higher.

2014 Vstrom 650
post #8 of 24 Old 06-11-2018, 10:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

BigHammer,

Oh what the heck- the XT's fat bars are steel... Sheez, I just assumed the bars were aluminum, but we learn something every day. I suppose for '19, Suzuki will boast that the bars are now aluminum but not tell that it's recycled beer can aluminum. I think a pair of gold aluminum ProTapers complete with the bar pad would be a nice bling upgrade.

Selecting bars... Yeah, it gets to be a bit much to figure out which bar bend is THE one. How much rise, how much clamp space, pull back, and verify there is enough bar end length/space for the controls etc.

Something which you can also consider to raise your handlebars, is to add a pair of these handlebar risers.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ndlebar-Risers

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

You may have heard this too but it maybe of some use if you have not.

I have known some set-up cognizant types say to;

1) sit on the bike in your sweet spot with your hands in your lap
2) close your eyes
3) reach forward (eyes still closed) and grab the bars
4) open your eyes and observe your intuitive hand location relative to existing bars pull-back and height
5) note the break of your wrist to theoretically judge ideal sweep back

In my experience;

Some measuring, deduction, research etc. will lead to a specification neighborhood to begin trial and error fitting, testing, rejection and (maybe) starting all over again.

Lather, rinse, repeat until a liveable compromise is reached.

An original quote by Nostromdumbass;

Facebook: making humanity yearn for the times when people used to talk behind others backs.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-11-2018, 12:49 PM
2015 DL650

Garage
If you do install new handlebars, just be aware of some potential compatibility issues. I pasted a link to some potential solutions others have used for the installation

https://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=414559

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode