Passenger comfort - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Passenger comfort

Hi everyone, just joined..

I'm taking a hard look at the '18 Vstrom 1000XT. I currently have a Harley Road King which has been wonderful but I'm thinking about a different type of bike now. My wife has plenty of room on the RK but I'm wondering how comfortable she'd be on the Vstrom? I'm sure there'll be less heat but how is the seat comfort and the leg room? She is used to a back rest as well but I imagine there's an aftermarket version some where. We usually ride for a couple of hours then a quick pit stop and we're off again. She's 5'5 /120. I'm sure it'll handle well given it's likely 250lbs lighter.

Thanks for your input!
dwayneh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
It has more hp than the RK, and will most certainly work well for 2 up. The stock seat isn't so great for most, and with a seat like the Corbin, you can get a nice removable/adjustable back rest. You are both moving to a standard seating position, a bit like a big dirt bike. I have ridden so many different kinds of bikes, and for ME the big ADV bikes like this are the most comfy for even long distance. Seating for the passenger can get a bit more cramped or harder to mount/dismount the bike with panniers mounted, and this bike is TALL compared to what you are used to.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 27 Old 06-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Nothing can beat the comfort of a cruiser for a passenger, but 18 Vee is really good, as far as leg room goes. She'll definitely feel like she's WAY up there, after King. Stock seat is not bad at all, but again after King you might find yourself wanting to upgrade. Don't have to get expensive seats, btw.. can send them to get re-foamed. I had mine done for $150 and it drastically improved the comfort (7 hour 2up days are just fine).
I would start by going to a dealer and just sitting together on the bike. Should give you both a pretty good idea, room-wise.
Also.. you don't necessarily have to get a back rest if you're going to get a top box. Top boxes make for great back rests (most have optional soft pads)
bobbyvstrom likes this.

post #4 of 27 Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
True about the top cases having a back pad option, but they most certainly aren't soft "so says my wife".
erci likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 27 Old 06-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a ‘16 650 but it’s similar enough to your 1000 to provide some input. My wife was amazed at how comfortable the pillion is. She’s happy enough on the Strom that I might be putting my Goldwing up for sale. Of course it’s not the same as sitting on the “couch like” Wing but she enjoys it. The longer suspension smooths the ride out nicely. I use a top case without the pad as her backrest. Side cases definitely make mounting the bike more difficult for her. We’re both over half a century old so she’s not quite as limber as she used to be.
post #6 of 27 Old 06-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
True about the top cases having a back pad option, but they most certainly aren't soft "so says my wife".
lol. My wife's jacket has built-in protection. So the pad is redundant. She just leans against the top case.
bobbyvstrom likes this.
post #7 of 27 Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks all for the great feedback. As ERCI says I need to get to a dealership and both of us sit on one to get a sense of the space etc.
erci likes this.
post #8 of 27 Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

For me, this is more of an escape the wife machine.
Big B and Outbackwack like this.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I ride two up often with my '18 XT and my wife uses the top case as a back rest. I bought the Shad SH48 and backrest kit. She reports that the backrest is pretty good. I haven't seen any other top case with a similar back rest.

Here are a couple of pics with the Shad SH48 and the Shad SH23 side cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top-Side cases 1 b.jpg (16.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Top-Side cases 2 b.jpg (23.5 KB, 34 views)
erci likes this.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I would start out with a good Russell Day Long Seat.

NewStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode