• 1 Post By MAZ4ME
  • 1 Post By MAZ4ME

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
EVO vs Shad vs ?? cases

Hey Folks,

I've got a dilemma that I'm trying to figure out... and the problem is probably just my taste. I've never had side cases or a hard top case on a bike - right now I have a soft top case (see avatar / garage pics). It's pretty low profile, so it doesn't bother me much... I just bought the Vee XT, and am looking to get it appropriately equipped. My riding will be primarily commuting to work and around-town. Longer distance riding will be less than I'd like, but that's a different problem. I'm looking to be able to store my helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and possibly shoes. I'm also not sure how crazy I am about a hard top-case. By itself (without side cases), a hard top-case just looks .... odd to me. I don't know that I'd ever use all three, so it seems to me that perhaps side cases would be more beneficial than just a top case... But as I list all the crap to store, perhaps all 3 is the realistic solution.

It seems most prefer top-load side cases like the EVO, but I'm not sure I like the big, boxy look of them. I prefer cases that look a little more 'streamlined', similar to what comes stock on the Versys. I know Suzuki makes cases like these, but my understanding is there's not much capacity to them. Revzilla recommended the Shad SH35 sidecases to me - which I like the look of more than something like the EVOs, and can apparently fit a helmet. Has anyone installed SH35's on their Vee XT? Anyone know what the quality of Shad vs EVO? Any better options that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

It ends up being a personal decision based on your needs and preferences.

A bunch of bikes have molded plastic side cases that fit really tight to the bike and are streamlined and they usually look really nice. And I've never seen a set that have enough room for my needs. They tend to be very small and often have molded protrusions into one or both sides, making their interior volume even smaller, in order to allow them to be so tightly fitted to the bike. Also, they are almost all side-loading which I find to be a royal pain to use, with things falling out of them whenever they're opened.

Personally, I use a pair of TRAX side cases. When I commute on the bike my overpants, boots, jacket, and gloves all go in the two side cases and my helmet comes into the office with me. If I cared enough I'd consider buying a matching top case to put the helmet in but, like you, I'm not a big fan of the look of a top case and I don't mind bringing my helmet in with me or, for short trips like to the store, leaving it hanging on the bike.

For me, durability is less of an issue because I'm not going off-road where I'm likely to drop the bike a lot and beat on the cases. However, I have dropped my old bike (which also had Trax boxes on it) and they not only took the impact with virtually no damage, they also helped protect the bike. Plastic side cases are more likely to break in a drop.
DakotaKid007 likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
post #3 of 8 Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
It ends up being a personal decision based on your needs and preferences.
That covers it all right there.

I prefer the oem cases. Advantages:
Streamlined to the bike, lightweight, integrated bracketry
Takes up less garage space, easier to park
The convenience of 1 key for everything on the bike-ignition, seat, gas cap, and luggage
Ive never had things fall out of my bags when opened--they have internal retaining straps
The dealer left the side cases and brackets on by mistake and didnt charge me for them(!)
With the top case on the bike, Ive learned to be a contortionist getting on and off the bike
Disadvantages:

They feel a bit fragile
Stupidly expensive retail
Repair parts not available separately from Suzuki-break a side case or any part of it, buy a case set
The right side case is smaller inside as it loses space wrapping around the muffler

I ordered a Suzuki oem accessories tailbag made for the '12-16 Vstrom650 from England(not sold here in the US). It fits the '14-'18 Vstrom1000 perfectly with the top case mounting pad. It's a Bags- Connection piece, matches my oem Suzi tank bags. Smaller than my top box, easier to get on and off the bike. The side cases and rear bag are always on the bike unless I need more room for a trip, then the rear bag gets exchanged for the top box.

Forget putting a helmet in the side cases, too narrow. My old helmet fit in the 35L top box, my new helmet does not. But Suzuki now offers a 55L top box, supposed to hold 2 full-face helmets and whatever else. But...it requires a metal mounting bracket for the plastic rear rack, is approx $950(!!!) retail...and is not supposed to be used with the side cases installed.

For my purposes (and what I didnt have to pay for) I'm happy with my oem cases. Your needs and preferences may differ from mine.
DakotaKid007 likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Good things to consider... Thanks for the responses! I have the three lock that came with the bike (under the seat). I presume those will fit in most side-cases, making everything single key. But not that I say that... one more thing to check into....
post #5 of 8 Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Dakota, I doubt seriously that the oem locks that came with your bike will fit any luggage other than the oem Suzuki Accessories luggage.
I bought my Vstrom1000 for use as a sport-tourer. Not for off-roading, not to look like I'm competing in the Paris-Dakar Rally. I dont need to bring a car-trunk size load with me, I just go elemental, bring the basics and a bit more. So for me, the oem cases are just fine. But your needs may be, and probably are different from mine.
With the side and top eom cases, and the oem Large Tank Bag, I have plenty of rom for the gear I take on multistate rides.
Before the Vstrom, it was my 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 that did the sport-touring for me. Cortech Sport Tankbag 3 different sizes depending on trip, Cortech Sport Saddlebag and Top Bag Combo, and I was livin' large! 2 minutes on, 1 minute off the bike and the bags were in the motel as I rode my bike with just the tankbag. I was never lacking for space with those bags either.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 06-04-2018 at 11:20 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

I can almost guarantee that the lock cylinders will only work with the OEM cases and not any others.

If I had gotten the OEM side cases for free I too would probably make due with them, but I wouldn't pay for them.

Here's an image of one of them open.

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/Pho...rom-1000-3.jpg

For me, that style case are always too small and things fall out of them. Imagine trying to toss a bottle of water and/or a can of chain lube and other things in there. Or trying to stuff your boots, jacket, and overpants in them (along with said water bottle, chain lube, etc). I seriously doubt my Alpinestars boots would fit in those boxes at all, much less along with the overpants in the same case (which is what I do with them with my 37L Trax boxes). As far as having a single key, it just doesn't seem like a significant issue to me. The Trax boxes use a small key which goes on the key ring with the bike key.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
post #7 of 8 Old 06-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Cambion, as you pointed out, it's a personal decision.
All the things you mentioned above, I do get into my cases, and have never had anything fall out of them. One thing though...I use RoadGear Mesh Bags in my side cases. Everything is contained and easy to see and access. I do like the integration of the pieces to the bike, not a fan of the "Widette Look", and I dont need huge military-spec box cases either. But many do, nothing wrong them them at all.
If I hadnt gotten my deal on the side cases I would have probably gone with a Cortech/Tourmaster Tri-Bag setup. Relatively inexpensive, easy on/off the bike, and I've been using them on my ZRX1100 for 17 years without a hitch. My dealer gave me a huge discount on the oem Suzuki Top Case, bag-to-rack mounting pad, small and large tankbags and mounts. My favorite of all of them is the Suzi oem accessories DL650 Rear Rack Bag. As I said, not sold in the US, I had to order it from England, and with the rear rack top case mounting pad, it fits like it grew there.
Different riding regimens, different luggage requirements. I wouldnt want anything else.
A friend of mine has a Kawasaki Versys 1000, and by comparison the Kaw oem accessory side bags are frick'n HUGE! Color-matched to the bike also, instead of the ersatz-Samsonite look of the Suzi bags. But he uses the Versys strictly for 2-up riding, and he uses all the space those bags have.
Some like chocolate, some like vanilla...
Cambion likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Yeah, I don't think I'll have a ton to store either: It'll essentially be a commuter bike, so will need to hold my gear while at work. If I take any trips, any cargo will likely be carried in the support van (ie, wife and the kids). I don't really head out by myself...

The OEM cases would probably be large enough really, but like others have said, I don't want to shell out the cash for them. I've been researching the Givi's and Shad's - but I'm not sure if the Givi's will fit. I hadn't heard of Cortech - I'll look into them too.

I was between the Vee and the Versys 1000, mainly because this will be 99% a road bike, and I liked that the Versys came with bags. But after riding them, I just liked the Vee better, and I really wanted the corning ABS.

That's too bad that the cylinders aren't interchangeable. Seems kind of odd that they're not, but like you said, it's not a big deal. Two keys on the ring isn't much worse than one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode