600 Mile Service by Yamaha - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes
  • 1 Post By Lrobby99
  • 1 Post By BrianS
  • 1 Post By dwayneh
  • 1 Post By Lrobby99
  • 1 Post By dwayneh
  • 1 Post By Lrobby99
  • 1 Post By redrage6
  • 1 Post By RCinNC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-31-2018, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
600 Mile Service by Yamaha

After much experience, I have long made use of a really top notch Yamaha dealer service department when my bike needs work I won't do myself. They have done fine work. Conversely, the Suzuki dealer is just plain difficult to work with, slow, expensive, and they just don't give a damn.

The 600 mile service is coming up and I'd like to use the Yamaha dealer. They will be happy to do so and can do everything needed except "hook it up to the computer".

I realize this is a glorified oil change, but I would like a good technician to a good inspection looking for anything not right, or mistakes left by the selling dealer.

Any major drawbacks proceeding with the Yammy guys?
I guess I could bring them a filter.
dwayneh likes this.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-31-2018, 01:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

The service quality varies from dealer to dealer ... not necessarily related to the actual brand. Place that sold me Vstrom also sells Yamaha motorcycles. I bought FZ07 from them ... top notch work regardless what bike was brought in for service.
Lrobby99 likes this.

Toronto, Canada
------------------
2015 V-Strom 1000
post #3 of 10 Old 05-31-2018, 02:07 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
600 Mile Service by Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
After much experience, I have long made use of a really top notch Yamaha dealer service department when my bike needs work I won't do myself. They have done fine work. Conversely, the Suzuki dealer is just plain difficult to work with, slow, expensive, and they just don't give a damn.

The 600 mile service is coming up and I'd like to use the Yamaha dealer. They will be happy to do so and can do everything needed except "hook it up to the computer".

I realize this is a glorified oil change, but I would like a good technician to a good inspection looking for anything not right, or mistakes left by the selling dealer.

Any major drawbacks proceeding with the Yammy guys?

I guess I could bring them a filter.

Save all of your receipts, make sure the mechanic signs off on a 1000km (I guess thatís 600Miles), sheet that indicates he did inspect all the components that should be checked post delivery. A couple reasons: for your warranty, also if you are involved in an accident, having that signed inspection sheet, that covers all required checks as indicated in the owners manual, will prove you did do diligence. ALSO, a signature is useless without a printed name next to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lrobby99 likes this.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)

post #4 of 10 Old 05-31-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Does the Suzuki dealer actually connect to a computer to run a diagnostics for a 600 mile service? I wonder.
dwayneh likes this.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-31-2018, 02:13 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
Does the Suzuki dealer actually connect to a computer to run a diagnostics for a 600 mile service? I wonder.

If they are as the OP stated, I doubt they will go through the trouble...then again, if thereís any service recalls.

Lrobby99 likes this.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #6 of 10 Old 05-31-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
If they are as the OP stated, I doubt they will go through the trouble...then again, if thereís any service recalls.

I suppose the possibility of service recalls is a good reason by itself to let the Suzuki dealer have a go at it.
BrianS likes this.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-31-2018, 02:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
"Conversely, the Suzuki dealer is just plain difficult to work with, slow, expensive, and they just don't give a damn"

I Thought you lived on Long Island for a minute. Describes the dealership I work across from exactly! Just drove 20 min. to another dealer to buy a 2018 dl1000 and saved thousands.
Lrobby99 likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Personally I would not take my Suzuki to a Yamaha dealer for service unless there was no other option. The Yamaha guys will likely be looking at your bike for the first time, where the Suzuki guys will spot things wrong right away.

Anyone can figure out how to change the oil, but the Yamaha guys might guess at torque values rather than look them up, they may not know the oil drain plug strips out easily on these bikes, or other peculiarities.

The Warranty thing is another detriment although I did my own 600 mile checkup and nobody seemed to care.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you live in the US, and your vehicle has a written warranty (which Suzuki does), then the warranty has to comply with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act; that means that the manufacturer can't stipulate that your bike has to be serviced by a specific shop or you'll void the warranty. Servicing your bike by yourself has no bearing on the warranty, and a warranty claim can't be denied simply because you do your own service.

The manufacturer under the Act can compel you to have any warranty work done at a service center they designate (which is why Yamaha can't do Suzuki warranty work, unless they're also an authorized Suzuki service center). If you do your own work, then keep your own records of what you do, along with things like receipts for stuff you buy. Those will back you up on any warranty claim. In addition to the receipts, this is the kind of written record I keep of my own maintenance:

The rules are different for guys outside the US, so the above only applies to riders in the States. I only bring this up because the warranty issue is kind of misunderstood, and the more unscrupulous dealers try and reinforce the fear in owners that, if they don't pay for their shop to do the work, the manufacturer will deny any warranty claim.

I appreciate what Bugzy is saying, but the idea that you're getting a highly trained Suzuki mechanic to do a 600 mile service when you go to a Suzuki shop isn't a given. As Lrobby99 already surmised, a 600 mile service is a glorified oil change. Now, it's possible you'll get a trained Suzuki mechanic if the shop isn't too busy with actual mechanical work, but it's just as likely your service is going to be done by the shop monkey who does all the low end tasks like oil changes, mounting tires, etc. That's usually because the highly trained guys are over working on the jobs that are making the shop a lot more money. Maybe he'll diligently check every fastener on the bike, maybe he'll diligently check every item under the 600 mile service that's listed in your owner's manual, and maybe he won't. And maybe he'll check the torque values of your oil drain bolt, and maybe he won't. Even being a trained Suzuki mechanic doesn't mean he's whipping out a torque wrench for that; lots of them aren't going to. There are plenty of horror stories on here of guys who took their bikes in to be serviced by "trained Suzuki mechanics".

I do agree that for some tasks, I'd be more comfortable with someone who's familiar with the ins and outs of my particular bike. There are always idiosyncrasies with a bike that someone familiar with the bike would be clued into. However, in the case of my bike, the local shop (now closed) had only sold one of them in the entire model history of the bike. Their Yamaha mechanics had no particular expertise with that model; when they inspected it, the guys in the shop walked over to look at it because they hadn't seen one up close. So, if they'd had to work on it, they'd have been doing what a non-Yamaha trained mechanic would have done; looked stuff up in a service manual. I bet a lot of Suzuki shop mechanics haven't seen a surplus of V-Stroms either, unless you go someplace like Romney Cycles. But a well trained motorcycle mechanic is a well trained motorcycle mechanic; they know how the general systems in a motorcycle are supposed to work, and for stuff they need specifics on, they go look in a manual. I'd probably trust an excellent mechanic whose skills I knew by reputation, but who might not be intimately familiar with my bike, over a mechanic of unknown caliber who happened to be employed by the shop who sells my brand of bike.
Lrobby99 likes this.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #10 of 10 Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
All went well with my Yamaha-Suzuki 600 mile service. The only ingredient missing was rubbing the nose of the useless Suzuki dealership's nose in it. Too bad-that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode