Removing the Tank... Any Helpful Hints? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes
  • 2 Post By Ron Strommer
  • 3 Post By G-Dub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Removing the Tank... Any Helpful Hints?

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to remove the tank for the first time. My previous Strom was a Wee it was petty easy to remove. There's also a great thread in the 650 section on how to do it.

On the new Vee I'm just going to start taking off trim, get down to the tank and start looking for the hardware that's holding it down. If anyone has any hints, tips or tricks I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I was reading the owner manual yesterday and there's a section explaining the tank removal

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Strommer View Post
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to remove the tank for the first time. My previous Strom was a Wee it was petty easy to remove. There's also a great thread in the 650 section on how to do it.

On the new Vee I'm just going to start taking off trim, get down to the tank and start looking for the hardware that's holding it down. If anyone has any hints, tips or tricks I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks

Ron
Yes, I have a lot of great tips on removing the tank, but I haven't run them by Big B for his approval, so I can't post them up.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard and lots of custom parts and mods

2007 Suzuki Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead View Post
I was reading the owner manual yesterday and there's a section explaining the tank removal
Well now I feel stupid. For some reason I didn't think the manual would mention anything that in-depth. I'll take a look.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well the tank was off in fifteen minutes. That was too easy. Easier than the Wee!

Please disregard my premature cry for help.

Ron
Spec and basshead like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

I know the horse has left the barn, so to speak, but my tip is to take a piece of corrugated cardboard and push all the fasteners into it (helps to pre-punch a small hole) and label what piece they came out of. I just go across and down in order of removal, like writing on a page. Then I just reverse it for installation. Helps me remember the order to put the pieces back and I don't end up with a leftover fastener, wondering where the heck it went. You can save it and use multiple times.
Cambion, Bugzy and kd70qc like this.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode