2018 DL1K - Clutch out noise - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes
  • 1 Post By dwayneh
  • 2 Post By realshelby
  • 2 Post By MeefZah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-21-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2018 DL1K - Clutch out noise

ok... so 1700 miles in and something other than FI is beginning to bother me.

Frigging clutch out noise.. Anyone else hearing this? Don't get me wrong, all bikes do it, and I'm learned in many including this engine, but I expected this to be quieter for longer if that makes sense. Bout the same clutch out noise as my 76,000 miles SV1K. (Modified basket now obviously).

Am I just being paranoid...

On the positive... Was expecting crank slap IH Noises also by now, but seriously... "not a sausage". No sense of teh IH at all even when in hot traffic, hot day.. My SV hammers like a 3 ton steel bench press, and did since the day I bought it 5yrs and 55K miles ago. I've learned to ignore that and 'shame' into higher rpm idle when a few bikes next to me at the lights... : ).

"Man, motorcycles and guitars"...

In Garage
2018 DL1000 L8 "The Banana"
2005 GSXR1000 "The Screamer"
2004 SV1000S "The Monster"
1974 T-350 "The Rebel"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Idle hammer is extremely well documented, Suzuki obviously never fixed it for the new 1000's either.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom ďDoloresĒ

post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

au Contraie

Just to reiterate - NO sign at all of IH on my 2018 DL. Its Absolutely SWEEEEEEEETTTT.....

Its the clutch out noise that bugs at me ....

Fully aware of both clutch basket issues and IH's and their wonderful fixes by
wonderful gentlemen.

Again, I knew the basket for the DL18 still wasn't properly engineered before purchase - indeed appear similar to SV's again, some most learned and wonderful folks have posted such info publicly.

I kinda just expected a new bike to be quieter clutch out for more than 1700 mi.

"Man, motorcycles and guitars"...

In Garage
2018 DL1000 L8 "The Banana"
2005 GSXR1000 "The Screamer"
2004 SV1000S "The Monster"
1974 T-350 "The Rebel"

Last edited by The Infidel; 05-21-2018 at 12:08 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2018, 01:27 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
ok... so 1700 miles in and something other than FI is beginning to bother me.

Frigging clutch out noise.. Anyone else hearing this? Don't get me wrong, all bikes do it, and I'm learned in many including this engine, but I expected this to be quieter for longer if that makes sense. Bout the same clutch out noise as my 76,000 miles SV1K. (Modified basket now obviously).

Am I just being paranoid...

On the positive... Was expecting crank slap IH Noises also by now, but seriously... "not a sausage". No sense of teh IH at all even when in hot traffic, hot day.. My SV hammers like a 3 ton steel bench press, and did since the day I bought it 5yrs and 55K miles ago. I've learned to ignore that and 'shame' into higher rpm idle when a few bikes next to me at the lights... : ).

Mine does the exact same thing. In my case it is not loud, but I can hear it because I?m listening for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hard miles likes this.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #5 of 8 Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think they all do it to an extent, not dependent on mileage. Of course, the level is pretty subjective and no way to compare without having bikes sitting side by side. Don't be surprised if the idle hammer shows up yet; mine didn't for a few thousand miles, maybe around the second oil change. Can't discuss oil here, but oil type and brand might have some effect on the clutch out noise since it's the gear train turning you hear. If you want to get into that you'll have to go to The Big Oil Thread...

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #6 of 8 Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Just remember that "clutch out vs clutch in" isn't all about the clutch basket. There are a lot of bearings, gears, and support parts that slow or stop in the transmission when you pull in the clutch lever. Yes, the clutch basket can make a high percentage of the noise if worn. But at your mileage I highly doubt it is the clutch basket doing the bad deed if it is that loud.
Spec and The Infidel like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #7 of 8 Old 05-23-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Shelby Reassuring, and I was wondering if it was more paranoia - I'd planned to upgrade basket anyhow due to impact it had on my SV ... I guess its still better than my neighbors duc that sounds like spanners in a dryer.

G-dub - funny you mention. I gave dealers EXPRESS wishes with regards how the first changes was to be performed after reading here and elsewhere. Txs to all who contributed.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2018, 10:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Meh, with 19 days and 2300 miles on mine, I have idle hammer (when warm) and clutch noise. Also, I don't give a shit. You can't hear either at 5000 RPM.
iamsmiling and Spec like this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode